Mast Boot

  • joe.dorricott
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
      The mast boot on our B29 has split over the winter. Anyone onboard or close to their boat have the diameter of the mast and collar. I'm only seeing the Sailing Specialties Universal Mast Boot available in the catalogs I have. Is there anything else out there? The mast is stepped.

      Joe
      s/v SoPa
    • RTMcMonagle
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
        The answer is very simple...Find a place that sells trailer tires ( Canada
        Tire, Home Depot, etc ) and buy a tube for a 6" tire and slice it like a
        bagel....install..( don't use the half with the valve stem!) For the grand
        total of $4 to $5 dollars you'll have a mast boot that will last years.
        Mine has been on for ten years now and not a sign of a crack. Tape well at
        the mast and a single gear clamp on the boat lip

        _____

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
          ... get yourself a 12" (or whatever size is close to your mast dia.) tire tube for a few bucks, cut it open along its circumference and cutting away the valve stem. Turn it inside out and fasten with big stainless clamps. Its the best and cheapest waterproof mastboot I found.
          But it can only be installed before the mast goes in as you have to slide it over the bottom of the mast before. When pulling the mast, just loosen the bottom clamp where it seals on the deck and the boot stays on the mast. The black rubber does not look nice, so I added a reg. boot cover to match the rest of the canvas.
          Cheers, Norbert (Verity)

          --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "joe.dorricott" <jdor@...> wrote:

          > The mast boot on our B29 has split over the winter. Anyone onboard or close to their boat have the diameter of the mast and collar. I'm only seeing the Sailing Specialties Universal Mast Boot available in the catalogs I have. Is there anything else out there? The mast is stepped.
          >
          > Joe
          > s/v SoPa

        • Joe & Peggy Dorricott
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
            Perfect, thank you!
            Joe
            ... get yourself a 12" (or whatever size is close to your mast dia.) tire tube for a few bucks, cut it open along its circumference and cutting away the valve stem. Turn it inside out and fasten with big stainless clamps. Its the best and cheapest waterproof mastboot I found.
            But it can only be installed before the mast goes in as you have to slide it over the bottom of the mast before. When pulling the mast, just loosen the bottom clamp where it seals on the deck and the boot stays on the mast. The black rubber does not look nice, so I added a reg. boot cover to match the rest of the canvas.
            Cheers, Norbert (Verity)

            --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "joe.dorricott" <jdor@...> wrote:

            > The mast boot on our B29 has split over the winter. Anyone onboard or close to their boat have the diameter of the mast and collar. I'm only seeing the Sailing Specialties Universal Mast Boot available in the catalogs I have. Is there anything else out there? The mast is stepped.
            >
            > Joe
            > s/v SoPa

          • JD Jamieson
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
              Joe

              The universal mast boot can be installed with the mast up.

              John

              ... get yourself a 12" (or whatever size is close to your mast dia.) tire tube for a few bucks, cut it open along its circumference and cutting away the valve stem. Turn it inside out and fasten with big stainless clamps. Its the best and cheapest waterproof mastboot I found.
              But it can only be installed before the mast goes in as you have to slide it over the bottom of the mast before. When pulling the mast, just loosen the bottom clamp where it seals on the deck and the boot stays on the mast. The black rubber does not look nice, so I added a reg. boot cover to match the rest of the canvas.
              Cheers, Norbert (Verity)

              --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "joe.dorricott" <jdor@...> wrote:

              > The mast boot on our B29 has split over the winter. Anyone onboard or close to their boat have the diameter of the mast and collar. I'm only seeing the Sailing Specialties Universal Mast Boot available in the catalogs I have. Is there anything else out there? The mast is stepped.
              >
              > Joe
              > s/v SoPa

            • George Hirsch
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
                John;

                What are you calling "the universal mast boot"?

                Thanks

                George

                ________________________________
                The universal mast boot can be installed with the mast up.

                John

                ... get yourself a 12" (or whatever size is close to your mast dia.) tire tube for a few bucks, cut it open along its circumference and cutting away the valve stem. Turn it inside out and fasten with big stainless clamps. Its the best and cheapest waterproof mastboot I found.
                But it can only be installed before the mast goes in as you have to slide it over the bottom of the mast before. When pulling the mast, just loosen the bottom clamp where it seals on the deck and the boot stays on the mast. The black rubber does not look nice, so I added a reg. boot cover to match the rest of the canvas.
                Cheers, Norbert (Verity)

                --- In bayfieldyachts@ yahoogroups. com, "joe.dorricott" <jdor@...> wrote:

                > The mast boot on our B29 has split over the winter. Anyone onboard or close to their boat have the diameter of the mast and collar. I'm only seeing the Sailing Specialties Universal Mast Boot available in the catalogs I have. Is there anything else out there? The mast is stepped.
                >
                > Joe
                > s/v SoPa

              • JD Jamieson

                  The universal mast boot can be installed with the mast up.

                  John

                  ... get yourself a 12" (or whatever size is close to your mast dia.) tire tube for a few bucks, cut it open along its circumference and cutting away the valve stem. Turn it inside out and fasten with big stainless clamps. Its the best and cheapest waterproof mastboot I found.
                  But it can only be installed before the mast goes in as you have to slide it over the bottom of the mast before. When pulling the mast, just loosen the bottom clamp where it seals on the deck and the boot stays on the mast. The black rubber does not look nice, so I added a reg. boot cover to match the rest of the canvas.
                  Cheers, Norbert (Verity)

                  --- In bayfieldyachts@ yahoogroups. com, "joe.dorricott" <jdor@...> wrote:

                  > The mast boot on our B29 has split over the winter. Anyone onboard or close to their boat have the diameter of the mast and collar. I'm only seeing the Sailing Specialties Universal Mast Boot available in the catalogs I have. Is there anything else out there? The mast is stepped.
                  >
                  > Joe
                  > s/v SoPa

                • Joe & Peggy Dorricott
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
                    John,
                    I liked the idea with the inner tube ($5 is better that $40). I will have to split it and reseal with the applicable rubber cement. I did have plans to make a decorative mast boot anyway out of matching sunbrella.
                    Joe
                    The universal mast boot can be installed with the mast up.

                    John

                    ... get yourself a 12" (or whatever size is close to your mast dia.) tire tube for a few bucks, cut it open along its circumference and cutting away the valve stem. Turn it inside out and fasten with big stainless clamps. Its the best and cheapest waterproof mastboot I found.
                    But it can only be installed before the mast goes in as you have to slide it over the bottom of the mast before. When pulling the mast, just loosen the bottom clamp where it seals on the deck and the boot stays on the mast. The black rubber does not look nice, so I added a reg. boot cover to match the rest of the canvas.
                    Cheers, Norbert (Verity)

                    --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "joe.dorricott" <jdor@...> wrote:

                    > The mast boot on our B29 has split over the winter. Anyone onboard or close to their boat have the diameter of the mast and collar. I'm only seeing the Sailing Specialties Universal Mast Boot available in the catalogs I have. Is there anything else out there? The mast is stepped.
                    >
                    > Joe
                    > s/v SoPa

                  • John Skrypek
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
                      Which size boot on the 29? The 17.5-31 or 23-37
                    • JD Jamieson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
                        Joe

                        True, $5 beats $40 in my books any day too. But you really need to factor in the cost of the decorative boot to make an apples to apples comparison as the universal doesn't need one.

                        John

                        I liked the idea with the inner tube ($5 is better that $40). I will have to split it and reseal with the applicable rubber cement. I did have plans to make a decorative mast boot anyway out of matching sunbrella.
                        Joe
                        The universal mast boot can be installed with the mast up.

                        John

                        ... get yourself a 12" (or whatever size is close to your mast dia.) tire tube for a few bucks, cut it open along its circumference and cutting away the valve stem. Turn it inside out and fasten with big stainless clamps. Its the best and cheapest waterproof mastboot I found.
                        But it can only be installed before the mast goes in as you have to slide it over the bottom of the mast before. When pulling the mast, just loosen the bottom clamp where it seals on the deck and the boot stays on the mast. The black rubber does not look nice, so I added a reg. boot cover to match the rest of the canvas.
                        Cheers, Norbert (Verity)

                        --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "joe.dorricott" <jdor@...> wrote:

                        > The mast boot on our B29 has split over the winter. Anyone onboard or close to their boat have the diameter of the mast and collar. I'm only seeing the Sailing Specialties Universal Mast Boot available in the catalogs I have. Is there anything else out there? The mast is stepped.
                        >
                        > Joe
                        > s/v SoPa

                      • Bruce Forbes
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
                          I successfully used a $6 rubber roof flashing for a 3" or 4" roof stack from Home Depot when I couldn't find a mast boot large enough to fit my 29's collar.  It was leak free for 6 years.  I now have the same thing on my 36.  Of course it's not pretty but a sunbrella cover fixes that.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
                            If you slice it to go around your mast, what to you use to reseal the rubber onto itself?

                            Thanks

                            George

                            PS: I already have the decorative canvas cover.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
                              George,
                              Small change in plans, I found a friend with a roll of rubber roofing, slightly thinner than an inner tube. We have cut out a crescent shape boot using the approximate diameters of the mast and collar. I intend to over lap it and seal with rubber cement attach with s/s clamps, I'm experimenting with the glue as we speak to see how well it holds.
                              Joe