Re: [BATCH WORLD] parse network for list of computer names

  • docfxit
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8 7:02 PM
      --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, "ace_man47" <ace_man47@...> wrote:

      > --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, "G. J. Pareja" <yg382@> wrote:
      > >
      > > At 2006-05-08 12:21 PM -0500, brettchase@ wrote:
      > > >Does anyone know how I can get a batch file to parse a domain in
      > network
      > > >neighborhood and list all the computernames for me into a text file?
      > >
      > > Hi.
      > >
      > > A simple way is to use the "net view" command. The output on my
      > Windows2000
      > > machine is:
      > >
      > > P:\>net view
      > > Server Name Remark

      > > \\A012605
      > > \\A012653_DP DP
      > > \\ATHLON1800
      > > The command completed successfully.
      > >
      > > ==
      > >
      > > Does this help?
      > >
      > > Gerry Pareja (Vancouver, Canada)
      > >

      > I am not sure what you are after. I am facing a similar issue. I have
      > a domain of about 325 computers, however my AD shows 614 machines,
      > becuase old ones were never removed. I have gone into AD and exported
      > a list of machines to a CSV file and then ran that through a ping
      > batch file to see which ones are live and which aren't. This is slow
      > as you will have to run this once a week for several weeks to be sure
      > you don't delete active computers. Then I go in, disable the computers
      > I think are dead and after another X days, I delete the computer from
      > AD. Once I have it back under control, it will be a piece of cake, but
      > I inherited this problem. Se la Vi.

      There is a few programs that will help you see what machines are
      active. One free one is at http://www.kaboodle.org/
      When you run a scan it (which will take a long time) will show you all
      machines with a mac address on the lan. It remembers the machines it
      finds between scans. So if you run it today and it finds 300 machines
      and you run it tomorrow it will add any new mac addresses it finds.
      The ones it found previously will still be there wether they are
      active when you run it tomorrow or not. There is another one at
      http://www.networkview.com/
      Which seems a little more professional. It does cost money. And
      looks a little nicer. It remembers all the mac addresses just like the
      other one.

      Docfxit
    • Brett Chase
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8 7:14 PM
        Thanks! Your earlier post was helpful, and I'll check this one out too.

        _____

        > > >Does anyone know how I can get a batch file to parse a domain in
        > network
        > > >neighborhood and list all the computernames for me into a text file?
        > >
        > > Hi.
        > >
        > > A simple way is to use the "net view" command. The output on my
        > Windows2000
        > > machine is:
        > >
        > > P:\>net view
        > > Server Name Remark

        > > \\A012605
        > > \\A012653_DP DP
        > > \\ATHLON1800
        > > The command completed successfully.
        > >
        > > ==
        > >
        > > Does this help?
        > >
        > > Gerry Pareja (Vancouver, Canada)
        > >

        > I am not sure what you are after. I am facing a similar issue. I have
        > a domain of about 325 computers, however my AD shows 614 machines,
        > becuase old ones were never removed. I have gone into AD and exported
        > a list of machines to a CSV file and then ran that through a ping
        > batch file to see which ones are live and which aren't. This is slow
        > as you will have to run this once a week for several weeks to be sure
        > you don't delete active computers. Then I go in, disable the computers
        > I think are dead and after another X days, I delete the computer from
        > AD. Once I have it back under control, it will be a piece of cake, but
        > I inherited this problem. Se la Vi.

        There is a few programs that will help you see what machines are
        active. One free one is at http://www.kaboodle.org/
        When you run a scan it (which will take a long time) will show you all
        machines with a mac address on the lan. It remembers the machines it
        finds between scans. So if you run it today and it finds 300 machines
        and you run it tomorrow it will add any new mac addresses it finds.
        The ones it found previously will still be there wether they are
        active when you run it tomorrow or not. There is another one at
        http://www.networkview.com/
        Which seems a little more professional. It does cost money. And
        looks a little nicer. It remembers all the mac addresses just like the
        other one.

        Docfxit

        Xp
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xp+2000&w1=Xp+2000&c=1&s=13&.sig=vy5jHF