RUN AS.....

  • Terry Dunlap
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 5, 2007
      I am needing to run an executable on over 300 machines. It requires admin rights to do so. Is
      there a way in a batch file to pass the admin user name and password so as to run the
      executable in the the form of RUN AS... so I can put it in a login script?
    • Terry Dunlap
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 5, 2007
        --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Dunlap" <ace_man47@...> wrote:

        > I am needing to run an executable on over 300 machines. It requires
        admin rights to do so. Is
        > there a way in a batch file to pass the admin user name and password
        so as to run the
        > executable in the the form of RUN AS... so I can put it in a login
        script?

        OK, I found part of the answer.

        runas /user:mac\administrator program.exe

        this still asks for the password. Is there a way to perhaps put that
        in a text pad and have the prompt read the text to get the password
        and finish running?
      • Morris, Lamar
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
          Try this, runas /user:mac\administrator password program.exe

          Lamar

          ________________________________

          > I am needing to run an executable on over 300 machines. It requires
          admin rights to do so. Is
          > there a way in a batch file to pass the admin user name and password
          so as to run the
          > executable in the the form of RUN AS... so I can put it in a login
          script?

          OK, I found part of the answer.

          runas /user:mac\administrator program.exe

          this still asks for the password. Is there a way to perhaps put that
          in a text pad and have the prompt read the text to get the password
          and finish running?

        • Derek Byrne
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
            Hi!

            I had a requirement recently to run something similar on a few hundred
            machines, try this:

            http://www.commandline.co.uk/sanur/

            It is called Sanur.

            The string you're looking to implement would possibly look like this:
            (beware, this might wrap to the next line)

            runas /noprofile /user:<DOMAIN>\<USER>
            "%logonserver%\NETLOGON\WPA_Patch\WindowsXP-KB893357-v2-x86-ENU.exe
            /quiet /norestart" | %logonserver%\netlogon\sanur <PASSWORD>

            Or, if you run sanur from CMD prompt, it will give you the following
            info:

            SANUR v1.0.3.1 Commandline RUNAS Automation Utility for 2000/XP/2003.
            Copyright (c) 2001-2003 Ritchie Lawrence, http://www.commandline.co.uk

            RUNAS <options> | SANUR password
            RUNAS <options> | SANUR /i [drive:][path]filename

            /i Pipes the password from the specified file into RUNAS

            Example usage:-

            runas /u:domain\username program.exe | sanur pa55w0rd
            runas /u:domain\username program.exe | sanur /i password.txt

            ----

            HTH,

            Derek

            ________________________________

            > I am needing to run an executable on over 300 machines. It requires
            admin rights to do so. Is
            > there a way in a batch file to pass the admin user name and password
            so as to run the
            > executable in the the form of RUN AS... so I can put it in a login
            script?

            OK, I found part of the answer.

            runas /user:mac\administrator program.exe

            this still asks for the password. Is there a way to perhaps put that
            in a text pad and have the prompt read the text to get the password
            and finish running?

          • droidmcse
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
              Why not use psexec from the pstools?
              http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/pstools.mspx

              you could easily do:
              psexec \\computername -u user -p password command.exe

              The command has to be in the destination path. if it's a local batch
              file on your machine, add the -c switch and it will copy it to the
              destination box. Also tossing in the -d will have it NOT wait for the
              process to finish, and -i if it needs to interact w/ the desktop.

              Just my two cents worth....

              --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, "Derek Byrne" <Derek.Byrne@...> wrote:

              > Hi!
              >
              > I had a requirement recently to run something similar on a few hundred
              > machines, try this:
              >
              > http://www.commandline.co.uk/sanur/
              >
              > It is called Sanur.
              >
              > The string you're looking to implement would possibly look like this:
              > (beware, this might wrap to the next line)
              >
              > runas /noprofile /user:<DOMAIN>\<USER>
              > "%logonserver%\NETLOGON\WPA_Patch\WindowsXP-KB893357-v2-x86-ENU.exe
              > /quiet /norestart" | %logonserver%\netlogon\sanur <PASSWORD>
              >
              > Or, if you run sanur from CMD prompt, it will give you the following
              > info:
              >
              > SANUR v1.0.3.1 Commandline RUNAS Automation Utility for 2000/XP/2003.
              > Copyright (c) 2001-2003 Ritchie Lawrence, http://www.commandline.co.uk
              >
              > RUNAS <options> | SANUR password
              > RUNAS <options> | SANUR /i [drive:][path]filename
              >
              > /i Pipes the password from the specified file into RUNAS
              >
              > Example usage:-
              >
              > runas /u:domain\username program.exe | sanur pa55w0rd
              > runas /u:domain\username program.exe | sanur /i password.txt
              >
              > ----
              >
              > HTH,
              >
              > Derek
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Morris, Lamar
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
                Here is a script written by Ken Mazie (thanks Ken) that does what you
                wanted to do in your original request. It uses password.txt to read a
                password list. The execute section is where you do the programs. Watch
                out for wrapped lines.

                ::intent is to enumerate a domain, connect to the machines, and push out
                updates.

                :: Right now it's set up to parse a text file looking for the machines
                to hit.

                :: Written by Ken Mazie

                ::@echo off

                cls

                :variables

                :: set all initial variables here

                set password=

                set domain=

                set admin=administrator

                set match=no

                :getdate

                :: Gets the date from the local PC and sets it as a variable then
                creates the log file and names it after todays date.

                FOR /F "TOKENS=1,2*" %%A IN ('DATE/T') DO SET TODAY=%%B

                SET TODAY=%TODAY:/=-%

                echo This run completed on %TODAY% >.\log.txt

                echo -===================================->>.\log.txt

                ::ren .\log.txt .\%TODAY%-log.txt

                :getmachines

                :: Reads specified domain and calls CHECK subroutine for each machine
                found.

                :: FOR /F "skip=3 tokens=*" %%A IN ('NET VIEW /DOMAIN:%domain%') DO
                CALL

                :check %%A

                :: goto exit

                :getmachines

                :: Reads specified file and calls CHECK subroutine for each machine
                found.

                FOR /F %%A IN (.\machines.txt) DO CALL :check %%A

                ::goto exit

                :check

                :: Checks current machine against exclusion list.

                set currentmachine=%1

                for /F %%i in (.\exclude.txt) do if /I %currentmachine%==%%i set
                match=yes

                if %match%==no call :process

                if %match%==yes call :bypass

                goto :EOF

                goto :exit

                :bypass

                :: Bypass message entered in log if machine is on exclude list.

                @echo Current system: %currentmachine% is on the exclude list,
                BYPASSING....... >>.\log.txt

                echo -===================================->>.\log.txt

                set match=no

                goto :EOF

                :process

                :connect

                @echo Current system: %currentmachine% is
                valid......Processing.......>>.\log.txt

                net use %currentmachine%\IPC$ /D

                @echo Attempting logon to %currentmachine% >>.\log.txt

                :: Attempts connection with passwords in password file.

                for /F %%i in (.\passwords.txt) do call :login %%i

                echo Unable to login to %currentmachine% >>.\log.txt

                goto :EOF

                :login

                net use \\%currentmachine%\IPC$ /USER:%currentmachine%\%admin% %1
                >>.\log.txt

                if errorlevel 1 goto :EOF

                goto :execute

                :execute

                ::runs programs

                xcopy /Y /s /e /v /R F:\Patch\Make\smspkg\*.* \\%COMPUTER%\c$\smspkg\ >
                NUL

                psexec.exe -d \\%1 -u %1\administrator -p 151wv0
                c:\smspkg\patchapplicator.EXE /s /q

                echo -===================================->>.\log.txt

                set match=no

                goto :EOF

                :Exit

                ________________________________

                http://www.commandline.co.uk <http://www.commandline.co.uk>

                > RUNAS <options> | SANUR password
                > RUNAS <options> | SANUR /i [drive:][path]filename
                >
                > /i Pipes the password from the specified file into RUNAS
                >
                > Example usage:-
                >
                > runas /u:domain\username program.exe | sanur pa55w0rd
                > runas /u:domain\username program.exe | sanur /i password.txt
                >
                > ----
                >
                > HTH,
                >
                > Derek
                >

                > ________________________________
                >
                > From: batchworld@yahoogroups.com <mailto:batchworld%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > I am needing to run an executable on over 300 machines. It requires
                > admin rights to do so. Is
                > > there a way in a batch file to pass the admin user name and password
                > so as to run the
                > > executable in the the form of RUN AS... so I can put it in a login
                > script?
                > >

                > OK, I found part of the answer.
                >
                > runas /user:mac\administrator program.exe
                >
                > this still asks for the password. Is there a way to perhaps put that
                > in a text pad and have the prompt read the text to get the password
                > and finish running?

              • Terry Dunlap
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
                  I appreciate all of the help with this. I have tried several things,
                  batch file, VBScript, PsExec and I have found several solutions. The
                  problem now it that the windows update I am running
                  WindowsXP-KB931836-x86-ENU.exe requires you click "I agree" to the
                  license. I haven't been able to get the done unattended. I have tried
                  a variety of switches, including /q /u /s /passive /quiet, all to no
                  avail. Any ideas? I need this to run without interaction from my
                  users. This would only confuse them to click "next" "I agree" and
                  "finish". (sorry for the sarcasm)

                  --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, "Morris, Lamar" <LamarMorris@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  >
                  > :connect
                  >
                  > @echo Current system: %currentmachine% is
                  > valid......Processing.......>>.\log.txt
                  >
                  > net use %currentmachine%\IPC$ /D
                  >
                  > @echo Attempting logon to %currentmachine% >>.\log.txt
                  >
                  > :: Attempts connection with passwords in password file.
                  >
                  > for /F %%i in (.\passwords.txt) do call :login %%i
                  >
                  > echo Unable to login to %currentmachine% >>.\log.txt
                  >
                  > goto :EOF
                  >

                  > :login
                  >
                  > net use \\%currentmachine%\IPC$ /USER:%currentmachine%\%admin% %1
                  > >>.\log.txt
                  >
                  > if errorlevel 1 goto :EOF
                  >

                  > goto :execute
                  >

                  > :execute
                  >
                  > ::runs programs
                  >
                  > xcopy /Y /s /e /v /R F:\Patch\Make\smspkg\*.* \\%COMPUTER%\c$\smspkg\ >
                  > NUL
                  >
                  > psexec.exe -d \\%1 -u %1\administrator -p 151wv0

                • Marc Peterson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
                    According to the switches indicated by WindowsXP-KB931836-x86-ENU.exe /?,
                    /quiet or /passive should do what you need. I always do this and have never
                    had a problem, but I've only done it on local machines. Since you're
                    sending the command to a remote machine, you might need to use quotes to
                    pass the entire command string including arguments.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
                      I use /p /q and I push out to 1500 remote machines every month.

                      Lamar

                      ________________________________

                      According to the switches indicated by WindowsXP-KB931836-x86-ENU.exe
                      /?,

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
                        Here is a snippit of code I use for psexec to do a remote quite install.
                        The %%1 is the compute name that is set elsewhere in the script.

                        psexec.exe -d \\%1 c:\temp\Owc11.msi /s /q

                        Lmaar

                        ________________________________

                        From: batchworld@yahoogroups.com <mailto:batchworld%40yahoogroups.com>
                        According to the switches indicated by WindowsXP-KB931836-x86-ENU.exe
                        /?,
                        /quiet or /passive should do what you need. I always do this and have
                        never
                        had a problem, but I've only done it on local machines. Since you're
                        sending the command to a remote machine, you might need to use quotes to
                        pass the entire command string including arguments.

                      • Kenneth C. Mazie
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
                          It's also possible to re-write that script you posted to push an AT job out
                          to the remote PC, and then have the AT job kick off the patch install
                          locally at the remote machine (if that makes any sense). To do it you
                          simply push out the patch to some temp folder on the remote system, and then
                          remotely set an AT job to run 5 minutes in the future. Just have the main
                          script cycle through the lists as before and it should work fine, you just
                          need to change what it does once connected. At my last employer we used a
                          similar method to apply fixes and whatever to over 2000 servers with a
                          command.

                          Ken Mazie

                          _____

                          From: batchworld@yahoogro <mailto:batchworld%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
                          According to the switches indicated by WindowsXP-KB931836-x86-ENU.exe
                          /?,
                          /quiet or /passive should do what you need. I always do this and have
                          never
                          had a problem, but I've only done it on local machines. Since you're
                          sending the command to a remote machine, you might need to use quotes to
                          pass the entire command string including arguments.

                        • Gales, Edwin
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
                            Hi,
                            I usually do this :

                            net use /user:(windows_user_logon account) /persistent:no (mapped network
                            drive e.g \\<IP>) (Logon password)

                            Hope it will help.

                            Edwin

                            _____

                            > I am needing to run an executable on over 300 machines. It requires
                            admin rights to do so. Is
                            > there a way in a batch file to pass the admin user name and password
                            so as to run the
                            > executable in the the form of RUN AS... so I can put it in a login
                            script?

                            OK, I found part of the answer.

                            runas /user:mac\administrator program.exe

                            this still asks for the password. Is there a way to perhaps put that
                            in a text pad and have the prompt read the text to get the password
                            and finish running?

                            ----------------
                            IMPORTANT NOTICE: This message and any attachment may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for its delivery to such person), you may not copy or disseminate this message and any attachment to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and any attachment, and kindly notify us by reply email. We do not assure the security of information electronically transmitted, and your communication with us through such means shall signify your acceptance of such risks. Conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Axis Global Technologies, Inc. shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

                          • sam20martin
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                              h'mmm ... I found the freebie sarun interesting, but ... I'm missing
                              something ... how does sarun hide the admin password if you specify
                              same on the command line; runas /u:domain\admin "cmd"|sarun p@55w0rd
                              ??

                              wrote:

                              > I am needing to run an executable on over 300 machines. It requires
                              admin rights to do so. Is
                              > there a way in a batch file to pass the admin user name and password
                              so as to run the
                              > executable in the the form of RUN AS... so I can put it in a login
                              script?

                            • sam20martin
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                                I meant SANUR of course ... just testing just testing..... <8(