Good Luck to our Bay Area Bands at IBC

  • Vince Caminiti
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
      Here's hoping the best for our Bay Area bands - The Volker Strifler
      Band, Leah Tysee and the OG's and The Delta Wires - all competing at
      the International Blues Competition in Memphis. Bring home the gold
      for the Bay Area!! Yeah!
    • Stan Erhart
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
        By design or by weird coincidence, they're all playing at the same time
        today...

        B.B. King’s
        7:15-7:50 Volker Strifler

        Alfred’s
        7:20-7:55 Leah Tysse & the OG’s

        New Daisy Theater
        7:15-7:50 Delta Wires

        bayareablues@yahoogroups.com wrote on 02/01/2008 10:21:49 AM:

        > Here's hoping the best for our Bay Area bands - The Volker Strifler
        > Band, Leah Tysee and the OG's and The Delta Wires - all competing at
        > the International Blues Competition in Memphis. Bring home the gold
        > for the Bay Area!! Yeah!

      • Joel Fritz
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
          Delta Wires is a sentimental favorite for me. I met Ernie Pinata in
          1968. Yes, he's younger then me. :) We both lived in Castro Valley.
          Our mutual friend Mugg Muggles introduced us. He and I jammed together
          and played at a local coffee house a couple of times.

          Your friend,
          Barrelhouse Solly I

          It's never too late to do something your parents didn't want you to do.
          When that time comes Barrelhouse Solly will be there for you. He cares.

          Music: http://www.myspace.com/barrelhousesolly
          Fractious Felines: http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell

          Stan Erhart wrote:

          > By design or by weird coincidence, they're all playing at the same time
          > today...
          >
          > B.B. King’s
          > 7:15-7:50 Volker Strifler
          >
          > Alfred’s
          > 7:20-7:55 Leah Tysse & the OG’s
          >
          > New Daisy Theater
          > 7:15-7:50 Delta Wires
          >
          > bayareablues@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bayareablues%40yahoogroups.com>
          > wrote on 02/01/2008 10:21:49 AM:
          >
          > > Here's hoping the best for our Bay Area bands - The Volker Strifler
          > > Band, Leah Tysee and the OG's and The Delta Wires - all competing at
          > > the International Blues Competition in Memphis. Bring home the gold
          > > for the Bay Area!! Yeah!

        • Joe Lempkowski
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
            Yo BS1,

            I was driving down I-580 a couple of weeks ago. Caltrans had one of
            those cool lighted signs on the side of the road. It said, "Castro
            Valley Closed." I remembered thinking that it was about time they
            closed that place down. It was at least 20 years overdue.

            Joe

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
              My sentiments exactly. <g>

              In the early 90s the county commissioned an artist to put up some kind
              of sculpture near the downdown. It was wretched. Well, it was just run
              of the mill dumb. There was a huge outcry. I walked down to the high
              school to the town meeting they had about it. People lined up to spend
              their minute or two trashing the sculpture.

              Castro Valley is unincorporated. It has the same tightly controlled
              zoning and careful city planning that most unincorporated areas have.
              The main drag has every fast food place you can think of. Architecture
              ranges from ancient buildings with corrugated iron roofs to contemporary
              earthtone strip mall. Taken separately almost every building is ugly.
              Together it's amazing. Mr Potato Head looks more carefully designed. All
              I could think of when people complained about the sculpture was "What
              about Castro Valley Boulevard?"

              The county ended up removing the sculpture. I think it's probably in a
              storage yard somewhere.

              My folks lived there for 40 years. My brother and sister went to high
              school there. My wife grew up there. My wife, daughter, and I lived
              there for the kid's entire K-12. I know it well. <g>

              Joe Lempkowski wrote:

              > Yo BS1,
              >
              > I was driving down I-580 a couple of weeks ago. Caltrans had one of
              > those cool lighted signs on the side of the road. It said, "Castro
              > Valley Closed." I remembered thinking that it was about time they
              > closed that place down. It was at least 20 years overdue.
              >
              > Joe
              >
              > --- In bayareablues@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:bayareablues%40yahoogroups.com>, Joel Fritz <lc_calamese@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Delta Wires is a sentimental favorite for me. I met Ernie Pinata in
              > > 1968. Yes, he's younger then me. :) We both lived in Castro Valley.
              > > Our mutual friend Mugg Muggles introduced us. He and I jammed together
              > > and played at a local coffee house a couple of times.
              > >

              > > Your friend,
              > > Barrelhouse Solly I
              > >
              > > It's never too late to do something your parents didn't want you to do.
              > > When that time comes Barrelhouse Solly will be there for you. He cares.
              > >
              > > Music: http://www.myspace.com/barrelhousesolly
              > <http://www.myspace.com/barrelhousesolly>
              > > Fractious Felines: http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell
              > <http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell>

            • workmanblues
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
                Joel - how 'bout this lovely art piece that greets folks coming to my old hometown of
                Columbus, Ohio? IMO, folks should line up and trash this sucker..

                http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image.aspx?f=1&guid=def42540-68d4-46cf-
                a2e9-bb3546871b1c

              • Alan Oehler
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008