RE: [BYOR] Access to remove/replace the bowsprit on a B32

  • Herrick Family
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 27, 2013
      Depends upon your ISP. Many might incorrectly tag it as spam.

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 27, 2013
        Sounds like a good plan. When anchoring, do you tie off at a cleat on the
        deck or do you feed the rode over the bowsprit? If you do that keep in mind
        the possible high loads in a storm at anchor on the bowsprit! The B-36 is
        supported to the right, left as well as up and down by wire rigging. I'm not
        sure about the B-32.

        When unscrewing the bolts that connected the sprit to the fiberglass, I was
        lucky enough to have the nuts on the bottom unscrew as opposed to the ones
        on top. Hopefully the same can be said for you. If not, vise grips to hold
        and turn the rods might work. Hopefully Sue has nice long arms ;0) .

        Tod

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 27, 2013
          Bruce has very kindly uploaded his document to my dropbox folder. Thanks
          Bruce, it worked fine and a very impressive document it is!

          If anyone else would like to get a copy then please let me know and I will
          make the file available to you for download from my dropbox.

          Don.

          On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Bruce Forbes <i.bruce.forbes@...>wrote:

          > I have a document with a lot of pictures from when I did it on my B36 a few
          > years ago. Unfortunately even as a PDF it's 27 mb so I'm not sure how to
          > share it other than put it on a CD and mail it.

        • nospam forme
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 27, 2013
            Tod:

            The rigging issue will have to be part of the final design. It might take
            some time to figure out my plan.

            Don.

            On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Herrick Family <gladrags@...>wrote:

            > Sounds like a good plan. When anchoring, do you tie off at a cleat on the
            > deck or do you feed the rode over the bowsprit? If you do that keep in mind
            > the possible high loads in a storm at anchor on the bowsprit! The B-36 is
            > supported to the right, left as well as up and down by wire rigging. I'm
            > not
            > sure about the B-32.
            >

            > When unscrewing the bolts that connected the sprit to the fiberglass, I was
            > lucky enough to have the nuts on the bottom unscrew as opposed to the ones
            > on top. Hopefully the same can be said for you. If not, vise grips to hold
            > and turn the rods might work. Hopefully Sue has nice long arms ;0) .
            >

            > Tod

          • John Jamieson
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 27, 2013
              Yes please

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 27, 2013
                I use a nylon bridle which attaches to both mooring cleats with the business end over the end of the bowsprit.  The rode is lead over the roller on the end of the bowsprit.  I then lower the anchor chain below the waterline until the bridle takes the strain.  That way there is no stress on the bowsprit.  I leave some slack in the chain on deck but secure it to one of the mooring cleats as well.  The bridle ensures that the pull on the rode is pretty well centred which minimizes some of the movement when at anchor.

                John

                ________________________________

                On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Herrick Family mailto:gladrags%40comcast.net>wrote:

                > Sounds like a good plan. When anchoring, do you tie off at a cleat on the
                > deck or do you feed the rode over the bowsprit? If you do that keep in mind
                > the possible high loads in a storm at anchor on the bowsprit! The B-36 is
                > supported to the right, left as well as up and down by wire rigging. I'm
                > not
                > sure about the B-32.
                >

                > When unscrewing the bolts that connected the sprit to the fiberglass, I was
                > lucky enough to have the nuts on the bottom unscrew as opposed to the ones
                > on top. Hopefully the same can be said for you. If not, vise grips to hold
                > and turn the rods might work. Hopefully Sue has nice long arms ;0) .
                >

                > Tod

              • Paul Kotlowski
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 27, 2013
                  Nice.

                  ________________________________
                  I use a nylon bridle which attaches to both mooring cleats with the business end over the end of the bowsprit.  The rode is lead over the roller on the end of the bowsprit.  I then lower the anchor chain below the waterline until the bridle takes the strain.  That way there is no stress on the bowsprit.  I leave some slack in the chain on deck but secure it to one of the mooring cleats as well.  The bridle ensures that the pull on the rode is pretty well centred which minimizes some of the movement when at anchor.

                  John

                  ________________________________
                  The rigging issue will have to be part of the final design. It might take
                  some time to figure out my plan.

                  Don.

                  On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Herrick Family mailto:gladrags%40comcast.net>wrote:

                  > Sounds like a good plan. When anchoring, do you tie off at a cleat on the
                  > deck or do you feed the rode over the bowsprit? If you do that keep in mind
                  > the possible high loads in a storm at anchor on the bowsprit! The B-36 is
                  > supported to the right, left as well as up and down by wire rigging. I'm
                  > not
                  > sure about the B-32.
                  >

                  > When unscrewing the bolts that connected the sprit to the fiberglass, I was
                  > lucky enough to have the nuts on the bottom unscrew as opposed to the ones
                  > on top. Hopefully the same can be said for you. If not, vise grips to hold
                  > and turn the rods might work. Hopefully Sue has nice long arms ;0) .
                  >

                  > Tod

                • Paul Kotlowski
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 27, 2013
                    Please.

                    ________________________________
                    Bruce has very kindly uploaded his document to my dropbox folder. Thanks
                    Bruce, it worked fine and a very impressive document it is!

                    If anyone else would like to get a copy then please let me know and I will
                    make the file available to you for download from my dropbox.

                    Don.

                    On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Bruce Forbes mailto:i.bruce.forbes%40gmail.com>wrote:

                    > I have a document with a lot of pictures from when I did it on my B36 a few
                    > years ago. Unfortunately even as a PDF it's 27 mb so I'm not sure how to
                    > share it other than put it on a CD and mail it.

                  • Dennis
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                      We had to replace the bowsprit on our 36. Only 4 1/4 bolts hold it in place. I did not remove the trailboards. (Make sure the trailboards are caulked, with no gaps to the hull, a big wave can get under the boards, and away they go.) Chisel out the old wood, getting access to the bolts, and cut them off. Glass in the old holes and take alot of measurements, you want to get the new mounting holes close to the old ones. When the new sprit is in place, caulk it well and drill new mounting holes from the top. A very long extension has to be made to get to the mounting bolts, access is in the anchor locker. Glue, the nuts, washers and lock washers together, and make a couple of extras. Have someone from the top turn the bolts, and the person below tries to get the nuts and glued washers on without cross threading. Go slow. When I installed ours, only got 1 crossthreaded, back it out and was finished in 15 min. I think I just got lucky. Good Luck

                      --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, nospam forme <nospamformeSVP@...> wrote:

                      > I want to renew our bowsprit and it is not obvious how to access the
                      > fastenings.
                      >
                      > I assume that I have to remove one (hopefully not both) of the trailboards,
                      > but which side?
                      >
                      > And how to remove a trailboard without destroying it?
                      >
                      > Thx. Don.

                    • Dave Hansell
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
                        No need to remove the trailboards.
                        PREP WORK
                        >remove anchor rode and clean anchor locker
                        >secure mast position from inside cabin with wood wedges
                        >run a line from forward cleat around mast (above spreader) to other forward cleat. Tension with a ratchet strap just enough to keep the mast secure.
                        >mark both forward and the aft stay turnbuckle with paint and loosen rig tension forward and aft. The temporary line around mast and the shrouds will hold mast in position.
                        >disconnect wire to the bow light from inside the bow locker. (Or you can simply cut the bow light wire from outside when you remove the rail. Reattach with butt crimps later).
                        >remove bow rail from sockets (6 allen screws and 6 phillip screws).
                        >remove headstay & secure headstay and furler to toe rail. Use lots of carpet padding.
                        >remove inner stay
                        >remove bob stay
                        >remove whisker stays
                        >remove cranes piece (unbolt 10 bolts)

                        REMOVE OLD SPAR
                        >before removing spar, make a pattern of where the spar meets the stem. The pattern is different for the top and bottom and the original spar is a bit rough. If you want a perfect fit make a new pattern.
                        >drill horizontally through spar with a spade bit big enough for a saws all blade.
                        >cut the 4 attachment bolts and the 6 inner stay fitting bolts with saws all
                        >remove spar
                        >make bottom template of spar to stem joint.
                        >try not to damage old spar too much. I separated the top 3/4 inch piece of teak from the old spruce spar and used that for my length template.
                        >reattach inner stay to a ratchet strap wrapped around the beak.
                        I have more if you would like to read about my install procedures.
                        Dave

                        --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, nospam forme <nospamformeSVP@...> wrote:

                        > I want to renew our bowsprit and it is not obvious how to access the
                        > fastenings.
                        >
                        > I assume that I have to remove one (hopefully not both) of the trailboards,
                        > but which side?
                        >
                        > And how to remove a trailboard without destroying it?
                        >
                        > Thx. Don.

                      • nospam forme
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
                          Dave

                          What size Bayfield did you do this on?

                          Don.
                          On Mar 1, 2013 10:39 AM, "Dave Hansell" <davehansell148@...> wrote:

                          > No need to remove the trailboards.
                          > PREP WORK
                          > >remove anchor rode and clean anchor locker
                          > >secure mast position from inside cabin with wood wedges
                          > >run a line from forward cleat around mast (above spreader) to
                          > other forward cleat. Tension with a ratchet strap just enough to keep the
                          > mast secure.
                          > >mark both forward and the aft stay turnbuckle with paint and
                          > loosen rig tension forward and aft. The temporary line around mast and the
                          > shrouds will hold mast in position.
                          > >disconnect wire to the bow light from inside the bow locker. (Or you can
                          > simply cut the bow light wire from outside when you remove the rail.
                          > Reattach with butt crimps later).
                          > >remove bow rail from sockets (6 allen screws and 6 phillip screws).
                          > >remove headstay & secure headstay and furler to toe rail. Use
                          > lots of carpet padding.
                          > >remove inner stay
                          > >remove bob stay
                          > >remove whisker stays
                          > >remove cranes piece (unbolt 10 bolts)
                          >
                          > REMOVE OLD SPAR
                          > >before removing spar, make a pattern of where the spar meets the
                          > stem. The pattern is different for the top and bottom and the original
                          > spar is a bit rough. If you want a perfect fit make a new pattern.
                          > >drill horizontally through spar with a spade bit big enough for a
                          > saws all blade.
                          > >cut the 4 attachment bolts and the 6 inner stay fitting bolts
                          > with saws all
                          > >remove spar
                          > >make bottom template of spar to stem joint.
                          > >try not to damage old spar too much. I separated the top 3/4
                          > inch piece of teak from the old spruce spar and used that for my length
                          > template.
                          > >reattach inner stay to a ratchet strap wrapped around the beak.
                          > I have more if you would like to read about my install procedures.
                          > Dave
                          >

                          > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, nospam forme <nospamformeSVP@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I want to renew our bowsprit and it is not obvious how to access the
                          > > fastenings.
                          > >
                          > > I assume that I have to remove one (hopefully not both) of the
                          > trailboards,
                          > > but which side?
                          > >
                          > > And how to remove a trailboard without destroying it?
                          > >
                          > > Thx. Don.

                        • Dave Hansell
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
                            Don,
                            Also a 32 C, hull #148. An 82 model built in November 1981, ZBY32148M82D. I built and installed a new doug fir spar as part of a total refit I did over the last two years. Let me know if you have any questions.
                            Dave

                          • nospam forme
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
                              Dave, thanks for this. Don.