B29 anatomy?

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2004
      Hello! Does anyone know if a B29 has coring in the top-most part of
      her cabintop? My B29 Angel has coring in the walk around area on
      deck, but I'm not sure about the top of the cabin (have not replaced
      hardware yet in that area). It's strong and that, but I was curious
      if it was just thick fiberglass then the interior liner or if there
      was anything in there.
      Also, on the more senior B29's, keep an eye out on your stern
      chainplate if it hasn't been replaced yet. Angel and her buddy B29,
      Moonshine, both had to get replacements. It seemed to be a common
      thing with these older B's where the chainplate develops micro cracks
      after a time - it's so close to the water. You can easily check it
      with that dye stuff that auto mechanics use to look for fine cracks.
      Moonshine's old chainplate was so brittle that after removal, it just
      shattered.
      Respectfully,
      Rebecca B. s/v ANGEL
    • spack_80909
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2004
        Hi Rebecca,

        Yes the cabin top is cored with balsa. It does not extend fully down
        the sides though. This boat is built like a brick-you-know-what. In
        most places the fiberglass itself is thick enough.

        Scott
        1978 B-29 #17 - Jolah