RE: [BATCH WORLD] Win 98 ME Shutdown - HELP

  • Richard Rogers
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 9, 2001
      first off theres no windows 98 me theres a windows 98 se and second theres
      no windows 2000me there is a 2000 pro and server and advance server and data
      center but no 2000me there is however a windows millenium (me) ok byby now

      On Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:09:58 +0200, batchworld@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Then it still has the cheek to tell you that YOU should power it down
      > properly!
      >
      > Was that 98SE or 2000ME - second case is bad news anyway!
      >
      > Erich
      >
      > What is BeOS???

      Send a cool gift with your E-Card
      http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
    • Thomas Huff
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 10, 2001
        I"M SORRY JOHN BUT YOU ARE DEAD WRONG! RICHARD IS RIGHT! HERE IS A LIST OF
        MICROSOFT'S OPERATING SYSTEMS:

        MS-DOS v6.22
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS 95
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS 95a
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS 95b
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS 95c
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98se (Second Edition)
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS ME (Millennium Edition)

        MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT 3.51
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT 4.0 WORKSTATION
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT 4.0 SERVER
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT 4.0 TERMINAL SERVER
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 SERVER
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 ADVANCED SERVER
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 DATA CENTER SERVER
        MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 TERMINAL SERVER

        BY THE WAY, IF YOU ARE CURIOUS OF MY CREDENTIALS, I BETA TEST FOR MICROSOFT
        OPERATING SYSTEMS.
        JUST WANT TO EDUCATE AND CORRECT THOSE OF YOU OUT THERE WHO ARE NEW AND
        LEARNING SO THAT YOU DON'T INSULT YOUSELVES WITH IGNORANCE WHEN YOU MAKE A
        POST.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 10, 2001
          Hi Thomas,

          Thanks. Yes, I am dead wrong. So the Windows 98 ME or what I thought is
          Windows 98 ME is in fact Windows ME, ie., I should have not quoted the "98",
          and this is what I have as my MS OS -- MS Windows ME. But this still does
          not solve my problem I am having with shutting down with my ATX box.

          Could you please help me by telling me what to do?

          Best Regards

          John Ross
          jvross@...

          > I"M SORRY JOHN BUT YOU ARE DEAD WRONG! RICHARD IS RIGHT! HERE IS A LIST
          OF
          > MICROSOFT'S OPERATING SYSTEMS:
          >
          > MS-DOS v6.22
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS 95
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS 95a
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS 95b
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS 95c
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98se (Second Edition)
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS ME (Millennium Edition)
          >
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT 3.51
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT 4.0 WORKSTATION
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT 4.0 SERVER
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT 4.0 TERMINAL SERVER
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 SERVER
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 ADVANCED SERVER
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 DATA CENTER SERVER
          > MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 TERMINAL SERVER
          >
          > BY THE WAY, IF YOU ARE CURIOUS OF MY CREDENTIALS, I BETA TEST FOR
          MICROSOFT
          > OPERATING SYSTEMS.
          > JUST WANT TO EDUCATE AND CORRECT THOSE OF YOU OUT THERE WHO ARE NEW AND
          > LEARNING SO THAT YOU DON'T INSULT YOUSELVES WITH IGNORANCE WHEN YOU MAKE A
          > POST.

        • Lamar Morris
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 10, 2001
            This is a well known problem and I believe that Microsoft has a fix for the
            shutdown problem. I would go to their knowledge base and look it up. Pardon
            me if I'm wrong but I really haven't messed with Win 98 (any flavor) since I
            beta tested it for MS.

            The actual article, if this link doesn't work, then go to second link and
            type in shutdown patch.

            http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/psssearch.asp?SPR=w98&T=B&KT=ALL&T1=7
            d&LQ=shutdown+patch&PQ=PastQuery&S=F&A=T&DU=C&FR=0&D=winmil%2Bor%2Bwin98x%2B
            or%2Bierelease%2Bor%2Bcustserv%2Bor%2Bcrossnet&LPR=%22windows+98%22&LNG=ENG&
            VR=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.microsoft.com%2Fsupport%3Bhttp%3A%2F%2Fsupport.micro
            soft.com%2Fservicedesks%2Fwebcasts%3Bhttp%3A%2F%2Fsupport.microsoft.com%2Fhi
            ghlights&CAT=Support&VRL=ENG&SA=GN

            http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?DU=C&FR=0

            Lamar

          • ataveira@dover-nj.org
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 11, 2001
              Hi John, I would first try to run the M$ fix for the known shutdown problem,but even that's been known not to work:(
              You can also delete the 'Logos.sys' file(shut down screen)
              & remove the sound associated to 'Exit Windows' in Control Panel.

              Good luck

              > From: "John Ross" <jvross@...>
              > Date: 2001/03/11 Sun AM 01:15:33 EST
              > To: <batchworld@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: Re: [BATCH WORLD] Win 98 ME Shutdown - HELP
              >
              > Hi Thomas,
              >
              > Thanks. Yes, I am dead wrong. So the Windows 98 ME or what I thought is
              > Windows 98 ME is in fact Windows ME, ie., I should have not quoted the "98",
              > and this is what I have as my MS OS -- MS Windows ME. But this still does
              > not solve my problem I am having with shutting down with my ATX box.
              >
              > Could you please help me by telling me what to do?
              >
              > Best Regards
              >
              > John Ross
              > jvross@...

              Amandio Taveira, MCP,MCSE
              Dover School Dist.
              100 Grace St.
              Dover, NJ 07801
              (973)989-6271
            • Thomas Huff
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 11, 2001
                John,

                The shutdown patch that everyone speaks to you of, only dealt with Windows
                98 original release. Windows 98se did not have the problem. 99.9999999% of
                the time, when Windows (any version) refuses to shut down and hangs on the
                Windows is shutting down screen is due to one thing. When Windows shuts
                down, it first shuts down all running programs. If when shutting down one
                of these running programs, the program stops responding, well this causes
                Windows to hang on the Windows is shutting down screen. Now most people
                will think that if they have no programs open, that nothing is running.
                This however is not true. In the lower right-hand corner of your screen
                next to the clock, if you see little icons there then programs are running
                even though there were not in the Startup folder off of the programs menu.
                These programs which are there at startup are keyed from the registry. Here
                is the best way to troubleshoot which program prevents you from shutting
                down. Before shutting down, do ctrl+alt+del which opens the Close Program
                box. Choose to ENDTASK on everything in that box, except for Explorer and
                Systray. When you are done, these should be the only two left. Now close
                the Close Program box and go to the start button and shutdown your computer
                normally. I think that you will see it shuts down without a problem. This
                tells you that Windows is having a problem closing one of the programs that
                are running. No it is just simple deductive logic. Go back and repeat
                these steps, except this time leave one other program running. Then
                shutdown again. Do this until Windows does not shutdown. Then you have
                found the program with the problem. From this point you can take steps to
                correct that program. I hope this helps you, it has worked for this
                particular problem for all my associates who have run into it, even for
                myself. I just happen to know the registry well enough that once the
                program was identified I could correct the problem.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 11, 2001
                  If it was the original version only why does the Microsoft site have this
                  patch available.
                  Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement.
                  CAUSE
                  This problem can occur because:
                  The computer could hang at the shutdown screen intermittently, because the
                  Apmbatt.sys component is not responding to the system shutdown notification
                  from the operating system and could enter an endless loop.
                  -or-
                  The computer could hang with a black screen because of the method in which
                  IRQ holders for the video adapter are configured at boot time and disabled
                  during shutdown by the Pci.vxd component.
                  -or-
                  The fast shutdown option modified by Msconfig.exe contains a code path in
                  which the computer could reboot instead of properly shutting down or
                  quitting to MS-DOS.
                  NOTE: The Shutdown Supplement was updated 11/99 to address a newly
                  discovered issue that allowed continued shutdown failures on some Windows
                  installations. Due to the added functionality in the update, it may appear
                  on Windows Update as not installed, even if the original version of the
                  Supplement was previously installed.
                  See also Q250635,

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 11, 2001
                    As for the problems listed below Lamar, the first two are resolved by having
                    an up to date Bios. Those issues could exist with an outdated Bios. As for
                    the MSCONFIG issue, fast shutdown and the option to enable/disable fast
                    shutdown does not even exist in Windows 98se.