RE: Backing up

  • Phil LaBonte
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2002
      In my research on this topic I found an interesting discussion that I'm
      anxious to put to the test.
      It's located at http://www.his.com/~vann/KrgStuff/360turns.htm

      From: Fred Holbrook <fredh@...>
      2. Reversing (was Boarding ladder for Bayfield 36)
      From: "Ron Benrey" <ron@...>
      3. RE: Reverse control
      From: ELR <elrlaw@...>
      4. Re: BACKING UP
      From: kmerzel@...
      5. backing with a Bayfield or any boat
      From: "mikeargosyca" <mikeargosyca@...>
      6. Origo stoves
      From: "allaynecoon" <allaynecoon@...>
      7. RE: Origo stoves
      From: "Ron Benrey" <ron@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:44:02 -0500
      From: Fred Holbrook <fredh@...>
      Subject: RE: Boarding ladder for Bayfield 36

      I have a Bayfield 29 - no suggestions regarding a ladder.
      About backing out of my slip. Being able to maneuver in reverse is
      definitely not a big plus, but what I've been doing with success - when
      backing out of my slip I give a short burst of power, enough to get some
      water moving over the rudder, coast backwards with some ability to steer
      until I'm clear of other boats and docks - then into forward and all set.

      Fred Holbrook
      Professional Services Coordinator
      Micros to Mainframes, Inc.
      70 Inwood Business Park
      Rocky Hill, CT 06067
      Tel# 860-563-9099
      Fax# 860-563-8396
      e-mail fredh@...

      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:43:02 -0500
      From: "Ron Benrey" <ron@...>
      Subject: Reversing (was Boarding ladder for Bayfield 36)

      >By the way, have you got any tricks as to backing out of a slip? I
      still
      >have to basically use dock lines to control her in reverse.Once I get
      >small amount of forward velocity I have great rudder authority. (But
      in
      >reverse , thats another story !!)

      If you buy an antique U.S. Navy "Bluejackets Manual" at a used
      bookstore (mine was published in 1943), you'll find info about
      maneuvering a "motor whaleboat" that is directly applicable to a
      Bayfield. The key point is that high-bow, long-keel boats with props
      in small openings close to the rudder are controlled by the wind while
      reversing.

      The information presented won't significantly improve your backing-out
      elegance... but it will restore your self esteem.

      Ron Benrey
      SeaSaw
      Bayfield 32

      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 06:55:22 -0800 (PST)
      From: ELR <elrlaw@...>
      Subject: RE: Reverse control

      With a B29, concur w/the power and coast method.
      Also, be aware of whether your prop pulls left or
      right in reverse, using it to your advantage and being
      aware of its limitations. Lastly, had the pleasure of
      chartering a single screw 35'trawler this past summer
      in Lake Huron's North Channel. It had a bow thruster
      and I discovered that's the way to go. I could almost
      spin that boat on its own axis. A bow thruster on a
      B36 would be money well spent. A friend of mine with
      a Gozzard 44 has a bow thruster and can manuver his
      boat in the tightest of spaces.

      http://auctions.yahoo.com

      Message: 4
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:02:31 EST
      From: kmerzel@...
      Subject: Re: BACKING UP

      Hello All:

      What I do is to put her into reverse at around 900 rpm. Most of the
      time the stern will walk to starboard(opposite of what I want the boat to
      do). Before this happens I take a boat pole and push off the finger dock or
      piling while standing forward of the boats midsection. I do this on the port
      side. A gentle push will pivot the bow to starboard. The position I want to
      be in reverse is contrary to the way the boat wants to act in reverse. This
      can be done single-handed as long as you are confident and sure footed.
      Again, use the slowest rpm possible when single-handing.

      Ken

      Message: 5
      Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 01:55:24 -0000
      From: "mikeargosyca" <mikeargosyca@...>
      Subject: backing with a Bayfield or any boat

      Hi, Rick if You give me your personnal email, I could send you a zip
      file article wich I wrote in our C.P.S. journal concerning the
      backing problem with most hull and how to manage to get good result.

      Message: 6
      Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 02:48:50 -0000
      From: "allaynecoon" <allaynecoon@...>
      Subject: Origo stoves

      I have to install a stove in our 36 Bayfield. I was going to put in
      a propane stove/oven, but the installation would be a nightmare with
      the vapor locker and all. I heard different opinions regarding the
      Origo stove/oven. Right now I am undecided on which one to install.
      An pros/cons on the Origo? The Origon would be easier to put in. If
      I installed a propane stove/oven where would the vapor locker go?
      Thanks, any info would be apprieciated. D.W. Coon

      Message: 7
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:08:24 -0500
      From: "Ron Benrey" <ron@...>
      Subject: RE: Origo stoves

      Our Bayfield 32 arrived new with a propane stove/oven and we replaced it
      with an Origo stove/oven. That was 15 years ago, and we've never regretted
      our decision. The Origo is simple, reliable, and safe--we find that the
      cheapest stove alcohol provides the best flames.

      Our 32 has a "vapor locker" integrated into the helmsman's seat, complete
      with a thruhull; we tightened the thruhull and use the compartment as a rope
      locker. Is your 36 similarly equipped?

      Ron Benrey
      SeaSaw