Sun cover.

  • bcaward
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
      I'm going to try living aboard Yoshimi (B25) in a slip on Cayuga Lake (upstate NY)this summer. Anyone have any advice about a sun cover/awning/umbrella? The boom is a bit low to just throw a tarp over it, but I'd rather not spend $600 for a classier one if I can avoid it.

      Also, any ideas about how to put an awning over the foredeck, so I can keep the v-berth cooler?

      I'll be sailing a lot, so I'm hoping to find an arrangement that I can remove and rig easily.

      Thanks for any advice,

      Bruce Caward
      B25 Yoshimi
    • Herrick Family
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
        One thing that comes to mind if the boom is too low would be a square tarp with grommets on all 4 sides and one in the middle. You would have an extendable center pole (get from a camping supply store such as Campmore?) and the 4 corners bungled to the stern pushpit and lifelines or wherever appropriate. One could make a slit in it for the backstay and/or topping lift as needed with grommets or snaps to reconnect around the wire. The design is like those canopies that are sold for backyards, etc. Or maybe a large outdoor umbrella would work?

        How about that for starters?

        Tod

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jun 3, 2011, at 12:09 AM, "bcaward" <bcaward@...> wrote:

        > I'm going to try living aboard Yoshimi (B25) in a slip on Cayuga Lake (upstate NY)this summer. Anyone have any advice about a sun cover/awning/umbrella? The boom is a bit low to just throw a tarp over it, but I'd rather not spend $600 for a classier one if I can avoid it.
        >
        > Also, any ideas about how to put an awning over the foredeck, so I can keep the v-berth cooler?
        >
        > I'll be sailing a lot, so I'm hoping to find an arrangement that I can remove and rig easily.
        >
        > Thanks for any advice,
        >
        > Bruce Caward
        > B25 Yoshimi

      • dave
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
          The cheapest way would be to get off the dock and anchor out...the forward hatch
          will always be into the wind and when it gets too hot jump in the water to cool
          off.

          Sun shades on a boat that small will be a problem for going forward and for
          storage.
          Dave

          ________________________________
          One thing that comes to mind if the boom is too low would be a square tarp with
          grommets on all 4 sides and one in the middle. You would have an extendable
          center pole (get from a camping supply store such as Campmore?) and the 4
          corners bungled to the stern pushpit and lifelines or wherever appropriate. One
          could make a slit in it for the backstay and/or topping lift as needed with
          grommets or snaps to reconnect around the wire. The design is like those
          canopies that are sold for backyards, etc. Or maybe a large outdoor umbrella
          would work?

          How about that for starters?

          Tod

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 3, 2011, at 12:09 AM, "bcaward" <bcaward@...> wrote:

          > I'm going to try living aboard Yoshimi (B25) in a slip on Cayuga Lake (upstate
          >NY)this summer. Anyone have any advice about a sun cover/awning/umbrella? The
          >boom is a bit low to just throw a tarp over it, but I'd rather not spend $600
          >for a classier one if I can avoid it.
          >
          > Also, any ideas about how to put an awning over the foredeck, so I can keep the
          >v-berth cooler?
          >
          > I'll be sailing a lot, so I'm hoping to find an arrangement that I can remove
          >and rig easily.
          >
          > Thanks for any advice,
          >
          > Bruce Caward
          > B25 Yoshimi

        • singa8raja
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
            Bruce,

            A while back I posted some pictures for Ken of the summer and winter tarps he uses, Photos album "B-23 Gavia". The summer tarp uses a ridge pole to allow the mast end to be elevated, and poles in the eaves to keep shape and allow for easier securing.

            A ridge pole (or line) between the mast and bow railing (or forestay) should allow something similar over the bow.

            Dick
            B25 Marling

            The
            > >boom is a bit low to just throw a tarp over it, but I'd rather not spend $600
            > >for a classier one if I can avoid it.
            > >
            > > Also, any ideas about how to put an awning over the foredeck, so I can keep the
            > >v-berth cooler?
            > > Bruce Caward
            > > B25 Yoshimi
          • Chuck DICKSON
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
              We spend a lot of time on board over the summer, and for one year we tried the bimini that came with the boat...but because the boom is so low it was not a practical idea.. the side rails on the bimini made getting to the dock or into the boat a feat of acrobatics..and trying to move forward was a chore.. What I've done is use a "boom tent" over the boom.. with the stern end raised with the topping lift..and tied off to the life lines.. gives lots of shade and does not prohibit movement. Any type of fly sheet for a normal camping tent works for this purpose.. For the forward deck.. over the V berth we have made a small square awning with a peak that hangs over the forward hatch.. We made this with Sunbrella fabric that matches the rest of the boat..using a spare jib halyard to hang it from, the 4 corners attach with shock cord to the lifelines.. provides shade over the hatch and stops the rain from getting in when you leave the hatch open at night.. We've used this arrangement for several years with success..

              Chuck
              Silver Cloud
              '88 B-25
              Ride to Live
              Live to Sail

            • nospam forme
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
                How about an Anchor Shade?

                We use one on a Sandpiper daysailor and we feel it is well-made and good
                value.

                http://www.boatcovers.cc/cgi-bin/catalog.pl?cat_id=11

                Don

              • Herrick Family
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
                  The anchor shade is exactly what I was describing in my message.

                  Tod

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jun 3, 2011, at 9:16 PM, nospam forme <nospamformeSVP@...> wrote:

                  > How about an Anchor Shade?
                  >
                  > We use one on a Sandpiper daysailor and we feel it is well-made and good
                  > value.
                  >
                  > http://www.boatcovers.cc/cgi-bin/catalog.pl?cat_id=11
                  >
                  > Don

                • Susan Huszagh
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011
                    I would be interested in seeing pictures of what you have done to create a
                    boom tent. Would you be willing to post any?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 6, 2011
                      Thanks a ton for all the suggestions. I'm going to rig a few things and then post pix for your comments.

                      Bruce
                      B25 Yoshimi

                      --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Susan Huszagh <shuszagh2@...> wrote:

                      > I would be interested in seeing pictures of what you have done to create a
                      > boom tent. Would you be willing to post any?

                    • Chuck DICKSON
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 8, 2011
                        I will try and take some photos this weekend Susan.. post early next week..

                        Chuck
                        SilverCloud

                        Ride to Live
                        Live to Sail

                        To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
                        From: shuszagh2@...
                        Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 17:56:36 -0400

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 14, 2011
                          Photos posted in the photo album "SilverCloud" of our forward hatch cover
                          --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Chuck DICKSON <cdickson@...> wrote:

                          > I will try and take some photos this weekend Susan.. post early next week..
                          >
                          > Chuck
                          > SilverCloud
                          >
                          > Ride to Live
                          > Live to Sail
                          >

                          > To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: shuszagh2@...
                          > Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 17:56:36 -0400
                          > Subject: RE: [BYOR] Sun cover.
                          >

                          > I would be interested in seeing pictures of what you have done to create a
                          > boom tent. Would you be willing to post any?

                        • DaveS
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 15, 2011
                            Hi Chuck,

                            What's that line going through the fairleads next to the hatch?
                            Thanks!

                            best regards

                            --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck" <cdickson@...> wrote:

                            > Photos posted in the photo album "SilverCloud" of our forward hatch cover
                            > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Chuck DICKSON <cdickson@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > I will try and take some photos this weekend Susan.. post early next week..
                            > >
                            > > Chuck
                            > > SilverCloud
                            > >
                            > > Ride to Live
                            > > Live to Sail
                            > >

                            > > To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
                            > > From: shuszagh2@
                            > > Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 17:56:36 -0400
                            > > Subject: RE: [BYOR] Sun cover.
                            > >

                            > > I would be interested in seeing pictures of what you have done to create a
                            > > boom tent. Would you be willing to post any?

                          • Chuck DICKSON
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 15, 2011
                              Dave

                              That is the single line for the CDI roller furling.. PO had it routed across deck rather than down the stanchions. Works ok but gets in the way of the anchor locker..

                              Chuck

                              Ride to Live
                              Live to Sail

                              To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
                              From: daveseroy@...
                              Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:42:44 +0000

                              Hi Chuck,

                              What's that line going through the fairleads next to the hatch?
                              Thanks!

                              best regards

                              --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck" <cdickson@...> wrote:

                              > Photos posted in the photo album "SilverCloud" of our forward hatch cover
                              > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Chuck DICKSON <cdickson@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > I will try and take some photos this weekend Susan.. post early next week..
                              > >
                              > > Chuck
                              > > SilverCloud
                              > >
                              > > Ride to Live
                              > > Live to Sail
                              > >

                              > > To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
                              > > From: shuszagh2@
                              > > Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 17:56:36 -0400
                              > > Subject: RE: [BYOR] Sun cover.
                              > >

                              > > I would be interested in seeing pictures of what you have done to create a
                              > > boom tent. Would you be willing to post any?

                            • Hubert Laframboise
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 15, 2011
                                Bruce,

                                You may look at this article from Sail Magazine; it deals with sun cover /
                                foredeck.

                                http://www.sailmagazine.com/boatworks/upgrades/keeping_cool/

                                Hope it helps you stay cool.

                                Hubert