Re: [BATCH WORLD] SED Question

    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 25, 2007
      On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 02:30:18 +1000, foxidrive <foxidrive@...>
      wrote:

      >On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:16:51 -0500, "Morris, Lamar" <LamarMorris@...>
      >wrote:
      >
      >>I've been trying to get this to work but haven't had any luck. Any help
      >>would be apprecitated.
      >
      >I think this is what you want to do, Lamar.
      >

      >@echo off
      >FOR /F "TOKENS=1" %%i IN (name.txt) DO (
      >sed "s/Reconnect=NO/Reconnect=60/g" <%%i\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini >c:\a.txt
      >move c:\a.txt %%i\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini
      >)
      >del c:\a.txt

      This is meant to change "Reconnect" and any three characters to
      "Reconnect=90" in the first 14 lines. I learned that I can operate on just
      a range too so thanks. :) Test it well, of course.

      @echo off
      FOR /F "TOKENS=1" %%i IN (name.txt) DO (
      sed "1,14 s/Reconnect.../Reconnect=90/" <%%i\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini >c:\a.txt
      move c:\a.txt %%i\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini
      )
      del c:\a.txt
    • Morris, Lamar
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 25, 2007
        Thanks Mic. BTW both examples are having a problem with c:\a.txt

        if I understand what you're doing (don't laugh too hard) your directing
        the ini file in to the SED statement then piping the results out to a
        file named a.txt then piping it back to the ini file.

        Lamar

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 25, 2007
          On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:52:44 -0500, "Morris, Lamar" <LamarMorris@...>
          wrote:

          >Thanks Mic. BTW both examples are having a problem with c:\a.txt
          >
          >if I understand what you're doing (don't laugh too hard) your directing
          >the ini file in to the SED statement then piping the results out to a
          >file named a.txt then piping it back to the ini file.

          >@echo off
          >FOR /F "TOKENS=1" %%i IN (name.txt) DO (
          >sed "1,14 s/Reconnect.../Reconnect=90/" <%%i\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini c:\a.txt
          >move c:\a.txt %%i\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini
          >)
          >del c:\a.txt

          What's the error please?

          It is taking the first token in name.txt (I assumed they are server names)
          and then replacing the text in the file on the server and piping the
          changed info to c:\a.txt (That a.txt should be at the end of the line.)

          The next line overwrites the original file on the server with the new data.
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 25, 2007
            On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 03:02:04 +1000, foxidrive <foxidrive@...>
            wrote:

            >On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:52:44 -0500, "Morris, Lamar" <LamarMorris@...>
            >wrote:
            >
            >>Thanks Mic. BTW both examples are having a problem with c:\a.txt
            >>
            >>if I understand what you're doing (don't laugh too hard) your directing
            >>the ini file in to the SED statement then piping the results out to a
            >>file named a.txt then piping it back to the ini file.

            @echo off
            FOR /F "TOKENS=1" %%i IN (name.txt) DO (
            sed "1,14 s/Reconnect.../Reconnect=90/" <%%i\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini >c:\a.txt
            move c:\a.txt %%i\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini
            )
            del c:\a.txt

            I see my error, I missed the redirection symbol.
          • Morris, Lamar
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 25, 2007
              It's still complaining about a.txt it appears that it may be creating
              the a.txt because I can create one and it will get deleted.

              D:\Batch\Greg\07-25-07\TESTFOLDER>60to90

              Could Not Find c:\a.txt

              I'm assuming that there are 6 lines to the script.

              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 25, 2007
                On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:10:03 -0500, "Morris, Lamar" <LamarMorris@...>
                wrote:

                >It's still complaining about a.txt it appears that it may be creating
                >the a.txt because I can create one and it will get deleted.
                >

                >D:\Batch\Greg\07-25-07\TESTFOLDER>60to90
                >
                >Could Not Find c:\a.txt
                >

                >I'm assuming that there are 6 lines to the script.

                5 lines in total now. I've changed the script ever so slightly to make
                wrapping more obvious.

                @echo off
                FOR /F "TOKENS=1" %%i IN (name.txt) DO (
                sed "1,14 s/Reconnect.../Reconnect=90/" %%i\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini>c:\a.txt
                move c:\a.txt %%i\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini
                )

                The error was the last line (deleted now) that was trying to remove the
                temp file but it no longer existed, because I was using MOVE.
              • Morris, Lamar
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 25, 2007
                  Thanks, Mic it's running without error now and changing the time stamp
                  on the INI files, but it's not making the expected change.

                  Lamar

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 25, 2007
                    Mic, can you explain what you're doing here.

                    sed "1,14

                    Lamar

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 25, 2007
                      On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:30:25 -0500, "Morris, Lamar" <LamarMorris@...>
                      wrote:

                      >Mic, can you explain what you're doing here.
                      >

                      >sed "1,14

                      It performs the replace only on lines 1 to 14. I may have counted
                      incorrectly when I removed some blank lines from the sample file.
                    • Morris, Lamar
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 25, 2007
                        Thanks.

                        Lamar

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 25, 2007
                          That's probably the problem, the example I sent was an excerpt from a
                          file and not the whole file. The could have from a few to many lines.
                          I'll dink with it.

                          Lamar

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 25, 2007
                            On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:38:34 -0500, "Morris, Lamar" <LamarMorris@...>
                            wrote:

                            >That's probably the problem, the example I sent was an excerpt from a
                            >file and not the whole file. The could have from a few to many lines.
                            >I'll dink with it.

                            Another day, another batch file. ;-)

                            This has been tested (my apologies for omitting that info to begin with in
                            this thread) but has had the specific paths added and variable changed to
                            %%a, which have not been tested.

                            @echo off
                            setlocal
                            FOR /F "TOKENS=1" %%a IN (name.txt) DO (
                            for /f "tokens=2 delims=[]" %%b in (
                            'find /n "Reconnect="^<%%a\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini^|find /n /v ""^|find "[1]"'
                            ) do (
                            sed "%%b s/Reconnect.../Reconnect=90/" %%a\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini>c:\a.txt
                            move c:\a.txt %%a\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini
                            )
                            )

                            It is 10 lines in total and should change only the first occurance of
                            "Reconnect=" in the ini file.

                            The triplet of find commands detect firstly all the "Reconnect=" lines, and
                            provides the line numbers using /n, then takes the first of those (by
                            renumbering those lines again) and uses the first line number in the sed
                            command to change only that line.
                          • Morris, Lamar
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 26, 2007
                              Many thanks Mic, you make all our lives easier with your scripting
                              expertise, as usual the script works flawlessly.

                              Lamar

                              ________________________________

                              >That's probably the problem, the example I sent was an excerpt from a
                              >file and not the whole file. The could have from a few to many lines.
                              >I'll dink with it.

                              Another day, another batch file. ;-)

                              This has been tested (my apologies for omitting that info to begin with
                              in
                              this thread) but has had the specific paths added and variable changed
                              %%a, which have not been tested.

                              @echo off
                              setlocal
                              FOR /F "TOKENS=1" %%a IN (name.txt) DO (
                              for /f "tokens=2 delims=[]" %%b in (
                              'find /n "Reconnect="^<%%a\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini^|find /n /v ""^|find
                              "[1]"'
                              ) do (
                              sed "%%b s/Reconnect.../Reconnect=90/" %%a\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini>c:\a.txt
                              move c:\a.txt %%a\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini
                              )
                              )

                              It is 10 lines in total and should change only the first occurance of
                              "Reconnect=" in the ini file.

                              The triplet of find commands detect firstly all the "Reconnect=" lines,
                              and
                              provides the line numbers using /n, then takes the first of those (by
                              renumbering those lines again) and uses the first line number in the sed
                              command to change only that line.

                            • Garry Deane
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 27, 2007
                                --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, foxidrive <foxidrive@...> wrote:

                                > Another day, another batch file. ;-)
                                >
                                > This has been tested (my apologies for omitting that info to
                                > begin with in this thread) but has had the specific paths added
                                > and variable changed to %%a, which have not been tested.
                                >

                                > @echo off
                                > setlocal
                                > FOR /F "TOKENS=1" %%a IN (name.txt) DO (
                                > for /f "tokens=2 delims=[]" %%b in (
                                > 'find /n "Reconnect="^<%%
                                a\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini^|find /n /v ""^|find "[1]"'
                                > ) do (
                                > sed "%%b s/Reconnect.../Reconnect=90/" %%
                                a\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini>c:\a.txt
                                > move c:\a.txt %%a\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini
                                > )
                                > )
                                >

                                > It is 10 lines in total and should change only the first
                                > occurance of "Reconnect=" in the ini file.
                                >
                                > The triplet of find commands detect firstly all the "Reconnect="
                                > lines, and provides the line numbers using /n, then takes the
                                > first of those (by renumbering those lines again) and uses the
                                > first line number in the sed command to change only that line.

                                Maybe I'm missing something here but this seems overly complex.
                                You can use the line range syntax in sed to only search and
                                replace up to the first occurrence of "Reconnect=" e.g.

                                sed "1,/Reconnect=/s/Reconnect=../Reconnect=90/" < in.txt > out.txt

                                Garry
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 27, 2007
                                  On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:50:20 -0000, "Garry Deane" <garrydeane@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  >> The triplet of find commands detect firstly all the "Reconnect="
                                  >> lines, and provides the line numbers using /n, then takes the
                                  >> first of those (by renumbering those lines again) and uses the
                                  >> first line number in the sed command to change only that line.
                                  >>

                                  >Maybe I'm missing something here but this seems overly complex.
                                  >You can use the line range syntax in sed to only search and
                                  >replace up to the first occurrence of "Reconnect=" e.g.
                                  >
                                  >sed "1,/Reconnect=/s/Reconnect=../Reconnect=90/" < in.txt > out.txt
                                  >
                                  >Garry

                                  We could have used you the other day Garry. :)
                                • Morris, Lamar
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 27, 2007
                                    Thanks Garry, I'll test and add to my scripts folder.

                                    Lamar

                                    ________________________________

                                    > This has been tested (my apologies for omitting that info to
                                    > begin with in this thread) but has had the specific paths added
                                    > and variable changed to %%a, which have not been tested.
                                    >

                                    > @echo off
                                    > setlocal
                                    > FOR /F "TOKENS=1" %%a IN (name.txt) DO (
                                    > for /f "tokens=2 delims=[]" %%b in (
                                    > 'find /n "Reconnect="^<%%
                                    a\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini^|find /n /v ""^|find "[1]"'
                                    > ) do (
                                    > sed "%%b s/Reconnect.../Reconnect=90/" %%
                                    a\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini>c:\a.txt
                                    > move c:\a.txt %%a\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini
                                    > )
                                    > )
                                    >

                                    > It is 10 lines in total and should change only the first
                                    > occurance of "Reconnect=" in the ini file.
                                    >
                                    > The triplet of find commands detect firstly all the "Reconnect="
                                    > lines, and provides the line numbers using /n, then takes the
                                    > first of those (by renumbering those lines again) and uses the
                                    > first line number in the sed command to change only that line.

                                    Maybe I'm missing something here but this seems overly complex.
                                    You can use the line range syntax in sed to only search and
                                    replace up to the first occurrence of "Reconnect=" e.g.

                                    sed "1,/Reconnect=/s/Reconnect=../Reconnect=90/" < in.txt > out.txt

                                    Garry

                                  • henter2009
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 14, 2009
                                      I have the following question about sed and methacaracters:

                                      In the eg number 1, I escaped the +, to get any matches with 1 plus (1 or
                                      more characters)
                                      In the eg number 2, I escaped the *, to get any matches with 0 or more
                                      characters, but it scape the * and takes it at literal.

                                      Why it doesn't take + literal as well?
                                      How does it really works?
                                      Any help?

                                      1.) sed -ne '/t\+/Ip'