RE: [BYOR] New Member

  • The Nielsens
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Essegern's [mailto:essegern@...]
      Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2002 2:58 AM
      To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [BYOR] New Member

      Hello, I just joined this list. I have been thinking of buying a boat
      and Bayfield's are on the short list. Likely a 25.

      How many are in Ontario? How does everyone like them? Anybody sale one
      in Lake Erie?

      Rick

      I have read several E.Mail replies re. tiller as opposed to wheel steering;
      one possible advantage of thge tiller is that should your autopilot gom on
      the blink on a long cruise it is much easier to work out a sheet to tiller
      system than a sheet to wheel one.
      I used to use a sheet system on a 25 C&C ond it was very satisfactory.
      If you happen to be interested in sheet to tiller systems I can reccomend
      a good book.

      John Nielsen
    • ELR
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
        I've got a B29 w/wheel. Cockpit is relatively small.
        Under way wheel takes up less cockpit space and gives
        you a pedestal on which to place compass and hang
        other instrumentation and cup holders, leaving cockpit
        bulkheads smooth for leaning against; also, you don't
        have to tell non-sailor guests (should you be foolish
        enough to take any)to move so you can see instruments
        or when coming about. You also gain a place to hang a
        cockpit table under way or at rest. Mounting an
        autopilot may also be a little easier and take up less
        space.

        On the other hand, at rest you can move a tiller
        almost completely out of the way, freeing up the
        entire cockpit. A tiller also has fewer potential
        failure points and requires less maintenance.

        http://greetings.yahoo.com/
      • dreadpir8rob
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 5, 2002
          Hello,

          I am new to the group. I am looking to trade up from my compac 23.
          the B25 seems to fit the bill. I would like to know if there were any
          significant changes to the model over the years. It seems the newer
          B25s have a little heavier displacement. Are some model years more
          desirable, and why? Are there any caveats I need to look for? They
          look great, and fit my desired criteria. How hard are they to launch
          and rig? Is the hull sturdy? Are there any problems with replacment
          parts? Anybody want to trade?

          Thanks,
          Rob Parks
          dreadpir8rob@...
        • Allan Lynde
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 12, 2004
            Hi:
            Just joined the group yesterday. Original owner of Bayfield 32 (Hull No. 37) purchased in 1976 from Aft Cabin Marine in Pickering, Ontario. "SuCassa" has seen Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence river, east coast, Florida, Bahamas and now at home in B.C. waters.

          • spack_80909
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2004
              Hooray! Another northwest Bayfield!

              How did she come to rest in BC?

              We are planning a trip to the Gulf Islands and hopefully even more
              northerly this summer.

              -Scott
              1978 B29 #17 - Jolah (Seattle)

            • tloftis5@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2006
                I'm looking at a 1976 B-25 and was wondering if there are things I should be
                aware of. Have admired these little boats for a long time and now have to
                opportunity to get one. Looking forward to this group.

                Thanks,

                Tom

              • BIll
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 11, 2010
                  Greetings,
                  I just re-discovered the group after an absence of a few years. I sail a Bayfield 29 on Galveston Bay and the Coast of Texas out of South Shore Harbour on Clear Lake. She is Hull # 29 and her original name was Shiaway wind. She came to me from Detroit via Lake Texoma in North Texas. I moved her to the coast replaced all of the fresh water plumbing and renamed her Miss Inclined. I know you folks up North don't want to hear this, but Spring is late here in East Texas. We have not had one decent weather window this year. ;-)
                • Gary Hegg
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 12, 2010
                    Hi Bill,

                    Welcome back to the group.  I'm somewhat new also, and own a Bayfield 25, my first sailboat.  We had hoped to get a little more familiar with our girl, but the weather here has also been wintery, to say the least.  Oh well, Sunday we head for San Felipe, BC and sand, great water and good folks for the remainder of the winter.....good sailing

                    Gary
                    I just re-discovered the group after an absence of a few years. I sail a Bayfield 29 on Galveston Bay and the Coast of Texas out of South Shore Harbour on Clear Lake. She is Hull # 29 and her original name was Shiaway wind. She came to me from Detroit via Lake Texoma in North Texas. I moved her to the coast replaced all of the fresh water plumbing and renamed her Miss Inclined. I know you folks up North don't want to hear this, but Spring is late here in East Texas. We have not had one decent weather window this year. ;-)

                  • Jim Donovan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 16, 2010
                      Thank-you to the moderator[s] of this site for approving my membership.  I hope
                      to be able to gain a finer appreciation for these fine yachts and be able to
                      come to a more informed decision about what kind of sailboat I want to buy.

                      As the season begins to close, hope all Bayfield owners' manage to squeeze in a
                      few more sails!

                      Sincerely,

                      Jim D.

                    • Mark Jackson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 2, 2013
                        Hi, just a quick line to say hello and look forward to sharing information. Have a good day. Mark Jackson

                        Sent from my iPad
                      • Tod Herrick
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 3, 2013

                          Welcome to the group. What Bayfield do you sail (or hope to sail)?

                          Tod

                          Hi, just a quick line to say hello and look forward to sharing information. Have a good day. Mark Jackson

                          Sent from my iPad

                        • R Shannon
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 3, 2013
                            Tod
                            Thank you for the email.  I had a Bristol 27 and a 32, I recently sold them both.   I am actively looking for a B32c if you know anyone that has one for sale.
                            Robert

                            On Sunday, November 3, 2013 10:44 AM, Tod Herrick <gladrags@...> wrote:

                            Welcome to the group. What Bayfield do you sail (or hope to sail)?

                            Tod

                            Hi, just a quick line to say hello and look forward to sharing information. Have a good day. Mark Jackson

                            Sent from my iPad

                          • rckbb
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 3, 2013

                              Mark

                              Thank you for the welcome.  Look forward to participating.

                              Robert