Welder for aluminium fuel tank in or near Ottawa

  • nospam forme
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
      Hi Folks:

      We have noticed that our aluminium fuel tank has developed a tiny leak
      at the bottom so I guess it is time to get a new bottom welded on to
      it.

      Does anybody have a recommendation for a welder in Eastern Ontario
      (say Kingston to Cornwall) that has done this job before?

      Thanks,

      Don.
    • randy lawson
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
        My son is a red seal welder, he could do it for you if you can't find anyone closer. We are just outside of Windsor, shipping might be a few $$$. He could easily cut some off the bottom and install a new one for you if need be. Weldmech - 519-791-6899.

        If you do send it to him/or set something up, let me know so I can get him to cut you some slack. Bayfield owners have to stick together<grin>

        gunk
        Kewalo
        Bayfield29

        To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
          An alternative repair is to epoxy-line the existing tank. This will prevent it from corroding ever again. Auto restoration supplies sell kits to do it. Westwood and the like.

          Tank cleaning and prep is the key. But if you do the prep properly the repair is forever.

          stephen
          ----------

          On Oct 1, 2011, at 3:13 PM, nospam forme wrote:

          Hi Folks:

          We have noticed that our aluminium fuel tank has developed a tiny leak
          at the bottom so I guess it is time to get a new bottom welded on to
          it.

          Does anybody have a recommendation for a welder in Eastern Ontario
          (say Kingston to Cornwall) that has done this job before?

          Thanks,

          Don.
        • Hans Lankamp
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
            For aluminium welding, I use Bob Johnson (Johnson Welding Works) on 70 Beech Street in Ottawa (near the Preston Hotel).  His work is excellent and his price very reasonable:  Last year, he added a port hole in my B25 tank, so I can check the tank for crud/water, for $60.--.  His Customer Service could be improved (he never answers the phone (or messages) and he takes his time, even when you are in a rush).  He will clean-steam the tank (after you empty it).

            If you have him chop one inch of the bottom of the tank, let him add some feet under the tank to raise it of the bilge floor.

            Regards,

            Hans Lankamp

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                Hans:

                Thanks for the lead.

                Our boat is still in the water and the leak is currently very tiny so I plan
                to take the tank out over the winter and have it ready for next spring. I
                will take it to Bob sometime next month and see what he says.

                Thx. Don.
                On Oct 2, 2011 11:32 AM, "Hans Lankamp" <hans.lankamp@...> wrote:
                > Just in case you were planning to head there on Friday afternoon: Bob is
                frequently off-site on Friday afternoon doing estimates on larger projects.

              • nospam forme
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                  Stephen

                  Thanks for the idea.

                  However, my tank sits in water and prevents water flowing into the bilges.

                  I think I should have .5" removed from the bottom of the tank anyway.

                  I may line the resulting tank before reinstalling it.

                  Don.
                  On Oct 1, 2011 4:41 PM, "CJE" <cjecje1@...> wrote:

                  > An alternative repair is to epoxy-line the existing tank. This will
                  prevent it from corroding ever again. Auto restoration supplies sell kits
                  to do it. Westwood and the like.

                  > Tank cleaning and prep is the key. But if you do the prep properly the
                  repair is forever.

                  > stephen
                  > ----------
                  >

                  > On Oct 1, 2011, at 3:13 PM, nospam forme wrote:
                  >
                  > Hi Folks:
                  >
                  > We have noticed that our aluminium fuel tank has developed a tiny leak
                  > at the bottom so I guess it is time to get a new bottom welded on to
                  > it.
                  >
                  > Does anybody have a recommendation for a welder in Eastern Ontario
                  > (say Kingston to Cornwall) that has done this job before?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Don.

                • nospam forme
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                    Randy

                    Thanks, I will keep him in mind but the guy in Ottawa is an easy drive for
                    me so I will try him first.

                    Don
                    On Oct 1, 2011 4:31 PM, "randy lawson" <gunkylump@...> wrote:

                    > My son is a red seal welder, he could do it for you if you can't find
                    anyone closer. We are just outside of Windsor, shipping might be a few $$$.
                    He could easily cut some off the bottom and install a new one for you if
                    need be. Weldmech - 519-791-6899.

                    > If you do send it to him/or set something up, let me know so I can get him
                    to cut you some slack. Bayfield owners have to stick together<grin>

                    > gunk
                    > Kewalo
                    > Bayfield29
                    >

                    > To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: nospamformeSVP@...
                    > Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 15:13:49 -0400
                    > Subject: [BYOR] Welder for aluminium fuel tank in or near Ottawa
                    >

                    > Hi Folks:
                    >
                    > We have noticed that our aluminium fuel tank has developed a tiny leak
                    > at the bottom so I guess it is time to get a new bottom welded on to
                    > it.
                    >
                    > Does anybody have a recommendation for a welder in Eastern Ontario
                    > (say Kingston to Cornwall) that has done this job before?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Don.

                  • FREDERICK ALTHEN
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                      ________________________________
                      Thanks, I will keep him in mind but the guy in Ottawa is an easy drive for
                      me so I will try him first.

                      Don
                      On Oct 1, 2011 4:31 PM, "randy lawson" <gunkylump@...> wrote:

                      > My son is a red seal welder, he could do it for you if you can't find
                      anyone closer. We are just outside of Windsor, shipping might be a few $$$.
                      He could easily cut some off the bottom and install a new one for you if
                      need be. Weldmech - 519-791-6899.

                      > If you do send it to him/or set something up, let me know so I can get him
                      to cut you some slack. Bayfield owners have to stick together<grin>

                      > gunk
                      > Kewalo
                      > Bayfield29
                      >

                      > To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: nospamformeSVP@...
                      > Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 15:13:49 -0400
                      > Subject: [BYOR] Welder for aluminium fuel tank in or near Ottawa
                      >

                      > Hi Folks:
                      >
                      > We have noticed that our aluminium fuel tank has developed a tiny leak
                      > at the bottom so I guess it is time to get a new bottom welded on to
                      > it.
                      >
                      > Does anybody have a recommendation for a welder in Eastern Ontario
                      > (say Kingston to Cornwall) that has done this job before?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Don.

                      three times but the messages keep on coming.

                      Rick

                      Can some

                    • randy lawson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                        Closer is better, options are nice to have as well. Take care

                        gunk

                        To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
                        From: rickal4884@...
                        Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 12:59:34 -0700

                        ________________________________
                        Thanks, I will keep him in mind but the guy in Ottawa is an easy drive for
                        me so I will try him first.

                        Don
                        On Oct 1, 2011 4:31 PM, "randy lawson" <gunkylump@...> wrote:

                        > My son is a red seal welder, he could do it for you if you can't find
                        anyone closer. We are just outside of Windsor, shipping might be a few $$$.
                        He could easily cut some off the bottom and install a new one for you if
                        need be. Weldmech - 519-791-6899.

                        > If you do send it to him/or set something up, let me know so I can get him
                        to cut you some slack. Bayfield owners have to stick together<grin>

                        > gunk
                        > Kewalo
                        > Bayfield29
                        >

                        > To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: nospamformeSVP@...
                        > Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 15:13:49 -0400
                        > Subject: [BYOR] Welder for aluminium fuel tank in or near Ottawa
                        >

                        > Hi Folks:
                        >
                        > We have noticed that our aluminium fuel tank has developed a tiny leak
                        > at the bottom so I guess it is time to get a new bottom welded on to
                        > it.
                        >
                        > Does anybody have a recommendation for a welder in Eastern Ontario
                        > (say Kingston to Cornwall) that has done this job before?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Don.

                        three times but the messages keep on coming.

                        Rick

                        Can some

                      • George Zenker
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                          HI;
                          I have a suggestion for you. I have a 1982 B32C, which I bought in 1997.
                          soon after I bought it I realized that the fuel tank was leaking. So I
                          had to make a decision as to how I was going to fix it. What I decided
                          to do was to create an inspection port on top and then fiberglass the
                          bottom from the inside. I did that in 1998 and have not had a problem
                          with my fuel tank since. Something to think about.

                          George Z
                          Sparrow B32c

                          On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 3:13 PM, nospam forme wrote:

                          Hi Folks:

                          We have noticed that our aluminium fuel tank has developed a tiny leak
                          at the bottom so I guess it is time to get a new bottom welded on to
                          it.

                          Does anybody have a recommendation for a welder in Eastern Ontario
                          (say Kingston to Cornwall) that has done this job before?

                          Thanks,

                          Don.

                          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                        • somaspack
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
                            I'll second what Hans said: remove material from the bottom and put feet on the tank to keep it out of the bilge water and allow the water to flow freely.

                            Almost ten years ago our B29 tank was leaking. We took it out and had it sandblasted, a new bottom welded on AND pressure tested. The shop said the aluminum had suffered galvanic corrosion after being in the salty water, so they took off about 1.5", welded the new bottom with feet to keep it at the same level but above the typical amount of bilge and water. We lost at most 2 gallons of capacity, but don't notice the reduced capacity.

                            Lining it is certainly an option as well. I read or was told, most of the pinhole leaks occur because of the water and microbes in the tank, not the water it sits in. When I was shown the old bottom, this was evident: the inside had dime size corrosion areas, the bilge side just a pinhole.

                            Scott
                            B29 #17, Jolah