Search and replace

  • whitedg@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
      Does anyone know of a dos program that will do search and replace in
      a text file?

      I want to write a file batch file that will prompt the user for input
      then go into a sample unattend.txt file and replace some variables.

      %1 etc does work in this instance but, I wish to make the interface
      more intuitive. Like: " Enter Computer Name -"
      " Enter Domain Name -"

      Thanks,

      Dan
    • James Zagorski
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
        CHANGE.COM

        Works for small files (under 30k)

        SNR.EXE

        Works for files of any size

        If you can't find them, I can email them to you.

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • whitedg@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2001
          Thanks for the help James. I have searched and cannot find these
          utilities. Would you happen to know where to get them?

          Thanks again,

          Dan

        • hopeful23455@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 28, 2001
            Hi. I have a similar question. I'm using a batch file to find
            all .java files starting at a given directory and pipe all of them
            and any in subdirectories into a txt file, which will be renamed to
            a batch file itself. It works perfectly, as it creates a text file
            containing every .java file and it's path. The problem is, I need to
            be able to insert "javac " before each and every path and filename.
            I did this easily in a text editor using search and replace, but I
            need to be able to do it automatically and not manually. Will the
            utilities you referenced help in this situation? If so, can you tell
            me where I can get them?

            thanks!

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 29, 2001
              Try using sed:

              GNU sed v3.02.80, compiled for 32-bit MS-DOS/Windows
              http://www.student.northpark.edu/pemente/sed/sed3028a.zip

              explanations and FAQ's here

              http://www.student.northpark.edu/pemente/sed/

              This will prepend "javec " to every line in filename.txt and write the output
              into filename.bat

              sed 's/^/javec /' FILENAME.TXT>FILENAME.BAT

              Michael

              On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 02:17:23 -0000, hopeful23455@... wrote:

              >Hi. I have a similar question. I'm using a batch file to find
              >all .java files starting at a given directory and pipe all of them
              >and any in subdirectories into a txt file, which will be renamed to
              >a batch file itself. It works perfectly, as it creates a text file
              >containing every .java file and it's path. The problem is, I need to
              >be able to insert "javac " before each and every path and filename.
              >I did this easily in a text editor using search and replace, but I
              >need to be able to do it automatically and not manually. Will the
              >utilities you referenced help in this situation? If so, can you tell
              >me where I can get them?
              >
              >thanks!
              >--- In batchworld@y..., James Zagorski <zgreatwhite@y...> wrote:
              >> CHANGE.COM
              >>
              >> Works for small files (under 30k)
              >>
              >> SNR.EXE
              >>
              >> Works for files of any size
              >>
              >> If you can't find them, I can email them to you.
              >> --- whitedg@h... wrote:
              >> > Does anyone know of a dos program that will do search and
              >replace in
              >> > a text file?
              >> >
              >> > I want to write a file batch file that will prompt the user for
              >input
              >> > then go into a sample unattend.txt file and replace some
              >variables.
              >> >
              >> > %1 etc does work in this instance but, I wish to make the
              >interface
              >> > more intuitive. Like: " Enter Computer Name -"
              >> > " Enter Domain Name -"
              >> >

              >> > Thanks,
              >> >
              >> > Dan

            • johnson summer
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 29, 2001
                thank you very much!!!!!!!

                --- Michael Marquart <micm@...> wrote:

                > Try using sed:
                >
                > GNU sed v3.02.80, compiled for 32-bit MS-DOS/Windows

                http://www.student.northpark.edu/pemente/sed/sed3028a.zip

                > explanations and FAQ's here
                >
                > http://www.student.northpark.edu/pemente/sed/
                >

                > This will prepend "javec " to every line in
                > filename.txt and write the output
                > into filename.bat
                >
                > sed 's/^/javec /' FILENAME.TXT>FILENAME.BAT
                >

                > Michael
                >
                > On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 02:17:23 -0000,
                > hopeful23455@... wrote:
                >
                > >Hi. I have a similar question. I'm using a batch
                > file to find
                > >all .java files starting at a given directory and
                > pipe all of them
                > >and any in subdirectories into a txt file, which
                > will be renamed to
                > >a batch file itself. It works perfectly, as it
                > creates a text file
                > >containing every .java file and it's path. The
                > problem is, I need to
                > >be able to insert "javac " before each and every
                > path and filename.
                > >I did this easily in a text editor using search and
                > replace, but I
                > >need to be able to do it automatically and not
                > manually. Will the
                > >utilities you referenced help in this situation? If
                > so, can you tell
                > >me where I can get them?
                > >
                > >thanks!
                > >--- In batchworld@y..., James Zagorski
                > <zgreatwhite@y...> wrote:
                > >> CHANGE.COM
                > >>
                > >> Works for small files (under 30k)
                > >>
                > >> SNR.EXE
                > >>
                > >> Works for files of any size
                > >>
                > >> If you can't find them, I can email them to you.
                > search and
                > >replace in

                > prompt the user for
                > >input
                > replace some
                > >variables.

                > to make the
                > >interface

                > >> Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail.
                > >> http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

                > batchworld@...

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                http://phone.yahoo.com
              • Gittler, Evan K.
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
                  I use GSAR (global search and replace). You can get it from here
                  http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ although there are tons of places you can
                  get it from if you search yahoo.