A comprehensive backup tool - XXCOPY

    Message 1 of 9 , May 20 6:22 AM
      I use a command-line win32 program called XXCOPY which is syntactically
      identical to MS XCOPY but goes far beyond it in terms of ability and
      functionality.

      http://www.datman.com/xxcopy/

      It is perfect for batch file driven system backups, which is how I use it, as
      it can clone a drive or directory structure and can then update/remove only
      the files/directories that have changed, based on
      filetime/date/filesize/attribute etc.

      It has many, many other uses

      Yahoo! sponsors a group dedicated for the discussion of XXCOPY, and people
      can visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xxcopy and become a member.

      Just a plug from a satisfied user.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 22 7:13 AM
        Can anyone tell me how to remove the %windir% environment variable in a dos
        window under windows 98 se?

        Michael
      • Bob Bissinnar
        Message 3 of 9 , May 23 10:23 AM
          At 12:13 AM 5/23/2001 +1000, Michael Marquart Writes
          >Can anyone tell me how to remove the %windir% environment variable in a dos
          >window under windows 98 se?

          Greetings Michael,
          My bad news is that I could not get the changes to "stick". Having said
          that here's what I tried (maybe this will trigger something for you or
          others to try) <Using Win 98 SEWindows 98 [Version 4.10.2222]
          Revision A DOS is in HMA>

          The %windir% appears to be set from the reg key
          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

          I changed the key and made changes to msdos.sys, vmm32.vxd and win.com
          using a hex editor. I found nothing to change in command.com or
          explorer.exe that seemed to work. (did screw up a couple of reboots though!
          <grin>)

          Could be I'm failing in my tests for what you want to do. I used the follow
          batch file: (86 the **)
          *******************************
          @echo off
          echo First Environment:
          set
          echo @echo off > try.bat
          path >> try.bat
          echo echo. >> try.bat
          echo echo Here is the Second Environment: >> try.bat
          echo set >> try.bat
          command Noenvir /c try.bat
          del try.bat
          *****************************
          I'm not the "sharpest pencil in the box" when it comes to WIN or DOS....I
          do this for fun!<smile>

          Thanks for your help in the past! Good luck and best wishes! Let us know if
          you find a solution!
          bob
          Message 4 of 9 , May 23 10:55 AM
            >At 12:13 AM 5/23/2001 +1000, Michael Marquart Writes
            > >Can anyone tell me how to remove the %windir% environment variable in a dos
            > >window under windows 98 se?
            >
            >Greetings Michael,
            >My bad news is that I could not get the changes to "stick". Having said
            >that here's what I tried (maybe this will trigger something for you or
            >others to try) <Using Win 98 SEWindows 98 [Version 4.10.2222]
            >Revision A DOS is in HMA>
            >
            >The %windir% appears to be set from the reg key
            >[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
            >
            >I changed the key and made changes to msdos.sys, vmm32.vxd and win.com
            >using a hex editor. I found nothing to change in command.com or
            >explorer.exe that seemed to work. (did screw up a couple of reboots though!
            ><grin>)

            Thanks for going to the effort Bob! Much appreciated.

            I did get some help from Todd Vargo which solved my problem, and his advice
            was:

            "Sure, create a PIF to your batch (or program). Then open the properties
            dialog for that PIF, make the Program tab current, press the Advanced
            button, and select the "Prevent MS-DOS-based programs from detecting
            Windows" CheckBox. Make sure to press both OK buttons."

            My test batch simply looks like this, and when it doesn't echo anything then
            that's how I wanted it.

            @echo off
            echo. %windir%

            >..I do this for fun!<smile>
            >
            >Thanks for your help in the past! Good luck and best wishes! Let us know if
            >you find a solution!
            >bob

            I do it for fun also - and thanks for your kind words.

            Michael
          • Bob Bissinnar
            Message 5 of 9 , May 23 12:11 PM
              At 03:55 AM 5/24/2001 +1000, Michael Marquart Writes
              >I did get some help from Todd Vargo which solved my problem, and his advice
              >was:>"Sure, create a PIF to your batch (or program). Then open the properties
              >dialog for that PIF, make the Program tab current, press the Advanced
              >button, and select the "Prevent MS-DOS-based programs from detecting
              >Windows" CheckBox. Make sure to press both OK buttons."

              Very simple.....nice job and smart! As usual I used my 38-55 vs a 22 to
              shoot the problem <grin>
              thanks for the reply.......
              good luck & best wishes