[BYOR] Re: B25 anchor size

  • DaveS
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2012
      I'm not concerned about the cost really. I just want what works best. I'm sure my shop will let me try them on for size.

      best regards

      --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, nospam forme <nospamformeSVP@...> wrote:

      > Bruce-type anchors (like your claw) are quite a challenge on a bow
      > roller. The claws reach back a long way and are high up relative to the
      > anchor shank so that they smash into the bows of the boat unless the roller
      > is set well forward.
      >
      > I like the Bruce type anchor because it sets easily and will hook a rock,
      > but it can roll out easily on a wind shift. Personally, I would not
      > choose one as my primary anchor, I would have gone with a plough type
      > anchor. Plus ploughs are a lot easier to use in a bow roller .
      >
      > I think it is a mistake to choose your anchor based on price. If it is
      > not too late then you might want to reconsider your choice. Try it on your
      > bow roller, that may decide it for you.
      >
      > Don.
      > On Mar 31, 2012 6:08 PM, "DaveS" <daveseroy@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Thanks everyone. All good replies.
      > >
      > > I have to try out the claw on my roller to see how it looks. Originally I
      > > asked for the Lewmar plow but my local shop told me the claw was better at
      > > less than half the cost.
      > >
      > > I wanted to hang the Danforth on the rail but I'm afraid 18 lbs is a bit
      > > much for that. Jamie had good luck w/13 pounders so maybe my secondary can
      > > be a bit smaller. I just want something easy to stow and deploy that won't
      > > break the rail in a swell. I also inherited a 25 or 30 lb (don't know which
      > > but damn big and heavy) folding grappling anchor I could stow somewhere. I
      > > 'll be sailing LI Sound mostly - no Carribean plans in the picture as of
      > > yet.
      > >
      > > best regards
      > >

      > > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Rob Cole <svvita@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I read somewhere once that the only anchor that is to big, is the one
      > > that
      > > > sinks the boat. If you have room for the Danforth, then it doesn't make
      > > > sense to get rid of it. If you don't have the room, then get something
      > > > different. Don't, however, go by the anchor manufactures recommendation,
      > > go
      > > > up one size from that.
      > > >
      > > > We have a B29, and our primary is a 45lb CQR, the secondary is a 25lb
      > > CQR,
      > > > and the stern is a 14lb Danforth. I had a 22lb Danforth, but it just
      > > didn't
      > > > work for us, too big, too hard to handle off the stern. The 45lb is way
      > > > overkill, and I thought about getting rid of it, but instead I just
      > > bought
      > > > a heavier bow roller with a windlass, and I will sleep very well at
      > > night.
      > > >
      > > > All still untested though, who knows.....
      > > >
      > > > Rob

    • alain thevenin
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 4, 2012
        Hi Everyone,

        I'm looking for a second hand Inner Head sail for my Bayfield 32. I'm living in Toronto Ontario. Does anyone knows a place where I can buy it.

        If you do please let me know.

        Thank you very much,

        AlainT

      • DaveS
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4, 2012
          The claw didn't fit at all. Went with the plow and a 10 lb Danforth.

          best regards

          --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Rob Cole <svvita@...> wrote:

          > I read somewhere once that the only anchor that is to big, is the one that
          > sinks the boat. If you have room for the Danforth, then it doesn't make
          > sense to get rid of it. If you don't have the room, then get something
          > different. Don't, however, go by the anchor manufactures recommendation, go
          > up one size from that.
          >
          > We have a B29, and our primary is a 45lb CQR, the secondary is a 25lb CQR,
          > and the stern is a 14lb Danforth. I had a 22lb Danforth, but it just didn't
          > work for us, too big, too hard to handle off the stern. The 45lb is way
          > overkill, and I thought about getting rid of it, but instead I just bought
          > a heavier bow roller with a windlass, and I will sleep very well at night.
          >
          > All still untested though, who knows.....
          >
          > Rob

        • DaveS
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 5, 2012
            I'll stow the 18 pounder in a locker. I have three spools of 1/2 inch 200 ft rode. Ordered 1, got 4! My friend gave me 20 bucks for one. Plenty of chain, new shackles.

            --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, David Kenny <dkenny@...> wrote:

            > in the local lake..20lb Danforth..
            > in the ocean..20 lb danforth and a 15lb danforth 90-120degrees
            > apart.helps to stop the hunting at anchor..
            >
            > the 20 lbs has 20ft of 3/8 chain
            > the 15 and 10ft or so of chain..
            >
            > the size of the ground tackle depends on where you anchor..and the
            > winds..wand waves..
            > in 20-25knt winds with 3ft waves do you want 'hope' you stay in one
            > place or do you want to be sure?
            >
            > I would suggest that 9lbs would be TOO small in 20-25 knot winds and 3ft
            > seas...
            >
            > -dkenny
            >
            > On 03/30/2012 10:08 PM, DaveS wrote:
            > >
            > > I have an 18 lb Danforth that came with the boat. This anchor is for a
            > > 30 - 40 ft boat. Now while I don't mind an oversize anchor I wanted to
            > > use the bow roller to store a 16 lb. claw, and have the Danforth as a
            > > secondary anchor. The Danforth doesn't work in the roller. By all
            > > accounts it should be 9 lbs for this vessel. I could hang it from the
            > > pulpit rail and usae the anchor well for all that rode.
            > >
            > > What do you all use?

          • chilly_willie_2005
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 6, 2012
              Are you looking for furling or hanked-on?

              --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, alain thevenin <alain_thevenin2001@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > I'm looking for a second hand Inner Head sail for my Bayfield 32. I'm living in Toronto Ontario. Does anyone knows a place where I can buy it.
              >
              > If you do please let me know.
              >

              > Thank you very much,
              >
              > AlainT

            • alain thevenin
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 16, 2012
                Hi chilly_willy,

                I'm looking the inner sail for my existing furler. Do you know where I can get them.

                Thank you.