Re: [BYOR] Question about deck fills' gaskets

  • dave
    Message 1 of 24 , May 22, 2013
      As I recall the deck fittings gaskets are just "o" rings so you may have to take the cap to a store to try them on.

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • Rick Willis
      Message 2 of 24 , May 22, 2013
        The o-ring fits in the deck fitting, not the cap. I measure them to be 2 1/8" i.d. X 2 5/16" o.d. Double check me, though, because that's a difference of only 3/16" which ain't much.

        (That can be expressed as 2.125" X 2.3125" if I'm not mistaken (again), making a difference of 0.1875")

        I need to replace those on Puffin, but I wonder if the diesel filler requires a particular material. Nitrile? Silicone?

      • N Tolstikhin
        Message 3 of 24 , May 23, 2013
          Rick, your measurments are the same as mine. I'll try to find something suitable in autoparts store.

          ________________________________
          The o-ring fits in the deck fitting, not the cap. I measure them to be 2 1/8" i.d. X 2 5/16" o.d. Double check me, though, because that's a difference of only 3/16" which ain't much.

          (That can be expressed as 2.125" X 2.3125" if I'm not mistaken (again), making a difference of 0.1875")

          I need to replace those on Puffin, but I wonder if the diesel filler requires a particular material. Nitrile? Silicone?

        • austinrick
          Message 4 of 24 , May 23, 2013
            I'd meant to point out that these are Canadian built boats, so don't neglect the metric sizes when your shopping.

            Message 5 of 24 , May 23, 2013
              I'd meant to point out that these are Canadian built boats, so don't neglect the metric sizes when your shopping.

              --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, N Tolstikhin <ntolst@...> wrote:

              > Rick, your measurments are the same as mine. I'll try to find something suitable in autoparts store.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • somaspack
              Message 6 of 24 , May 26, 2013
                You want nitrile rubber for diesel. Many hardware stores carry sheet rubber of various types and thicknesses. www.amazonsupply.com also sells rubber sheet in small quantities although it may be more expensive compared to other sources. You can cut flat gaskets using a circle cutter or freehand with an x-acto knife.

                Scott
                B29 #17, Jolah

                --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Rick Willis <austin.rick@...> wrote:

                > The o-ring fits in the deck fitting, not the cap. I measure them to be 2 1/8" i.d. X 2 5/16" o.d. Double check me, though, because that's a difference of only 3/16" which ain't much.
                >
                > (That can be expressed as 2.125" X 2.3125" if I'm not mistaken (again), making a difference of 0.1875")
                >
                > I need to replace those on Puffin, but I wonder if the diesel filler requires a particular material. Nitrile? Silicone?

              • Nestor
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 6, 2013
                  Scott,
                  The gaskets' profile in deck fills is round so cutting them from a piece of rubber is impossible. I found one in WM a with the similar thickness but a bit smaller and managed to insert it in the groove. It will be fine for water but I haven't found yet replacement for diesel fuel.
                  Nestor Tolstikhin
                  Bayfield 36' Miracles

                  Sent from my iPad

                  On May 26, 2013, at 7:46 PM, "somaspack" <somaspack@...> wrote:

                  > You want nitrile rubber for diesel. Many hardware stores carry sheet rubber of various types and thicknesses. www.amazonsupply.com also sells rubber sheet in small quantities although it may be more expensive compared to other sources. You can cut flat gaskets using a circle cutter or freehand with an x-acto knife.
                  >
                  > Scott
                  > B29 #17, Jolah
                  >
                  > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Rick Willis <austin.rick@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The o-ring fits in the deck fitting, not the cap. I measure them to be 2 1/8" i.d. X 2 5/16" o.d. Double check me, though, because that's a difference of only 3/16" which ain't much.
                  > >
                  > > (That can be expressed as 2.125" X 2.3125" if I'm not mistaken (again), making a difference of 0.1875")
                  > >
                  > > I need to replace those on Puffin, but I wonder if the diesel filler requires a particular material. Nitrile? Silicone?

                • singa8raja
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 7, 2013
                    Isn't the main purpose of this gasket to keep water out of the diesel?
                    It may not last as long as it is exposed to diesel fumes, but now that you have found a replacement.....

                    Dick

                    --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Nestor <ntolst@...> wrote:

                    > Scott,
                    > The gaskets' profile in deck fills is round so cutting them from a piece of rubber is impossible. I found one in WM a with the similar thickness but a bit smaller and managed to insert it in the groove. It will be fine for water but I haven't found yet replacement for diesel fuel.
                    > Nestor Tolstikhin
                    > Bayfield 36' Miracles

                  • jim irish
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 7, 2013
                      O-ring material is available in both standard and metric and can be made to fit by most industrial supply co. They will measure both the size and diameter can cut and glue a o-ring to fit.
                      Jim Irish
                      Bafield29 Shannon Marie