Re: [BATCH WORLD] Serial Ports and Batch Files...

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2008
      On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:18:28 -0000, "cwb212001" <cwb212001@...>
      wrote:

      >Hey you guys have helped me before and I really appreciate it. I've
      >got a new one I could use some info on. I have a device that passes
      >simple 5 character number strings via rs232. I need to receive this
      >data from the serial port, call a batch file and pass it the 5 number
      >string as a parameter. Is there any software you know of that will do
      >this? Is this something I can do within a batch file? I've looked at
      >serial port monitors but I don't see anyway to have the batch file
      >called when data is received on the serial port. I don't know much
      >about hyperterm especially if it could call a batch. Am I way off in
      >left field? Thanks again. Chris

      Hyperterminal can't do it and a batch file can't read the serial port
      natively.

      A flavour of basic can OPEN and read the serial port and shell to CMD and
      launch a batch file with the parameter. VBscript is probably just as
      capable and available on most Windows machines these days. Perhaps you can
      try a Visual Basic newsgroup or maybe one of the guys here can whip
      something up for you, if you describe the kind of activity that is expected
      on the serial port.
    • cwb212001
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2008
        Thanks for the response foxidrive. That's what I've been finding
        out. After many hours of looking I did find a simple piece of
        freeware that I think will work just great. It's a serial port
        redirector with data filter amongst other things. It's going to take
        the data from my device via the serial port and can call my batch
        file (or any program) and either pass it the data on the call or
        stuff the rx data into the keyboard buffer just like I typed it on
        the keyboard. One way or another I'll get it to work. You probably
        knew about this type of program, I'm just explaining this to save
        someone else some time. I won't mention the name here so if anyone's
        interested send me an email. Thanks again.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 2008
          On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:59:27 -0000, "cwb212001" <cwb212001@...>
          wrote:

          >Thanks for the response foxidrive. That's what I've been finding
          >out. After many hours of looking I did find a simple piece of
          >freeware that I think will work just great. It's a serial port
          >redirector with data filter amongst other things. It's going to take
          >the data from my device via the serial port and can call my batch
          >file (or any program) and either pass it the data on the call or
          >stuff the rx data into the keyboard buffer just like I typed it on
          >the keyboard. One way or another I'll get it to work. You probably
          >knew about this type of program, I'm just explaining this to save
          >someone else some time. I won't mention the name here so if anyone's
          >interested send me an email. Thanks again.

          By all means mention the name. People looking through the archives one day
          will want to know...
        • sam20martin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 23, 2008
            Tangential to this thread, people might find this snippet from a
            batch file useful. Earlier in the script I ftp election returns and
            then echo the contents of same to com2, (which I then wrap right
            back around into com3 so a client can read it but don't ask about
            that part, thnx AP)
            (btw, I too would like to get hands on that serial port redirector)

            mode com2: baud=9600 parity=n data=8 stop=1 ; set up the com port
            for /f "tokens=*" %%a in ('dir *.anpa /b') do @echo %%a && copy /b %%
            a com2 ; don't forget to wrap this line.

            --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, foxidrive <foxidrive@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:59:27 -0000, "cwb212001" <cwb212001@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > >Thanks for the response foxidrive. That's what I've been finding
            > >out. After many hours of looking I did find a simple piece of
            > >freeware that I think will work just great. It's a serial port
            > >redirector with data filter amongst other things. It's going to
            take
            > >the data from my device via the serial port and can call my batch
            > >file (or any program) and either pass it the data on the call or
            > >stuff the rx data into the keyboard buffer just like I typed it
            on
            > >the keyboard. One way or another I'll get it to work. You
            probably
            > >knew about this type of program, I'm just explaining this to save
            > >someone else some time. I won't mention the name here so if
            anyone's
            > >interested send me an email. Thanks again.
            >
            > By all means mention the name. People looking through the
            archives one day
            > will want to know...

          • cwb212001
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 23, 2008
              Name of the software is Bill Redirect Serial to KB.

              --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, foxidrive <foxidrive@...> wrote:

              > On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:59:27 -0000, "cwb212001" <cwb212001@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > >Thanks for the response foxidrive. That's what I've been finding
              > >out. After many hours of looking I did find a simple piece of
              > >freeware that I think will work just great. It's a serial port
              > >redirector with data filter amongst other things. It's going to
              take
              > >the data from my device via the serial port and can call my batch
              > >file (or any program) and either pass it the data on the call or
              > >stuff the rx data into the keyboard buffer just like I typed it on
              > >the keyboard. One way or another I'll get it to work. You
              probably
              > >knew about this type of program, I'm just explaining this to save
              > >someone else some time. I won't mention the name here so if
              anyone's
              > >interested send me an email. Thanks again.
              >
              > By all means mention the name. People looking through the archives
              one day
              > will want to know...

            • Raja Sekhar