Re: [BATCH WORLD] ftp download + file name based on day of the week

  • Abhijat Singh
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 11, 2010
      Hi FoxiDrive,
      Thanks for replying.

      To answer your questions:
      Do any files have long filenames? NO
      Is the word "and" really there? NO
      Is the format above already set in stone? Sorry didn't get the question.

      Its just that there are two files to be downloaded on Saturday. They can be qrst.zip and uvwx.zip.

      Kind Reagrds,
      Abhijat

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 11, 2010
        On 12/10/2010 03:52, Abhijat Singh wrote:

        > Is the format above already set in stone? Sorry didn't get the question.

        I am assuming there is a text file with the text in it exactly as you
        outlined below - except the word 'and' is not there - and that on any
        day there can be more than one, or none, files to download. Is that right?

        > Its just that there are two files to be downloaded on Saturday. They can be qrst.zip and uvwx.zip.

        Or are you saying that the schedule below never changes?

        >>> I have a script in which I have to download file based on what day is it today. For example, if today is Wednesday, the file to be downloaded is efgh.zip. The day and file mapping can be as below:
        >>>
        >>> Tuesday: abcd.zip
        >>> Wednesday: efgh.zip
        >>> Thursday: ijkl.zip
        >>> Friday: mnop.zip
        >>> Saturday: qrst.zip and uvwx.zip

        Please don't top post.
      • Abhijat Singh
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 11, 2010
          Hi FoxiDrive,
          Apologies if I am confusing you. All I have to say is there is a specific file that I have to download on a specific day. Yes, there can be a chance that the file to be downloaded on a specific day is not present. The script may then simply skip the download. However, there will be only one file to be downloaded for a day except Saturdays when there will be two files, the daily file as all the other days and a special weekly file which will be a consolidation of all the daily files. This weekly file will be used mostly for the comparision purposes in my analysis.

          There is no text file as such. However, I can create a text file , lets say, details.txt with file-day mapping.

          The content of details.txt (for the argument sake) can be

          Tuesday: abcd.zip
          Wednesday: efgh.zip
          Thursday: ijkl.zip
          Friday: mnop.zip
          Saturday: qrst.zip,uvwx.zip

          or it can be in some other format.

          I hope I am making things clearer and not firther confusing you.

          Thanks very much!

          Kind Regards,

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 11, 2010
            On 12/10/2010 04:58, Abhijat Singh wrote:

            > Apologies if I am confusing you.

            I am not confused, I was merely seeking clarification as you were not
            specific enough.

            PLEASE LEARN NOT TO TOP POST.

            This script is untested:

            :: Day using WSH
            @echo off
            set TmpFile="%temp%.\tmp.vbs"
            echo> %TmpFile% n=Now
            echo>>%TmpFile% With WScript
            echo>>%TmpFile% .Echo "set dow2=" + WeekDayName(Weekday(n))
            echo>>%TmpFile% End With
            cscript //nologo "%temp%.\tmp.vbs" > "%temp%.\tmp.bat"
            call "%temp%.\tmp.bat"
            del "%temp%.\tmp.bat"
            del %TmpFile%
            set TmpFile=
            :: echo The full weekday name is "%dow2%"

            set "script=C:\BATCH\ftpscript1.txt"

            del "%script%" 2>nul

            if %dow2% NEQ Sunday (
            >> "%script%" echo open <ftpprxy_url>
            >> "%script%" echo user <ftp_proxy user id> <ftp_proxy pswd>
            >> "%script%" echo user <ftp_userid>@<ftp_url> <ftp_pswd>
            >> "%script%" echo cd qfs
            if %dow2% EQU Monday >> "%script%" echo get fileA.zip
            if %dow2% EQU Tuesday >> "%script%" echo get fileB.zip
            if %dow2% EQU Wednesday >> "%script%" echo get fileC.zip
            if %dow2% EQU Thursday >> "%script%" echo get fileD.zip
            if %dow2% EQU Friday >> "%script%" echo get fileE.zip
            if %dow2% EQU Saturday >> "%script%" echo get fileF.zip
            if %dow2% EQU Saturday >> "%script%" echo get fileG.zip
            >> "%script%" echo quit

            S:
            cd S:\app\inbound\vendors
            ftp -v -n -i -s:"%script%"
            C:

            del "%script%" 2>nul
            )
          • Glenn B. Lawler
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 11, 2010
              Here is a way to write a batch with sections for each day of the week
              without depending on Windows Scripting Host in only a few lines:

              FOR /F "usebackq delims==" %%i IN (`DATE /T`) DO SET WeekDay=%%i
              SET WeekDay=%WeekDay:~0,3%
              GOTO %WeekDay%
              :Mon
              :Tue
              :Wed
              :Thu
              :Fri
              :Sat
              :Sun

              Glenn Lawler
              www.incodesystems.com

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 11, 2010
                  On 12/10/2010 06:11, Glenn B. Lawler wrote:
                  > Lost the line breaks in the transfer. Here is how it should be:
                  >
                  > FOR /F "usebackq delims==" %%i IN (`DATE /T`) DO SET WeekDay=%%i
                  > SET WeekDay=%WeekDay:~0,3%
                  > GOTO %WeekDay%
                  > :Mon
                  > :Tue
                  > :Wed
                  > :Thu
                  > :Fri
                  > :Sat
                  > :Sun

                  Glenn, thanks for your post.

                  The format of date /t is dependant on the locale and also the users
                  settings
                  and it may not contain a day keyword, which is why I chose to use WSH.
                • Glenn B. Lawler
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 11, 2010
                    >On 12/10/2010 06:11, Glenn B. Lawler wrote:
                    >> Lost the line breaks in the transfer. Here is how it should be:
                    >>
                    >> FOR /F "usebackq delims==" %%i IN (`DATE /T`) DO SET WeekDay=%%i SET
                    >> WeekDay=%WeekDay:~0,3% GOTO %WeekDay% :Mon :Tue :Wed :Thu :Fri :Sat
                    >> :Sun
                    >
                    >Glenn, thanks for your post.
                    >
                    >The format of date /t is dependant on the locale and also the users
                    settings and it may not contain a day keyword, which is why I chose to use
                    WSH.

                    Glad you brought up the regional settings issue. We actually don't use that
                    ourselves. I wrote a program many years ago that sets the ERRORLEVEL to a
                    number corresponding to the day of the week.
                  • Abhijat Singh
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 12, 2010
                      --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn B. Lawler" <gblawler@...> wrote:

                      > >On 12/10/2010 06:11, Glenn B. Lawler wrote:
                      > >> Lost the line breaks in the transfer. Here is how it should be:
                      > >>
                      > >> FOR /F "usebackq delims==" %%i IN (`DATE /T`) DO SET WeekDay=%%i SET
                      > >> WeekDay=%WeekDay:~0,3% GOTO %WeekDay% :Mon :Tue :Wed :Thu :Fri :Sat
                      > >> :Sun
                      > >
                      > >Glenn, thanks for your post.
                      > >
                      > >The format of date /t is dependant on the locale and also the users
                      > settings and it may not contain a day keyword, which is why I chose to use
                      > WSH.
                      >
                      > Glad you brought up the regional settings issue. We actually don't use that
                      > ourselves. I wrote a program many years ago that sets the ERRORLEVEL to a
                      > number corresponding to the day of the week.

                      Hi Foxidrive,
                      The script provided by you worked very well on my machine. However, this part of the script doesn't seem to work on a production server (may be due to difference in settings).
                      set TmpFile="%temp%.\tmp.vbs"
                      echo> %TmpFile% n=Now
                      echo>>%TmpFile% With WScript
                      echo>>%TmpFile% .Echo "set dow2=" + WeekDayName(Weekday(n))
                      echo>>%TmpFile% End With
                      cscript //nologo "%temp%.\tmp.vbs" > "%temp%.\tmp.bat"
                      call "%temp%.\tmp.bat"
                      del "%temp%.\tmp.bat"
                      del %TmpFile%
                      set TmpFile=
                      echo The full weekday name is "%dow2%"

                      I get error as "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." 8 times. Then "The full weekday name is "" " and finally, "Sunday was unexpected at this time"

                      I think the difference is in the tmp file settings. Can we have something without involving tmp files. Something like
                      n=Now

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 12, 2010
                        On 12/10/2010 21:39, Abhijat Singh wrote:
                        > The script provided by you worked very well on my machine. However, this part of the script doesn't seem to work on a production server (may be due to difference in settings).
                        > set TmpFile="%temp%.\tmp.vbs"
                        > echo> %TmpFile% n=Now
                        > echo>>%TmpFile% With WScript
                        > echo>>%TmpFile% .Echo "set dow2=" + WeekDayName(Weekday(n))
                        > echo>>%TmpFile% End With
                        > cscript //nologo "%temp%.\tmp.vbs"> "%temp%.\tmp.bat"
                        > call "%temp%.\tmp.bat"
                        > del "%temp%.\tmp.bat"
                        > del %TmpFile%
                        > set TmpFile=
                        > echo The full weekday name is "%dow2%"
                        >
                        > I get error as "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." 8 times. Then "The full weekday name is "" " and finally, "Sunday was unexpected at this time"
                        >
                        > I think the difference is in the tmp file settings. Can we have something without involving tmp files. Something like
                        > n=Now
                        > set dow2=" + WeekDayName(Weekday(n))

                        Can you try this code on the production server to see what it generates?

                        @echo off
                        set TmpFile="%temp%\tmp.vbs"
                        echo> %TmpFile% n=Now
                        echo>>%TmpFile% With WScript
                        echo>>%TmpFile% .Echo "set dow2=" + WeekDayName(Weekday(n))
                        echo>>%TmpFile% End With
                        cscript //nologo "%temp%\tmp.vbs" > "%temp%\tmp.bat"
                        call "%temp%\tmp.bat"
                        del "%temp%\tmp.bat"
                        del %TmpFile%
                        set TmpFile=
                        echo The full weekday name is "%dow2%"
                        echo "%temp%"
                        pause
                      • Abhijat Singh
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 13, 2010
                          --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, foxidrive <foxidrive@...> wrote:

                          > On 12/10/2010 21:39, Abhijat Singh wrote:
                          > > The script provided by you worked very well on my machine. However, this part of the script doesn't seem to work on a production server (may be due to difference in settings).
                          > > set TmpFile="%temp%.\tmp.vbs"
                          > > echo> %TmpFile% n=Now
                          > > echo>>%TmpFile% With WScript
                          > > echo>>%TmpFile% .Echo "set dow2=" + WeekDayName(Weekday(n))
                          > > echo>>%TmpFile% End With
                          > > cscript //nologo "%temp%.\tmp.vbs"> "%temp%.\tmp.bat"
                          > > call "%temp%.\tmp.bat"
                          > > del "%temp%.\tmp.bat"
                          > > del %TmpFile%
                          > > set TmpFile=
                          > > echo The full weekday name is "%dow2%"
                          > >
                          > > I get error as "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." 8 times. Then "The full weekday name is "" " and finally, "Sunday was unexpected at this time"
                          > >
                          > > I think the difference is in the tmp file settings. Can we have something without involving tmp files. Something like
                          > > n=Now
                          > > set dow2=" + WeekDayName(Weekday(n))
                          >
                          > Can you try this code on the production server to see what it generates?
                          >
                          > @echo off
                          > set TmpFile="%temp%\tmp.vbs"
                          > echo> %TmpFile% n=Now
                          > echo>>%TmpFile% With WScript
                          > echo>>%TmpFile% .Echo "set dow2=" + WeekDayName(Weekday(n))
                          > echo>>%TmpFile% End With
                          > cscript //nologo "%temp%\tmp.vbs" > "%temp%\tmp.bat"
                          > call "%temp%\tmp.bat"
                          > del "%temp%\tmp.bat"
                          > del %TmpFile%
                          > set TmpFile=
                          > echo The full weekday name is "%dow2%"
                          > echo "%temp%"
                          > pause

                          Hi Forxidrive,
                          Thanks for replying. This is what I get:
                          D:\users\abhijat\Windows Scripting>practice.bat
                          The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
                          The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
                          The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
                          The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
                          The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
                          The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
                          The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
                          The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
                          The full weekday name is ""
                          "C:\Documents and Settings\svc_erd_prd_abacus\Local Settings\Temp;C:\Program Fi
                          es\Downloads\"
                          Press any key to continue . . .

                          Thanks and Regards,
                          Abhijat
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 13, 2010
                            On 13/10/2010 23:42, Abhijat Singh wrote:

                            >> echo The full weekday name is "%dow2%"
                            >> echo "%temp%"
                            >> pause

                            > The full weekday name is ""
                            > "C:\Documents and Settings\svc_erd_prd_abacus\Local Settings\Temp;C:\Program Files\Downloads\"
                            > Press any key to continue . . .

                            The temp variable has an error on that machine - it is concatenated with
                            another folder. It's a wonder that machine doesn't have other issues.

                            This piece should not be there.

                            ;C:\Program Files\Downloads\
                          • Abhijat Singh
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 13, 2010
                              --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, foxidrive <foxidrive@...> wrote:

                              > On 13/10/2010 23:42, Abhijat Singh wrote:
                              >
                              > >> echo The full weekday name is "%dow2%"
                              > >> echo "%temp%"
                              > >> pause
                              >
                              > > The full weekday name is ""
                              > > "C:\Documents and Settings\svc_erd_prd_abacus\Local Settings\Temp;C:\Program Files\Downloads\"
                              > > Press any key to continue . . .
                              >

                              > The temp variable has an error on that machine - it is concatenated with
                              > another folder. It's a wonder that machine doesn't have other issues.
                              >
                              > This piece should not be there.
                              >
                              > ;C:\Program Files\Downloads\

                              Hi Foxidrive,
                              I got your point. I have now removed ;C:\Program Files\Downloads\ from the temp variable and re-ran the original script you gave me. It ran error free.

                              Probably, the machine had no other issues till now because its fairly new and its me mostly working on it. With the kind of knowledge I possess (you if not the entire group must have gauged already), I wonder how good an idea is that :-(.
                              Anyways, you are the best!
                              Thanks very much!

                              Kind Regards,
                              Abhijat.