Re: [BYOR] Adjusting Portlights / Nicro vent cap

  • Kevin McKinney
    Message 1 of 11 , May 21, 2013
      Heat is the only answer (short of drilling) to break the bond on Loctite.  Unfortuantly, if red loctite was used it requires a minimum temperature of 500F to free the bond. That's a lot of torch work near the portlite. Use caution.
      Kevin McKinney
      Bluejacket  B36

      Message 2 of 11 , May 29, 2013
        Tod, PB Blaster did it!!! I shot a little into the threads after backing off the locknut, waited, worked it some with the allen wrench, and they each finally loosened up.

        Thanks for the tip. It worked!

        --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Herrick Family <gladrags@...> wrote:

        > After talking with Atkins and Hoyle at last years boat show, they let me know that the hinge bolts are installed with loctite. You can free them with heat. As far as the lever bolts, why not squirt PB Blaster into the threads and wait for it to do its magic? Keep surrounding areas covered to protect from overspray or drips.
        >
        > Tod
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On May 20, 2013, at 7:48 PM, "austinrick" <austin.rick@...> wrote:
        >
        > > A few of the locking lever bolts on my B29's ports are firmly frozen in place. Has anyone found a product like Liquid Wrench, or Boeshield that will work down in there and free them up?
        > >
        > > Also, do I recall the Nicro 3" solar vents coming with a cup/cover that fit on the underside of the vent, to block off air flow? Are those available separately?
        > >
        > > thx!
        > >
        > > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Herrick Family <gladrags@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I too have experienced some frustration with the Atkins and Hoyle portalights on my B-36. In trying to remove the opening portion of the portalight to replace the lens, the stainless bolts would bind in the aluminum frames due to dissimilar metals and had to be jackasses off to remove as they became frozen. They then had to be extracted from the hinges on the frame. Very annoying and since this happened to the first portalight I attempted, I haven't felt like moving on to others in need.
        > > >
        > > > About the problem of not being able to keep them open; the manufacturer's system is a terrible system and you should devise other methods, in my opinion. I have put these hooks meant to hang pictures on the frame of the opening port using JB Weld with good success. It would be stronger to drill and screw them but a am nervous drilling into the frame fearing damaging it irreparably. Then I install brass hooks and eyes (apply laquer first) to the ceiling to hang the portalights on. Smooth the JB Weld with a dremel or sanding wheel and paint with rustoleum aluminum paint and it looks very good.
        > > >
        > > > Regarding making a good seal; sometimes gaskets get squished and need to be replaced. Glue them in with all purpose adhesive (forget the name at moment but similar to rubber cement). The bolts going through handle can be tightened by first backing up the nut. After getting them tight enough, tighten down on the nut with a wrench. That should keep the bolts from unscrewing when opening the locking levers.
        > > >
        > > > A&H makes good quality stuff for the most part but sometimes their ideas are goofy (using dissimilar metals) and they are way too expensive. You can do the repair yourself for 1/4 of the cost of their reconditioning.
        > > >
        > > > Good luck.
        > > >
        > > > Tod
        > > >
        > > > Sent from my iPhone

      • Herrick Family