Re: [BYOR] Re: B25 paint colors

  • JD Jamieson
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
      Have a look at the Interlux Brightside chart. Matterhorn white is close. You might have to end up doing your own fine tuning with white to get an exact match.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
        Paul:

        Once you start with paint on your hull or deck, you will have to repaint regularly. Personnaly, I would avoid any painting for that reason alone. In addition, any minor mishap easily results in the paint being scratched off the hull and this scrape will show any contrast with the gel-coat underneath.

        Painting the hull and deck is sometimes done to camouflage damage and bad fading /chaulking of the gel-coat. So, answering your question, yes, it is done.

        There are special topside and special deck paints.

        Most topside paints are epoxy-polyurethane based. Putting the paint on properly is a two-person job: the fist person rolls it on, and the second person smoothes it out with a soft brush (they are about one to two feet apart and keep a steady pace). Typical top side paint brand names are Pettit and Awlgrip. Their choice of colours is limited.

        For painting the deck you will have to use a non-skid paint. These paints come with special ingredients to achieve a rough surface. The choice of deck paints is basically white, off-white and grey.
        You can also make your own non-skid surface using an older method: mix small epson salt clumps in the paint for the final coat. After the paint is hardened, hit the surface with a mallet to break the paint seal around the salt clumps, and rinse the salt away. It is not as easy as it looks from this description!

        For the inside of your lockers, you can use any (preferably "exterior") polyurethane based enamel paint. Get a set of colour sample cards from your local paint store to find the best match with the white gel-coat of the inside of your cabin.

        Hope this answers your question.

      • pbartels@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 2, 2009
          Thanks Hans,
          Very helpful as usual.
          The topside really needs repainting. The hull maybe I can refurbish. What is your best tip for restoring chaulky gelcoat?
          -Paul

          --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "hans.lankamp" <hans.lankamp@...> wrote:

          > Paul:
          >
          > Once you start with paint on your hull or deck, you will have to repaint regularly. Personnaly, I would avoid any painting for that reason alone. In addition, any minor mishap easily results in the paint being scratched off the hull and this scrape will show any contrast with the gel-coat underneath.
          >
          > Painting the hull and deck is sometimes done to camouflage damage and bad fading /chaulking of the gel-coat. So, answering your question, yes, it is done.
          >
          > There are special topside and special deck paints.
          >
          > Most topside paints are epoxy-polyurethane based. Putting the paint on properly is a two-person job: the fist person rolls it on, and the second person smoothes it out with a soft brush (they are about one to two feet apart and keep a steady pace). Typical top side paint brand names are Pettit and Awlgrip. Their choice of colours is limited.
          >
          > For painting the deck you will have to use a non-skid paint. These paints come with special ingredients to achieve a rough surface. The choice of deck paints is basically white, off-white and grey.
          > You can also make your own non-skid surface using an older method: mix small epson salt clumps in the paint for the final coat. After the paint is hardened, hit the surface with a mallet to break the paint seal around the salt clumps, and rinse the salt away. It is not as easy as it looks from this description!
          >
          > For the inside of your lockers, you can use any (preferably "exterior") polyurethane based enamel paint. Get a set of colour sample cards from your local paint store to find the best match with the white gel-coat of the inside of your cabin.
          >
          > Hope this answers your question.
          >
          > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "pbartels@" <pbartels@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Hans,
          > > I am trying to match the interior gelcoat with paint (for inside lockers). So I'm looking for a paint that matches the gelcoat. Possible? I am planning to paint the deck and the hull, also, so I was wondering if anyone had done that and tried to more or less match the original gelcoat color. It seems to be an off-white.
          > > -Paul
          > >
          > > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "hans.lankamp" <hans.lankamp@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Can you specify what you mean with "paint"? If you are trying to match the gel-coat, you should be mixing the colour on site as the colour over time has faded differently across the boat. If your boat is painted, it is done afterwards. In most cases the "paint" used for such job is Awlgrip. If so, check the colour chart at your chandler to see if you can find a match.

        • hans.lankamp
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 2, 2009
            Paul:

            Depending on the severity, you can start with 400-grit wet sandpaper or immediately use 600-grit wet sandpaper. You may wrap the paper around a piece of high-density foam rubber, for a good grip on the paper and to make it easier to follow the contour of the hull. Be carefull that you don't remove too much - gelcoat as it is fairly thin. Wash the hull and dry with cloth.

            The gelcoat will look somewhat dull but fairly uniform, when sanded. Then use rubbing compound to restore the high gloss. You can use a buffer to do this, using heavier pressure initially, then progressively reduce the pressure until the surface becomes glassy. It is a fairly messy job as the liquid rubbing compound tends to spray from the buffer. Once done, whipe the hull with a cloth or use an old woolen sock wrapped around the same piece of foam. Then use wax as usual to complete the job.

            Hans
            --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "pbartels@..." <pbartels@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Hans,
            > Very helpful as usual.
            > The topside really needs repainting. The hull maybe I can refurbish. What is your best tip for restoring chaulky gelcoat?
            > -Paul
            >
            > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "hans.lankamp" <hans.lankamp@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Paul:
            > >
            > > Once you start with paint on your hull or deck, you will have to repaint regularly. Personnaly, I would avoid any painting for that reason alone. In addition, any minor mishap easily results in the paint being scratched off the hull and this scrape will show any contrast with the gel-coat underneath.
            > >
            > > Painting the hull and deck is sometimes done to camouflage damage and bad fading /chaulking of the gel-coat. So, answering your question, yes, it is done.
            > >
            > > There are special topside and special deck paints.
            > >
            > > Most topside paints are epoxy-polyurethane based. Putting the paint on properly is a two-person job: the fist person rolls it on, and the second person smoothes it out with a soft brush (they are about one to two feet apart and keep a steady pace). Typical top side paint brand names are Pettit and Awlgrip. Their choice of colours is limited.
            > >
            > > For painting the deck you will have to use a non-skid paint. These paints come with special ingredients to achieve a rough surface. The choice of deck paints is basically white, off-white and grey.
            > > You can also make your own non-skid surface using an older method: mix small epson salt clumps in the paint for the final coat. After the paint is hardened, hit the surface with a mallet to break the paint seal around the salt clumps, and rinse the salt away. It is not as easy as it looks from this description!
            > >
            > > For the inside of your lockers, you can use any (preferably "exterior") polyurethane based enamel paint. Get a set of colour sample cards from your local paint store to find the best match with the white gel-coat of the inside of your cabin.
            > >
            > > Hope this answers your question.
            > >
            > > --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "pbartels@" <pbartels@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Hans,
            > > > I am trying to match the interior gelcoat with paint (for inside lockers). So I'm looking for a paint that matches the gelcoat. Possible? I am planning to paint the deck and the hull, also, so I was wondering if anyone had done that and tried to more or less match the original gelcoat color. It seems to be an off-white.
            > > > -Paul

          • singa8raja
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 2, 2009
              For what it's worth, the brochure for the 1980 B25 lists "smoke white" as the only standard colour for hull and deck.

              Dick

            • R CRAFT
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 3, 2009
                I use ploy-glow makes it look like new

              • pbartels@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 4, 2009
                  Thanks for all the help!

                  --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "pbartels@..." <pbartels@...> wrote:

                  > Hi folks,
                  >
                  > Anyone ever tried to match the interior, deck, or hull paint of a B25?
                  >
                  > -Paul

                • Don
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 6, 2009
                    hans.lankamp wrote:
                    > Paul:
                    >
                    > Once you start with paint on your hull or deck, you will have to
                    > repaint regularly. Personnaly, I would avoid any painting for that
                    > reason alone. In addition, any minor mishap easily results in the
                    > paint being scratched off the hull and this scrape will show any
                    > contrast with the gel-coat underneath.
                    >
                    > Painting the hull and deck is sometimes done to camouflage damage and
                    > bad fading /chaulking of the gel-coat. So, answering your question,
                    > yes, it is done.
                    >
                    > There are special topside and special deck paints.
                    >
                    > Most topside paints are epoxy-polyurethane based. Putting the paint
                    > on properly is a two-person job: the fist person rolls it on, and
                    > the second person smoothes it out with a soft brush (they are about
                    > one to two feet apart and keep a steady pace). Typical top side
                    > paint brand names are Pettit and Awlgrip. Their choice of colours is
                    > limited.

                    A friend has recently painted his deck with Interlux Perfection and the
                    result was very good.

                    This is a two part polyurethane paint that is applied by simply rolling
                    it on - no second person to smooth or 'tip' the wet paint was required.
                    There was no 'orange peel' effect that you normally get with rolled on
                    paint and he says that this paint can be patched successfully - unlike
                    Awlgrip. As always, preparation was the key. He sanded off his old
                    gel-coat and applied a two-part epoxy primer under the Perfection.

                    He used a Sikkens non-skid deck paint which also looked very good.

                    Your mileage may vary.

                    Don.
                  • John Skrypek
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 6, 2009
                      You say he sanded off the gelcoat but did he just rough it up. I
                      wouldn't think it would need to be removed. Did the Sikkens non skid go
                      over top of the perfection or did he tape off the non skid areas and
                      paint them separately. Do you know what the Sikkens product was?

                      Don wrote:

                      > hans.lankamp wrote:
                      > > Paul:
                      > >
                      > > Once you start with paint on your hull or deck, you will have to
                      > > repaint regularly. Personnaly, I would avoid any painting for that
                      > > reason alone. In addition, any minor mishap easily results in the
                      > > paint being scratched off the hull and this scrape will show any
                      > > contrast with the gel-coat underneath.
                      > >
                      > > Painting the hull and deck is sometimes done to camouflage damage and
                      > > bad fading /chaulking of the gel-coat. So, answering your question,
                      > > yes, it is done.
                      > >
                      > > There are special topside and special deck paints.
                      > >
                      > > Most topside paints are epoxy-polyurethane based. Putting the paint
                      > > on properly is a two-person job: the fist person rolls it on, and
                      > > the second person smoothes it out with a soft brush (they are about
                      > > one to two feet apart and keep a steady pace). Typical top side
                      > > paint brand names are Pettit and Awlgrip. Their choice of colours is
                      > > limited.
                      > >

                      > A friend has recently painted his deck with Interlux Perfection and the
                      > result was very good.
                      >
                      > This is a two part polyurethane paint that is applied by simply rolling
                      > it on - no second person to smooth or 'tip' the wet paint was required.
                      > There was no 'orange peel' effect that you normally get with rolled on
                      > paint and he says that this paint can be patched successfully - unlike
                      > Awlgrip. As always, preparation was the key. He sanded off his old
                      > gel-coat and applied a two-part epoxy primer under the Perfection.
                      >
                      > He used a Sikkens non-skid deck paint which also looked very good.
                      >
                      > Your mileage may vary.
                      >
                      > Don.

                    • Don
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 6, 2009
                        John Skrypek wrote:
                        > You say he sanded off the gelcoat but did he just rough it up. I
                        > wouldn't think it would need to be removed. Did the Sikkens non skid go
                        > over top of the perfection or did he tape off the non skid areas and
                        > paint them separately. Do you know what the Sikkens product was?

                        I am going to have to talk to him again for more details.

                        I know that he had to sand off his existing non-slip. I know that he
                        primed the deck with two part epoxy which he then sanded to a very
                        smooth finish before applying the Perfection. Any imperfections in the
                        surface would show up in the Perfection.

                        I think that he probably used "Sikkens Deckpaint Antislip"

                        I'll get back about this later.

                        Don.
                      • greg needham
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 7, 2009
                          Does anyone have pictures they could share of a Jiffy reefing setup of a Bayfield 25?

                          Greg

                          SEA YOU LATER

                        • singa8raja
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 7, 2009
                            Greg,
                            In the "album 23 23 Maintenance Photos" there are several photos of the reefing system that works well on our '80 B25. The boom has 3 internal lines - outhall, reef, unused. Your boom may be different, we looked at a '78 that had no internal lines, and someone recently had questions on rigging a square boom.

                            Photo 19 (reefed) - the reefing line starts at stop knot on top of cleat, thru cringle ->
                            Photo 21 (unreefed) - reefing line at boom end
                            Photo 22 (unreefed) - line exits boom over cam and pulley, down to shackle, up to lower cleat. Mast end reef line is loose bowline at cleat, up past boom on port side, thru cringle, down past boom also port side, shown with loose stop knot at top of picture. Up/down lines nest in waist alongside gooseneck.
                            Photo 22 (reefed) - lines at mast, pic. may be a little confusing since free end of mast reef line is tucked between main and mast.

                            There were no reefing lines when we bought boat, but through searching found several good articles on sailnet, Harken and other sites.

                            Dick

                            > Does anyone have pictures they could share of a Jiffy reefing setup of a Bayfield 25?
                            >
                            > Greg
                          • singa8raja
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 7, 2009
                              last one should be photo 26.
                            • Greg Needham
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 8, 2009
                                Dick

                                Our boat is a '77 B25 with external reefing. Thanks for your info.

                                Greg

                                In the "album 23 23 Maintenance Photos" there are several photos of the
                                reefing system that works well on our '80 B25. The boom has 3 internal
                                lines - outhall, reef, unused. Your boom may be different, we looked at a
                                '78 that had no internal lines, and someone recently had questions on
                                rigging a square boom.

                                Photo 19 (reefed) - the reefing line starts at stop knot on top of cleat,
                                thru cringle ->
                                Photo 21 (unreefed) - reefing line at boom end
                                Photo 22 (unreefed) - line exits boom over cam and pulley, down to shackle,
                                up to lower cleat. Mast end reef line is loose bowline at cleat, up past
                                boom on port side, thru cringle, down past boom also port side, shown with
                                loose stop knot at top of picture. Up/down lines nest in waist alongside
                                gooseneck.
                                Photo 22 (reefed) - lines at mast, pic. may be a little confusing since free
                                end of mast reef line is tucked between main and mast.

                                There were no reefing lines when we bought boat, but through searching
                                found several good articles on sailnet, Harken and other sites.

                                Dick

                                > Does anyone have pictures they could share of a Jiffy reefing setup of a
                                Bayfield 25?

                                > Greg

                              • singa8raja
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 8, 2009
                                  Greg,

                                  These are two good links, the Harken shows the blocks and line routing for external reefing lines, for one or two line systems.

                                  http://www.harken.com/rigtips/reefing.php

                                  http://www.sailingusa.info/weather_and_reefing.htm#reefing%20cringle

                                  I need to go to the mast to reef, but can do it all from there as long as the mainsheet has some slack. The most awkward step is removing the slide stop, dropping the sail enough to remove the lower two sail slides, and replacing the slide stop. (the PO attached a lanyard to keep the stop from going overboard). As the 2nd link suggests, it is easier to put in at dock and remove if not req'd.
                                  I have put the reef in a couple of times without raising the main because of strong cross winds.

                                  Dick
                                  B25 Marling
                                  Parksville, V.I.

                                  > Our boat is a '77 B25 with external reefing. Thanks for your info.
                                  >
                                  > Greg

                                • dale demyan
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 20, 2009
                                    Paul
                                    I just painted my B32 deck with Imron using a roller. The hull still looks pretty good. An auto finishing supplier can provide you with additives to blend the color you want.  The last time I painted was in 1992.  White over beige gelcoat.
                                    Dale

                                  • pbartels@ymail.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 21, 2009
                                      Hi Dale,

                                      How did you do your non-skid? Did you like the results with Imron, and
                                      why did you go with that over awlgrip or interlux?

                                      -Paul

                                      --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, dale demyan <daleldemyan@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Paul
                                      > I just painted my B32 deck with Imron using a roller. The hull still
                                      looks pretty good. An auto finishing supplier can provide you with
                                      additives to blend the color you want. The last time I painted was in
                                      1992. White over beige gelcoat.
                                      > Dale

                                    • Don
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 21, 2009
                                        Don wrote:
                                        > John Skrypek wrote:
                                        >> You say he sanded off the gelcoat but did he just rough it up. I
                                        >> wouldn't think it would need to be removed. Did the Sikkens non skid
                                        >> go over top of the perfection or did he tape off the non skid areas
                                        >> and paint them separately. Do you know what the Sikkens product was?
                                        >>

                                        > I am going to have to talk to him again for more details.
                                        >
                                        > I know that he had to sand off his existing non-slip. I know that he
                                        > primed the deck with two part epoxy which he then sanded to a very
                                        > smooth finish before applying the Perfection. Any imperfections in the
                                        > surface would show up in the Perfection.
                                        >
                                        > I think that he probably used "Sikkens Deckpaint Antislip"

                                        Ok, I spoke to my friend again.

                                        No, he did not sand off all of the gel coat, just made it good enough to
                                        accept the epoxy primer that Interlux sells for their Perfection paint.
                                        In retrospect he said that he wished he had used a high-build epoxy
                                        primer as that would have cut down on the amount of sanding over the old
                                        anti-slip before he got a smooth base.

                                        For new anti-slip he used 'Sikkens Deckpaint Antislip" : 3 parts white
                                        to one part grey to get a very nice light grey. Very effective
                                        anti-slip but you would not need to sand the hard skin off your feet
                                        anymore if you go bare foot on this stuff ...

                                        Don.
                                      • dale demyan
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 23, 2009
                                          Paul
                                          First I preped the deck using a nylon brush (Harbor Freight)on a drill .  That took a day. First coat was the entire deck. Next coat was the smooth areas. I then taped off the non skid area.  Interlux has a non skid power you add to the paint and stir in.  You need to keep stirring as you paint or you will have some areas too thick.  The whole job was just over $1000. I used 5 quarts. The additives are what really cost. One bottle was enough for 20 gallons.  If you know a painter, maybe you can buy an ounce from them. Follow all the mixing ratios carefully. Sherwin Williams has an epoxy roller. Use a vinyl auto trim tape. I used Imron in '92 and it lasted this long, so why change.  One thing I wish I had done is use a flating agent.  When the sun is out I have to wear sunglasses.

                                        • pbartels@ymail.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 23, 2009
                                            Thanks for info, Dale. What kind of nylon brush? Was that enough to do
                                            all the sanding you needed?

                                            wrote:

                                            > Paul
                                            > First I preped the deck using a nylon brush (Harbor Freight)on a drill
                                            . That took a day. First coat was the entire deck. Next coat was the
                                            smooth areas. I then taped off the non skid area. Interlux has a non
                                            skid power you add to the paint and stir in. You need to keep stirring
                                            as you paint or you will have some areas too thick. The whole job was
                                            just over $1000. I used 5 quarts. The additives are what really cost.
                                            One bottle was enough for 20 gallons. If you know a painter, maybe you
                                            can buy an ounce from them. Follow all the mixing ratios carefully.
                                            Sherwin Williams has an epoxy roller. Use a vinyl auto trim tape. I used
                                            Imron in '92 and it lasted this long, so why change. One thing I wish I
                                            had done is use a flating agent. When the sun is out I have to wear
                                            sunglasses.
                                            > Dale

                                          • dale demyan
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 23, 2009
                                              The brush was just like a round wire brush that goes on a drill. One was enough, but I think towards the end a new would have speeded things up.
                                              Dale