RE: [BYOR] Proper sized anchor

  • On the Sloop elan
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
      On my B-29 if I'm leaving the boat in an anchorage (Bahamas) unattended for part of the day, I put a small Fortress (Danforth) on 10ft of chain attached in front of a 25 pound CQR ( the CQR has a ring where I can attach the chain) this gives me additional holding power without laying to two rodes and the tangle that that can involve. I'm on all chain with a nylon snubber.

      I have the Fortess, a 25 pound CQR, 15kg Bruce and a folding 75 pound Luke fisherman (never been used). I have an electric windlass.

      To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
      From: wind_rose_2@...
      Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:29:10 -0800
      Subject: Re: [BYOR] Proper sized anchor

      For anchorages in the 6 to 15 foot depth range your 44# and the required scope on the chain should hold you and your rafted friends (dependant on their size) in moderate winds.
      Of course never trust any part of your tackle in any circumstance (if you don't want to loose your boat)
      Always have options..a second or third anchor and CHAIN!
      I have on numerous occasions rafted and had all "hang" on one anchor but will prefer we seperateprior to lights out.
      Dave

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
        On the Sloop elan wrote:
        > On my B-29 if I'm leaving the boat in an anchorage (Bahamas)
        > unattended for part of the day, I put a small Fortress (Danforth) on
        > 10ft of chain attached in front of a 25 pound CQR ( the CQR has a
        > ring where I can attach the chain) this gives me additional holding
        > power without laying to two rodes and the tangle that that can
        > involve. I'm on all chain with a nylon snubber.

        Gary:

        How do you set these serial anchors?

        I presume that this is in very thin water.

        Don.
      • Don
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
          Don wrote:

          > We used a 45lb CQR as our primary, a 20kg Bruce as the secondary, a
          > Fortress FX-15 as an emergency stern anchor, a Fortress FX-23 and a
          > 75lb. Fisherman.

          Oops. Sorry, I forgot that we sold the 45lb CQR (it just looked too
          small for a main bower) and replaced it with a 60lb CQR.

          So maybe I would be looking at something bigger than a 44lb Delta if I
          owned a B36.

          Don.
        • dave
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
            Good point!
            If the weather is piping up and there are no options to get out of it's path l will lay my Bruce with 25' of chain shackled to my CQR with all my chain...two different anchors so if one slips...all on chain..if it is going to be a storm l will throw out my 3rd  too.. on 300' of seperate nylon rode with appropriate chain.
            Dave

            To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
              Hello Dave;

              I am trying to remember if yours is a 36... I seem to think it is. Do you use all of this ground tackle for Lake Ontario? Seems like over kill! Yet moving in a storm, at night, near shore... I suppose nothing is "too much". I used to use 3 anchors (two off stern with stern wind) and one off bow when lunching at Pottahawk Point in Lake Erie. The lady at the chandlery looked at me incredulously and said "why?" So I guess that was a bit over kill. Ha ha!

              Do you all store your anchor in the locker at the front or in a pail elsewhere? Seems like a lot of weight. My 250' of 5/8 hemp rope is VERY hard to push back into the anchor locker. There is an argument in favour of chain! How do you size your chain?

              I have seen some sailboats keep the rope portion of their rode wound around 2 stainless posts attached to the bow stanchions in long flowing loops for easy access and return. It also dries better there.  Anyone tried this? Whats the down side (besides looks)?

              Thanks

              George
              B32

              ________________________________

              To: bayfieldyachts@ yahoogroups. com

[...]

              Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers. yahoo.com

              http://www.microsof t.com/middleeast /windows/ windowslive/ see-it-in- action/social- network-basics. aspx?ocid= PID23461: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- xm:SI_SB_ 3:092010

              The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free! at http://downloads. yahoo.com/ ca/internetexplo rer/

            • dave
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
                George;
                We were at anchor in the Bay of Quinte this year when the tornadoes came thru...too much is never enough!
                5/16 BBB chain 5/8 nylon...the anchors and chain are always on board (in the locker) but the rope is only taken when l will be away from the dock awhile. I keep it coiled in a big plastic clothes hamper (dollar store) I also have another 150' nylon under the forward berth and a danforth in the lazarette locker.
                My biggest concern when the winds howl is not if l will slip...but when the other boats let go where will they be in relation to me.

                To: bayfieldyachts@ yahoogroups. com

                http://www.flickr. com/gift/