RE: [BYOR] Still overheating

  • greg needham
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1 9:01 AM
      Yes they were just on sale at can Tire, I have seen similar on ebay they are
      about $30.00 including shipping out of China. I'm sure they would do the
      job.

      Greg

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1 5:54 PM
        Thank you everyone! I honestly don't think I could manage this boat without this forum.
        Sincerely,
        Dan
        B29 #294
        Pt Breeze, NY

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 7 5:20 PM
          Ok, I took everything apart and blew and cleaned and greased. The impellor and gasket are like new. The thermostat was a little rusty and had some seaweed and bits lodged in it so I cleaned it with a small wire and greased it. Now everything runs great and no overheating and lots of water gushing out of the exhaust where it only trickled before.. But I dont trust it, it seemed too easy... My paranoid self would like to install a new thermostat. It looks like they simply pop in and out witha rubber ring gasket. I dont see any screws or clips holding it. Do I simply pry the old one out and pop in a new one?

            slow_leak39 wrote:
            > The temp alarm on the 2GM20 was sounding again. I thought the new
            > ball valves would fix it but guess not. I plan to install a raw
            > water filter as previously discussed here, and check the impellor. Is
            > there a thermostat on this thing? If so, where do I find it? And
            > where can I purchase a new one? Thanks, Dan

          • Edward Billing
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 7 7:00 PM
              Hi Dan I had a problem for 2 years with my 2QM15 installed in our B32 you may have a similar issue by taking it all apart and putting it back together you have released any air locks built up in the system, before you sail motor off in to the sunset you may want to check the backing plate on the Water Pump it may be scored i.e. the impeller has worn a groove out of the plate, this will allow air to suck by when pumping and create an air lock in the system that the pump cannot push through. this happened to us many times we could motor all day and all was fine heel the boat and the motor would not pump water, the water in the system when heeled was draining back through the pump and out the intake, then when we fired up because of the air leak until I undid a hose any where in the system to release the pressure it would not pump, we ended up replacing the water pump, many said that was excessive and I could have just replaced the backing plate I have not had a problem since, so what is your price for pumping peace in a storm heading into a marina, hope this helps, a way to tell is if you take of the intake hose off the pump if water leaks back through the pump voila you have found the root cause

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 8 3:58 AM
                Sorry to appear so lame, but what is a backing plate? What does it look like and where do I find it? Is it simply the piece with the 6 screws, with the gasket on it? When I remove the intake hose, water DOES flow back from the pump as I recall.

                slow_leak39 wrote:
                > The temp alarm on the 2GM20 was sounding again. I thought the new
                > ball valves would fix it but guess not. I plan to install a raw
                > water filter as previously discussed here, and check the impellor. Is
                > there a thermostat on this thing? If so, where do I find it? And
                > where can I purchase a new one? Thanks, Dan

              • Herrick Family
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 8 4:18 AM
                  Yes, the backing plate and cover are one and the same. The plate's fit
                  is critical to the pump's ability to make suction and pump. If it
                  looks scored when you remove it you can reverse it so the smooth side
                  faces inwards.

                  Tod

                  Sent from my iPhone

                    slow_leak39 wrote:
                    > The temp alarm on the 2GM20 was sounding again. I thought the new
                    > ball valves would fix it but guess not. I plan to install a raw
                    > water filter as previously discussed here, and check the impellor. Is
                    > there a thermostat on this thing? If so, where do I find it? And
                    > where can I purchase a new one? Thanks, Dan

                  • John Knight
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 8 8:07 AM
                      Dear Bayfielders,
                      Please excuse the intrusion if you are not contemplating a Bayfield 40 at this time:
                      "Adventuress" is back on the market for sale at a reduced price of $104,500: we took her off sale while we were cruising this winter. She is in Rock Hall MD, conveniently staged for you to sail her to the Caribbean for next winter!
                      Please go to Boats.com for more info, or see pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/picasajfk
                      and email or call me (cell) 717 598 6290 for complete specifications of this special yacht that Nancy, her owner of 24 years has beautifully maintained. Thank you, John Knight
                    • Edward Billing
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 8 2:14 PM
                        you are finding your problem yes the backing plate is on the back of the water pump reverse the plate and this could be a short term fix for you, no water should come back through the pump