Zinc for shaft and prop on Bayfield 25

  • christopherbailey249
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2010
      I bought a Bayfield 25 the was kept on a lake. I now am using it in the ocean.
      Does anyone have advice on the type and/or placement of a zinc to protect the shaft and prop?

      chris
    • singa8raja
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2010
        Chris,

        A lot will depend on whether or not you have room to install a zinc collar on the shaft between the prop and the cutless bearing.
        From previous postings it seems many like us have to use a "prop nut zinc" which mounts on a special nut behind the prop.

        There are pictures of ours in the Photos Album "23 25 Maintenance", the 4th shows it in place, and further down a picture called "parts after sandblasting" shows the bare nut to the left and the removed old zinc at top right.

        Some others just use a clip on "Grouper" zinc hanging over the side when in harbour.

        Dick
        B25 Marling
        Parksville, V.I.