Trouble Selling

  • Wayne R
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2010
      I have a 1983 Bayfield 29C that is in Good/Very Good shape. Shortly after buying it, I got a new job that pays a lot more but keeps we away from home a lot. Additionally, we are renovating our house. As a result of these two conditions, I do not have the time needed to sail and maintain the boat in the manner it deserves. I have had the boat on the market for over a year, listed on several web sites at below market prices and have gotten very few responses to my ads. Is this a result of the stagnant economy or is there something else I need to be doing? I have tried listing it with a few brokerages and because of the age and asking price, none of them are interested. Any ideas?
    • b29ig
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2010
        The economy certainly is not helping - A few years back, it was quite easy for homeowners to extract inflated equity out of their houses and feel comfortable buying boats or such things that many would consider non-essential (depends on how much you like sailing I guess). Now many owe more than the house is worth so there is no equity to harvest.

        Other ideas:

        They do come up on e-bay from time to time-- I'm not sure that they are selling successfully or hitting minimum bids levels.

        If your in a northern climate, I'd say it is unlikely to move until spring.

        Sorry for your situation and best of luck moving her on to someone new.

        --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne R" <we_rath@...> wrote:

        > I have a 1983 Bayfield 29C that is in Good/Very Good shape. Shortly after buying it, I got a new job that pays a lot more but keeps we away from home a lot. Additionally, we are renovating our house. As a result of these two conditions, I do not have the time needed to sail and maintain the boat in the manner it deserves. I have had the boat on the market for over a year, listed on several web sites at below market prices and have gotten very few responses to my ads. Is this a result of the stagnant economy or is there something else I need to be doing? I have tried listing it with a few brokerages and because of the age and asking price, none of them are interested. Any ideas?

      • mistk1
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2010
          My Bayfield 36 has been on the market for a couple of years now. I have it on sailboatlistings.com. I've had 21 inquiries and half a doz lookers but no offers so far. The boat is listed at the low end of the price range too.

          I have decided to keep working on Miracles to have her looking better and better and enjoy sailing her til the right buyer comes along.

          Good luck.

          Expect Miracles,
          John

          John A. Adams,
          Founder, Life Without Limits, and Adams & Adams Building Services Inc.
          308 Broad Brook Rd.
          Enfield, CT 06082
          Tel: 860-912-0410
          Web: http://www.miraclesatwork.com

          In a message dated 12/01/10 11:56:40 Central Standard Time, nickelly_p@... writes:
          The economy certainly is not helping - A few years back, it was quite easy for homeowners to extract inflated equity out of their houses and feel comfortable buying boats or such things that many would consider non-essential (depends on how much you like sailing I guess). Now many owe more than the house is worth so there is no equity to harvest.

          Other ideas:

          They do come up on e-bay from time to time-- I'm not sure that they are selling successfully or hitting minimum bids levels.

          If your in a northern climate, I'd say it is unlikely to move until spring.

          Sorry for your situation and best of luck moving her on to someone new.

          --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne R" <we_rath@...> wrote:

          > I have a 1983 Bayfield 29C that is in Good/Very Good shape. Shortly after buying it, I got a new job that pays a lot more but keeps we away from home a lot. Additionally, we are renovating our house. As a result of these two conditions, I do not have the time needed to sail and maintain the boat in the manner it deserves. I have had the boat on the market for over a year, listed on several web sites at below market prices and have gotten very few responses to my ads. Is this a result of the stagnant economy or is there something else I need to be doing? I have tried listing it with a few brokerages and because of the age and asking price, none of them are interested. Any ideas?

        • John Skrypek
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2010
            I've seen a few B29s sell. I bought mine pretty cheaply, (it needed
            work). Another sold at my club for a very reasonable price. There have
            also been a couple I've seen in the last couple of years that sold at
            decent prices. Unfortunately, a lot of it is timing, location, and how
            badly you want to sell. The cost of moving often makes the dea
            luneconomical. Somebody who knows something about Bayfields is usually
            willing to pay a little more. Somebody who doesn't is comparing it to
            Hunter 28' s and similar. They are not paying extra for the Bayfield.
            Economy is not helping you either.

            John

            On 01/12/2010 4:33 PM, mistk1 wrote:

            > My Bayfield 36 has been on the market for a couple of years now. I
            > have it on sailboatlistings.com. I've had 21 inquiries and half a doz
            > lookers but no offers so far. The boat is listed at the low end of the
            > price range too.
            >
            > I have decided to keep working on Miracles to have her looking better
            > and better and enjoy sailing her til the right buyer comes along.
            >
            > Good luck.
            >
            > Expect Miracles,
            > John
            >
            > John A. Adams,
            > Founder, Life Without Limits, and Adams & Adams Building Services Inc.
            > 308 Broad Brook Rd.
            > Enfield, CT 06082
            > Tel: 860-912-0410
            > Web: http://www.miraclesatwork.com
            >
            > In a message dated 12/01/10 11:56:40 Central Standard Time,
            > nickelly_p@... <mailto:nickelly_p%40msn.com> writes:
            > The economy certainly is not helping - A few years back, it was quite
            > easy for homeowners to extract inflated equity out of their houses and
            > feel comfortable buying boats or such things that many would consider
            > non-essential (depends on how much you like sailing I guess). Now many
            > owe more than the house is worth so there is no equity to harvest.
            >
            > Other ideas:
            >
            > They do come up on e-bay from time to time-- I'm not sure that they
            > are selling successfully or hitting minimum bids levels.
            >
            > If your in a northern climate, I'd say it is unlikely to move until
            > spring.
            >
            > Sorry for your situation and best of luck moving her on to someone new.
            >
            > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:bayfieldyachts%40yahoogroups.com>, "Wayne R" <we_rath@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have a 1983 Bayfield 29C that is in Good/Very Good shape. Shortly
            > after buying it, I got a new job that pays a lot more but keeps we
            > away from home a lot. Additionally, we are renovating our house. As a
            > result of these two conditions, I do not have the time needed to sail
            > and maintain the boat in the manner it deserves. I have had the boat
            > on the market for over a year, listed on several web sites at below
            > market prices and have gotten very few responses to my ads. Is this a
            > result of the stagnant economy or is there something else I need to be
            > doing? I have tried listing it with a few brokerages and because of
            > the age and asking price, none of them are interested. Any ideas?

          • George Hirsch
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2010
              We had our little Bayfield for sale for sale for 3 years (listed with a broker)
              and finally got mad (not one offer!!!). We de-listed it, brought it home and did
              a complete show 'n shine on it, put it into the water in the spring with 2 huge
              for sale signs on it and got one serious shopper per week for 3 weeks and the
              third guy bought it. No commission. Some times, if you want something done
              right...

              Hope this encourages you. I agree with the other comments: Time of year is rough
              and economy is rough. Little extra money out there for sail boats. Few boats are
              selling well right now. In the spring it'll look better. Shine her up nice and
              get rid of any odours and anything else that could possibly put a negative spin
              on it. It sure is a buyers market right now!

              You may want to consider storing it for a few years; you know that boats' quirks
              and rather then taking a loss...

              George

              ________________________________
> [...]

              > Sorry for your situation and best of luck moving her on to someone new.
              >
              > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:bayfieldyachts%40yahoogroups.com>, "Wayne R" <we_rath@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a 1983 Bayfield 29C that is in Good/Very Good shape. Shortly
              > after buying it, I got a new job that pays a lot more but keeps we
              > away from home a lot. Additionally, we are renovating our house. As a
              > result of these two conditions, I do not have the time needed to sail
              > and maintain the boat in the manner it deserves. I have had the boat
              > on the market for over a year, listed on several web sites at below
              > market prices and have gotten very few responses to my ads. Is this a
              > result of the stagnant economy or is there something else I need to be
              > doing? I have tried listing it with a few brokerages and because of
              > the age and asking price, none of them are interested. Any ideas?

            • ELR
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2010
                Can you post your listing with pictures? Some in the group may be able to offer some constructive criticism

                I have a 1983 Bayfield 29C that is in Good/Very Good shape. Shortly after buying it, I got a new job that pays a lot more but keeps we away from home a lot. Additionally, we are renovating our house. As a result of these two conditions, I do not have the time needed to sail and maintain the boat in the manner it deserves. I have had the boat on the market for over a year, listed on several web sites at below market prices and have gotten very few responses to my ads. Is this a result of the stagnant economy or is there something else I need to be doing? I have tried listing it with a few brokerages and because of the age and asking price, none of them are interested. Any ideas?

              • Fred Holbrook
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 7, 2010
                  Wayne,
                  I can certainly relate to your frustrations. I had to put my 1987 B29 on the market due to illness. Mine was in CT and it took 4 years to sell after being nationally advertised. It finally sold to a sailor in VA this past May. Hang in there, the reality is that there is only so much you can do. Good luck and, for your sake, it won't take as long to sell as mine did. As was mentioned, the economy situation certainly doesn't help, except to increase the frustration.
                  Fred H

                  The economy certainly is not helping - A few years back, it was quite easy for homeowners to extract inflated equity out of their houses and feel comfortable buying boats or such things that many would consider non-essential (depends on how much you like sailing I guess). Now many owe more than the house is worth so there is no equity to harvest.

                  Other ideas:

                  They do come up on e-bay from time to time-- I'm not sure that they are selling successfully or hitting minimum bids levels.

                  If your in a northern climate, I'd say it is unlikely to move until spring.

                  Sorry for your situation and best of luck moving her on to someone new.

                  --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne R" <we_rath@...> wrote:

                  > I have a 1983 Bayfield 29C that is in Good/Very Good shape. Shortly after buying it, I got a new job that pays a lot more but keeps we away from home a lot. Additionally, we are renovating our house. As a result of these two conditions, I do not have the time needed to sail and maintain the boat in the manner it deserves. I have had the boat on the market for over a year, listed on several web sites at below market prices and have gotten very few responses to my ads. Is this a result of the stagnant economy or is there something else I need to be doing? I have tried listing it with a few brokerages and because of the age and asking price, none of them are interested. Any ideas?

                • Don
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 7, 2010
                    Wayne:

                    Here is a buyer's perspective:

                    I recently bought a B32 (I was actually looking for a B29) so I can tell
                    you what I was looking for: price and value.

                    It is a buyer's market out there and there are a limited number of
                    buyers. If you want to sell your boat quickly then you have to pitch it
                    where there are buyers and you have to have a rock bottom price - or lower.

                    I bought my boat in response to a very simple post on this group,
                    basically 'B32 for sale - first $8,000 takes her'. I fought off others
                    to buy the boat. Most folks who are interested in buying Bayfields will
                    be reading this group.

                    They are a very popular boat in Canada, especially around the Great
                    Lakes so you might want to investigate putting her in a broker's hands
                    (and yard) in Toronto - there are several brokers working out of Port
                    Credit Marina where there is a very large display yard. The Canadian
                    economy is not anywhere near as bad as the US economy - Canadians still
                    have some money to spend, but Canadians have a fully justified
                    reputation for being 'value conscious' (aka. cheap) [*] which brings me
                    to my next point.

                    If you want to sell it quickly then it has to have a low, low price. I
                    don't believe any of the published market prices for boats that are
                    floating around out there. They must be dated from before the 2008
                    bubble burst. If you price your boat based on those figures then it
                    will be years before you find a buyer.

                    How much does it cost you to simply keep your boat for a year? Include
                    any interest payments, yard fees, insurance, basic maintenance and
                    something for your time to keep it in showable condition. Multiply that
                    by five and knock that off the price because you could be waiting five
                    years for a buyer. The guy who sold me his B32 was paying $6,000 in
                    annual marina fees alone and had tried to sell her for over a year
                    before he saw the light and dropped his price so low that he sold her in
                    one day and stopped the bleeding from his bank account.

                    You said: 'I have tried listing it with a few brokerages and because of
                    the age and asking price, none of them are interested.' Brokers have a
                    pretty good idea of what they can get for a boat and if you ask too much
                    then they are not going to waste their time showing her as they know it
                    won't sell. The age of the boat is significant in that it is now hard
                    to get boat loans at all and almost impossible for older boats so you
                    are probably looking for somebody with cash to spend. Anybody with cash
                    these days has learned how to hang on to it so you will be dealing with
                    a hard-nosed buyer.

                    I have not seen your boat, but when I was in the market I would not have
                    even bothered to look at a B29 asking over $20,000 and I would have
                    expected something pretty spectacular for more then $15,000. $10,000
                    would have got me to jump in my car that day. Just saying.

                    The other thing you could do is keep the boat, put her in storage
                    somewhere cheap and wait for the economy to recover. This is the
                    'Magrathea' strategy.

                    Good luck,

                    Don.

                    [*] Florida waitress joke:

                    Q. What is the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?

                    A. Canoes tip.

                    Wayne R wrote:
                    > I have a 1983 Bayfield 29C that is in Good/Very Good shape. Shortly
                    > after buying it, I got a new job that pays a lot more but keeps we
                    > away from home a lot. Additionally, we are renovating our house. As a
                    > result of these two conditions, I do not have the time needed to sail
                    > and maintain the boat in the manner it deserves. I have had the boat
                    > on the market for over a year, listed on several web sites at below
                    > market prices and have gotten very few responses to my ads. Is this a
                    > result of the stagnant economy or is there something else I need to
                    > be doing? I have tried listing it with a few brokerages and because
                    > of the age and asking price, none of them are interested. Any ideas?

                  • Michele
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 7, 2010
                      Hi Wayne

                      I will admit the market is not an easy one right now but I beg to differ with a few people here. Yes there are people that are out there only looking for an incredible deal and will "only look at the price". I am not saying that I don't love a good deal ( ask Bruce...our Mastercard bill reflects that!!)but us Bayfield owners are a different lot. When Bruce and I bought our Bayfield 29 we only wanted a Bayfield 29!! When we bought our 36 we only wanted a Bayfield 36.
                      When it came to part with our 29 ( believe me it wasn't a decision made lightly...we adored her.......)she showed like a dream. We always took pride in her appearance but when she was for sale there wasn't another B29 for sale that could compete with her( this is not a biased opinion...ask anyone who was ever on her). We had the usual tire kickers, people with low ball offers over the internet (someone willing to buy a Bayfield withour seeing it first is not a true diehard Bayfield lover) they deserve to be seen!!! The couple that bought "Gone with the Wind" (our 29) had been watching our ad and when they saw her it wae love at first sight!! You will probably not sell in the next few months with the winter weather now here but somewhere out there is a future true Bayfield owner just looking for "the" boat. Make sure she is priced like similar well looked after B29's. Take lots of pictures...I mean lots!!! Make sure yours shows like that picture in their minds!! No clutter..that beautiful woodwork we all know and love shining, everthing spotless and showing like it is well maintained and cared for !! Treat it like your selling your home and put yourself in a future owners shoes. Look at your boat as if YOU would be buying it! Follow these rulesHave patience...someone is out there waiting to find your boat!!

                      Good Luck!!

                      Michele
                      "Anam Caraid" Bayfield 36

                      --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne R" <we_rath@...> wrote:

                      > I have a 1983 Bayfield 29C that is in Good/Very Good shape. Shortly after buying it, I got a new job that pays a lot more but keeps we away from home a lot. Additionally, we are renovating our house. As a result of these two conditions, I do not have the time needed to sail and maintain the boat in the manner it deserves. I have had the boat on the market for over a year, listed on several web sites at below market prices and have gotten very few responses to my ads. Is this a result of the stagnant economy or is there something else I need to be doing? I have tried listing it with a few brokerages and because of the age and asking price, none of them are interested. Any ideas?

                    • yousaf butt
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 7, 2010
                        I concur with Don.

                        An idea: if you want to come down to Trinidad, you can store a boat that size here for US $250/mo. on the hard (e.g. the "IMS" yard), and labor to do work is dirt cheap. Supplies are plentiful. The moorings here for long-term storage are ~US $120/mo. No hurricanes. Good beer and outstanding rum.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 7, 2010
                          Bayfields are popular boats with certain buyers but the market is
                          limited. Worse thing that can happen is being in love with your boat
                          when selling. If you want to wait 5 years, you might get lucky. You
                          might sell it tomorrow or you might never sell. The Southern Ontario
                          bayfield 29's list for between $20,000 and $25,000. Sometimes a little
                          more. The ones I know of that sold went for less than $15,000. What
                          you believe your boat is worth means little. It's worth what someone
                          else is willing to pay. If you can afford to wait for the right buyer,
                          great.

                          John Skrypek

                          On 07/12/2010 11:10 AM, Michele wrote:

                          > Hi Wayne
                          >
                          > I will admit the market is not an easy one right now but I beg to
                          > differ with a few people here. Yes there are people that are out there
                          > only looking for an incredible deal and will "only look at the price".
                          > I am not saying that I don't love a good deal ( ask Bruce...our
                          > Mastercard bill reflects that!!)but us Bayfield owners are a different
                          > lot. When Bruce and I bought our Bayfield 29 we only wanted a Bayfield
                          > 29!! When we bought our 36 we only wanted a Bayfield 36.
                          > When it came to part with our 29 ( believe me it wasn't a decision
                          > made lightly...we adored her.......)she showed like a dream. We always
                          > took pride in her appearance but when she was for sale there wasn't
                          > another B29 for sale that could compete with her( this is not a biased
                          > opinion...ask anyone who was ever on her). We had the usual tire
                          > kickers, people with low ball offers over the internet (someone
                          > willing to buy a Bayfield withour seeing it first is not a true
                          > diehard Bayfield lover) they deserve to be seen!!! The couple that
                          > bought "Gone with the Wind" (our 29) had been watching our ad and when
                          > they saw her it wae love at first sight!! You will probably not sell
                          > in the next few months with the winter weather now here but somewhere
                          > out there is a future true Bayfield owner just looking for "the" boat.
                          > Make sure she is priced like similar well looked after B29's. Take
                          > lots of pictures...I mean lots!!! Make sure yours shows like that
                          > picture in their minds!! No clutter..that beautiful woodwork we all
                          > know and love shining, everthing spotless and showing like it is well
                          > maintained and cared for !! Treat it like your selling your home and
                          > put yourself in a future owners shoes. Look at your boat as if YOU
                          > would be buying it! Follow these rulesHave patience...someone is out
                          > there waiting to find your boat!!
                          >
                          > Good Luck!!
                          >
                          > Michele
                          > "Anam Caraid" Bayfield 36
                          >
                          > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:bayfieldyachts%40yahoogroups.com>, "Wayne R" <we_rath@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I have a 1983 Bayfield 29C that is in Good/Very Good shape. Shortly
                          > after buying it, I got a new job that pays a lot more but keeps we
                          > away from home a lot. Additionally, we are renovating our house. As a
                          > result of these two conditions, I do not have the time needed to sail
                          > and maintain the boat in the manner it deserves. I have had the boat
                          > on the market for over a year, listed on several web sites at below
                          > market prices and have gotten very few responses to my ads. Is this a
                          > result of the stagnant economy or is there something else I need to be
                          > doing? I have tried listing it with a few brokerages and because of
                          > the age and asking price, none of them are interested. Any ideas?

                        • Jason McCann
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 7, 2010
                            Don and Yousaf,

                            Keep in mind that if you want a "Walmart " deal, those boats are out there. They need tons of "Boat units" ($1,000 per unit) to bring them up to standard.

                            Remember...like Walmart...buy it by price, buy it twice.

                            I looked at Bayfield 36's for two years and bought one of the more pricey boats out there because it was loaded and in great shape. Thank the stars I didn't buy a fixer upper on the cheap.

                            Inexpensive doesn't always mean a good deal.

                            If you can't afford to sail, don't. But for Goodness sake don't get into Bayfields based on price.

                            __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5682 (20101207) __________

                            http://www.eset.com

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 7, 2010
                              Price is determined by demand and supply.

                              There is more supply of sailboats, even our wonderful Bayfields, now than there is demand for them, as compared to, say, 10 years ago.

                              Thus prices are lower.

                              You may wish to wait 5 years for conditions in the economy to improve to sell Bayfields at the prices you are used to.

                              As I said, I concur with Don on this. This does not mean I am denigrating Bayfields -- all boats are priced less than "they should be", currently.

                              From: Don <nospamformeSVP@...>

                              To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com

                              Date: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 10:35 AM