RE: [BYOR] Question about deck fills' gaskets

  • Brenda E
    Message 1 of 24 , May 21 3:19 PM
      They were made by Atkins and Hoyle-then about 10 years ago they stopped
      making them and sold off all the inventory and got out of the business of
      making the deck fills.

      I know because of extensive searching for a replacement for our boat. The
      good news is someone in the group had an extra cap they offered so I
      graciously accepted.

      No idea on gaskets either-you will most likely need to fab something up or
      Maguiver something that will suffice.

      _____

      From: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:bayfieldyachts%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 24 , May 22 5:02 AM
        Thanks a lot, Brenda.

        ________________________________

        From: mailto:bayfieldyachts%40yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 24 , May 22 6:05 AM
          You might check to see if there are any wrecks in New York or recent hurricane damaged areas that you could scavenge parts from.

          ________________________________

          From: mailto:bayfieldyachts%40yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 24 , May 22 6:14 AM
            As I recall the deck fittings gaskets are just "o" rings so you may have to take the cap to a store to try them on.

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          • Rick Willis
            Message 5 of 24 , May 22 3:26 PM
              The o-ring fits in the deck fitting, not the cap. I measure them to be 2 1/8" i.d. X 2 5/16" o.d. Double check me, though, because that's a difference of only 3/16" which ain't much.

              (That can be expressed as 2.125" X 2.3125" if I'm not mistaken (again), making a difference of 0.1875")

              I need to replace those on Puffin, but I wonder if the diesel filler requires a particular material. Nitrile? Silicone?

            • N Tolstikhin
              Message 6 of 24 , May 23 4:47 AM
                Rick, your measurments are the same as mine. I'll try to find something suitable in autoparts store.

                ________________________________
                The o-ring fits in the deck fitting, not the cap. I measure them to be 2 1/8" i.d. X 2 5/16" o.d. Double check me, though, because that's a difference of only 3/16" which ain't much.

                (That can be expressed as 2.125" X 2.3125" if I'm not mistaken (again), making a difference of 0.1875")

                I need to replace those on Puffin, but I wonder if the diesel filler requires a particular material. Nitrile? Silicone?

              • austinrick
                Message 7 of 24 , May 23 9:26 AM
                  I'd meant to point out that these are Canadian built boats, so don't neglect the metric sizes when your shopping.

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 23 9:40 AM
                    I'd meant to point out that these are Canadian built boats, so don't neglect the metric sizes when your shopping.

                    --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, N Tolstikhin <ntolst@...> wrote:

                    > Rick, your measurments are the same as mine. I'll try to find something suitable in autoparts store.
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • somaspack
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 26 4:46 PM
                      You want nitrile rubber for diesel. Many hardware stores carry sheet rubber of various types and thicknesses. www.amazonsupply.com also sells rubber sheet in small quantities although it may be more expensive compared to other sources. You can cut flat gaskets using a circle cutter or freehand with an x-acto knife.

                      Scott
                      B29 #17, Jolah

                      --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Rick Willis <austin.rick@...> wrote:

                      > The o-ring fits in the deck fitting, not the cap. I measure them to be 2 1/8" i.d. X 2 5/16" o.d. Double check me, though, because that's a difference of only 3/16" which ain't much.
                      >
                      > (That can be expressed as 2.125" X 2.3125" if I'm not mistaken (again), making a difference of 0.1875")
                      >
                      > I need to replace those on Puffin, but I wonder if the diesel filler requires a particular material. Nitrile? Silicone?

                    • Nestor
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 6, 2013
                        Scott,
                        The gaskets' profile in deck fills is round so cutting them from a piece of rubber is impossible. I found one in WM a with the similar thickness but a bit smaller and managed to insert it in the groove. It will be fine for water but I haven't found yet replacement for diesel fuel.
                        Nestor Tolstikhin
                        Bayfield 36' Miracles

                        Sent from my iPad

                        On May 26, 2013, at 7:46 PM, "somaspack" <somaspack@...> wrote:

                        > You want nitrile rubber for diesel. Many hardware stores carry sheet rubber of various types and thicknesses. www.amazonsupply.com also sells rubber sheet in small quantities although it may be more expensive compared to other sources. You can cut flat gaskets using a circle cutter or freehand with an x-acto knife.
                        >
                        > Scott
                        > B29 #17, Jolah
                        >
                        > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Rick Willis <austin.rick@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The o-ring fits in the deck fitting, not the cap. I measure them to be 2 1/8" i.d. X 2 5/16" o.d. Double check me, though, because that's a difference of only 3/16" which ain't much.
                        > >
                        > > (That can be expressed as 2.125" X 2.3125" if I'm not mistaken (again), making a difference of 0.1875")
                        > >
                        > > I need to replace those on Puffin, but I wonder if the diesel filler requires a particular material. Nitrile? Silicone?

                      • singa8raja
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 7, 2013
                          Isn't the main purpose of this gasket to keep water out of the diesel?
                          It may not last as long as it is exposed to diesel fumes, but now that you have found a replacement.....

                          Dick

                          --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Nestor <ntolst@...> wrote:

                          > Scott,
                          > The gaskets' profile in deck fills is round so cutting them from a piece of rubber is impossible. I found one in WM a with the similar thickness but a bit smaller and managed to insert it in the groove. It will be fine for water but I haven't found yet replacement for diesel fuel.
                          > Nestor Tolstikhin
                          > Bayfield 36' Miracles

                        • jim irish
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 7, 2013
                            O-ring material is available in both standard and metric and can be made to fit by most industrial supply co. They will measure both the size and diameter can cut and glue a o-ring to fit.
                            Jim Irish
                            Bafield29 Shannon Marie