Re: [BYOR] B-29 off shore cruising

  • sailing bahamas
    Message 1 of 22 , May 1, 2011
      Bayfield uses a 2 piece inner liner so that Bulkhead doesn't actually rest
      against the hull and deck rather it fits into a moulded slot in the upper
      and lower liner. Glassing it to the liner isn't the same as glassing it to
      the hull and deck and in this design can't be done - that's the reason for
      installing the compression post (relatively easy to do). To make up for this
      shortfall, the liner ads a lot of rigidity through the entire boat - and
      Bayfield's have one of the strongest hull-deck joints I've seen. No boat is
      perfect - they are all built to some cost factor and ease of production
      realities.
      I've been sailing for 45-years - boats get wrecked by hitting things - it's
      much more dangerous close to land - you're safer out there than on the
      interstate (or the 401 in Ontario).
      We need to concentrate on the one real problem - don't fall off the boat -
      that's what kills sailors.

      On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM, chris123 <chris.herrnberger@...>wrote:

      > Just wondering out loud, is not a more appropriate solution to tab
      > them in permanently with glass and epoxy resin? Clips are OK I guess
      > but tabbing would take some of the torsional forces of the compression
      > post and there by lesson the load. On my 3-29 that load is transferred
      > from the compression post to an iron beam inside the glass pan that
      > spreads the load to the hull transversely.
      >
      > This is a known failure point on my boat due to material composition
      > being non galvanized soft steel. So its a common fix. Bulkheads are
      > all glassed in then covered with teak trim pieces.
      >
      > /ch
      >
      > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:07 PM, sailing bahamas
      >
      > <bahama.sailing@...> wrote:
      > > My forward bulkhead is in with 5200 but it's also the reason that it's
      > > recommend to add a strong post to that bulkhead just to starboard of the
      > > head door.
      > > On the later 29's they added a couple of stainless tabs that were
      > attached
      > > to the deck and then through bolted to the bulkhead. This was done mostly
      > > because that bulkhead squeaks as she rolls through the sea..
      > > That mod and the lower shrouds were the items mentioned in Annapolis.
      > >
      > > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM, chris123 <chris.herrnberger@...
      > >wrote:
      > >

      > >> From the pics, was wondering is there are any issues with the forward
      > >> bulkhead tabbing. They dont appear to be glassed in rather slid into
      > >> the recessed glass cavity. Then again only talking from pictures.
      > >> Given that there is only one set of full bulkheads on the boat, is
      > >> this a concern?
      > >>
      > >> /ch

      > >> --
      > >> /ch

      > --
      > /ch

    • chris123
      Message 2 of 22 , May 1, 2011
        Interesting points, thanks for the explanation. Learning lots about
        this vessel.

        Regards

        /ch

        On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 6:35 AM, sailing bahamas
        <bahama.sailing@...> wrote:
        > Bayfield uses a 2 piece inner liner so that Bulkhead doesn't actually rest
        > against the hull and deck rather it fits into a moulded slot in the upper
        > and lower liner.
      • bcaward
        Message 3 of 22 , May 1, 2011
          Hey, I love those seats. How can I get ahold of Caribou Frank, or find out where to get some made??

          Bruce Caward
          Yoshimi
          B25
          bcaward@...

          --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Hubert Laframboise" <hlaframboise@...> wrote:

          > I agree with you that the B29 cockpit seats are low and uncomfortable,
          > especially when beating upwind. For myself I'm still toying with ideas of
          > upgrades. When I raised the question last fall (November 2010), looking for
          > improvements, Caribou Frank came up with pictures of raised chairs that he
          > incorporated to his B29. If you're curious to see what he's done, his
          > pictures are in the Bayfield group photo album under the name ASIAQ. Here's
          > the link:

          > Hubert

        • Hubert Laframboise
          Message 4 of 22 , May 2, 2011
            Caribou Frank is listed as a member of the “bayfieldyachts group” under the
            name caribou; it’ll give you his E-mail address .

            Good luck,

            Hubert

            Hey, I love those seats. How can I get ahold of Caribou Frank, or find out
            where to get some made??

            Bruce Caward
            Yoshimi
            B25
            bcaward@... <mailto:bcaward%40twcny.rr.com>

            --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:bayfieldyachts%40yahoogroups.com> , "Hubert Laframboise"
            <hlaframboise@...> wrote:

            > I agree with you that the B29 cockpit seats are low and uncomfortable,
            > especially when beating upwind. For myself I'm still toying with ideas of
            > upgrades. When I raised the question last fall (November 2010), looking
            for
            > improvements, Caribou Frank came up with pictures of raised chairs that he
            > incorporated to his B29. If you're curious to see what he's done, his
            > pictures are in the Bayfield group photo album under the name ASIAQ.
            Here's
            > the link:

            > Hubert

          • ssimpson03
            Message 5 of 22 , May 2, 2011
              Have you made this compression post mod? Do you have pictures of it? Did you do it yourself?

              Have you moved your inner stays? Do you have pictures of that?

              I bet that would lessen the squeaking as it rolls around! I helped that with a couple drops of teak oil down that groove. The galley bulkhead was especially squeaky when the wind kicked up at anchor.

              --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, sailing bahamas <bahama.sailing@...> wrote:

              > My forward bulkhead is in with 5200 but it's also the reason that it's
              > recommend to add a strong post to that bulkhead just to starboard of the
              > head door.
              > On the later 29's they added a couple of stainless tabs that were attached
              > to the deck and then through bolted to the bulkhead. This was done mostly
              > because that bulkhead squeaks as she rolls through the sea..
              > That mod and the lower shrouds were the items mentioned in Annapolis.
              >
              > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM, chris123 <chris.herrnberger@...>wrote:
              >

              > > From the pics, was wondering is there are any issues with the forward
              > > bulkhead tabbing. They dont appear to be glassed in rather slid into
              > > the recessed glass cavity. Then again only talking from pictures.
              > > Given that there is only one set of full bulkheads on the boat, is
              > > this a concern?
              > >
              > > /ch
              > >
              > > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 5:02 PM, sailing bahamas
              > >
              > > <bahama.sailing@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > B-32. BUT you do have to make some mods.
              > >
              > > --
              > > /ch

            • sailing bahamas
              Message 6 of 22 , May 2, 2011
                I'm in Canada now for the summer (boat stays in Bahamas) - will post
                picture's in late fall.