Re: [BYOR] Through-hull transducer

  • Des Cameron
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2004
      Hi Jim,
      I would like to add my 2 bits worth if I may.
      I find that there is minimal disadvantage from shooting thru the hull as opposed to drilling.
      The main disadvantage is location - if installed according to instructions it always ends up in the middle of a locker which means that you cannot use that storage space for fear that it will get knocked off its mounting. Now if that mounting was drilled thru the hull you would have the disaster of the sunk type.
      So therefore - install to shoot thru the hull as close as possible to instructions and in a corner out of the path of flying gear. On my 81 B29 its in the forward locker of the double bed just forward of the fresh water tank (factory installed).
      Remember this - "Drilling thru the hull takes years of the the life span of the average skipper"
      Cheers.
      Des.

      Jim Balmer <jwbalmer14420@...> wrote:
      There sure are a lot of opinions! I'm not sure where to go now. I
      thank everyone for responding.

      Assuming that I live though this experience I'll write what I did.

      I have read that through-hull transducers have greater range
      (depth). Is this the only advantage?

      --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Holbrook" <fredh@m...>
      wrote:
      > Jim,
      > We installed a new Standard depth sounder transducer in our 1987
      B29 on the starboard side forward of the fresh water tank - the old
      one was further aft in the galley area - we left that one there
      rather than trying to patch the hole.
      > New one works fine except when following in the wash of a power
      boat going out of a channel -not unusual.