Re: [BATCH WORLD] Re: ntbackup.exe from MicroSoft

  • Mic
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
      On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:25:27 -0500, Ian Q wrote:

      > That's all right.
      >
      > Yup, means you have to use ntbackup from Windows to set the bks file.
      >
      > You select the drives/folders/files you want to backup, then un-check
      > any you don't want backed up.
      >
      > Then, from the Job menu on top, select Save Selections As, and then save
      > with whatever name and wherever you want to save it. It appends the .bks
      > extension on to the file, and that file denotes what to back up and what
      > to exclude.
      >
      > Try to create the file using a text editor, see if it works. I am pretty
      > sure when I tried that, it wouldn't work.

      It might have been that the editor saved in unicode, and the ntbackup
      program doesn't understand unicode - or vice versa.
      View the bks file in a hex editor and see if every second byte is a hex 00.

      Mic
    • Derek Byrne
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
        Hi Mic,
        Noticed that when I tried to create a .bks file from notepad - it only
        saves it as ANSI.

        Opening up the .bks from ntbackup in notepad it reads fine, but when you
        go to save it, it comes up as unicode.

        Unfortunately, when I tried to save a list as a .bks and open in ntbackup
        it said it was an invalid file.

        Derek

        Meteor web site http://www.meteor.ie