RE: [BATCH WORLD] batch file to unhide d drive in 2k3 enterprise server

  • kcmjr@quasatron.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
      In general, it is possible to flag any (windows) readable partition as
      "hidden" before the operating system is functional. This results in just
      what it sounds like, a hidden partition. This is one way to hide
      "sensitive" data if you feel the need to do such things. Most users will
      not know to examine the partition table to look for extra partitions but
      it's a common first step in a forensic analysis of a PC. You can use a
      tool like Partition Magic to examine the system and see what's not being
      shown in the OS. I recently did some partition reconfiguration on one of
      my systems. After restarting Windows I "lost" an entire drive. It was
      just gone. I suspected that the partition might still exist and used
      Partition Magic to reset the partition to a viewable state. After
      rebooting the entire drive was back. I never did find out what caused the
      bit to flip and hide the partition. Partition Magic also has a command
      line mode but it's hard to use. You can also use something Like Ranish
      Partition Manager or Gdisk but they must be used outside of Windows. I'm
      sure that you could build a boot disk that will just reset all partitions
      to non-hidden. That wouldn't affect the data, just the viewability of the
      partition within Windows.

      Hope that helps.

      Ken Mazie

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
        --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, kcmjr@q... wrote:
        > In general, it is possible to flag any (windows) readable partition as
        I tried rebooting the Os, but the D drive is still hidden. installing
        partition magic on target Os will not work for me because the end
        state of the OS needs to be in a clean state -- meaning no 3rd party
        products are installed except for the OS itself.
        I checked the registry key in the HKLM/System/Mounted devices and
        actaully see the D:\ drive entries there and the corresponding volume
        entr for it (i search for the one with the same registry value for the
        D:\ drive entry). It is really strange!!! Do any one know if there are
        any keys in the registry that will determine if the D:\ drive is
        hidden from the OS?
        Where they store this information in the regsitry?
        Can I just force import a few values to those registry keys and make
        the D:\ drive visisble again?
        Thanks

      • Mic
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
          It would seem that DiskPart is the tool you need - look here for some more
          info (long line)

          http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/dm_manage_command_line.asp

          Mic
        • ed_tsang
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2004
            yes that works. all i did is to create a script.txt, copy it to the
            C:\ then call the diskpart to run through it.
            thanks

            --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, Mic <micm@m...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > one of
            > >> my systems. After restarting Windows I "lost" an entire drive.
            It was
            > >> just gone. I suspected that the partition might still exist and used
            > >> Partition Magic to reset the partition to a viewable state. After
            > >> rebooting the entire drive was back. I never did find out what
            > > caused the
            > >> bit to flip and hide the partition. Partition Magic also has a
            command
            > >> line mode but it's hard to use. You can also use something Like
            Ranish
            > >> Partition Manager or Gdisk but they must be used outside of Windows.
            > > I'm
            > >> sure that you could build a boot disk that will just reset all
            > > partitions
            > >> to non-hidden. That wouldn't affect the data, just the viewability

          • Christian Carlson
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 25, 2004
              Why don't you post your script so everyone can see?

              .:Christian:.

              --- ed_tsang <ed_tsang@...> wrote:

              > yes that works. all i did is to create a script.txt,
              > copy it to the
              > C:\ then call the diskpart to run through it.
              > thanks
              >
              > --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, Mic <micm@m...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > It would seem that DiskPart is the tool you need -
              > look here for
              > some more
              > > info (long line)

              http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/dm_manage_command_line.asp

              > > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 06:57:40 -0000, ed_tsang
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > > --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, kcmjr@q...
              > (windows) readable
              > partition as
              > > > I tried rebooting the Os, but the D drive is
              > still hidden. installing
              > > > partition magic on target Os will not work for
              > me because the end
              > > > state of the OS needs to be in a clean state --
              > meaning no 3rd party
              > > > products are installed except for the OS itself.
              > > > I checked the registry key in the
              > HKLM/System/Mounted devices and
              > > > actaully see the D:\ drive entries there and the
              > corresponding volume
              > > > entr for it (i search for the one with the same
              > registry value for the
              > > > D:\ drive entry). It is really strange!!! Do any
              > one know if there are
              > > > any keys in the registry that will determine if
              > the D:\ drive is
              > > > hidden from the OS?
              > > > Where they store this information in the
              > regsitry?
              > > > Can I just force import a few values to those
              > registry keys and make
              > > > the D:\ drive visisble again?
              > > > Thanks

              > functional. This results in
              > > > just
              > is one way to hide
              > such things. Most users
              > > > will
              > for extra
              > partitions but
              > of a PC. You can
              > use a
              > and see what's
              > not being
              > reconfiguration on
              > > > one of
              > an entire drive.
              > It was
              > might still exist and used
              > viewable state. After
              > did find out what
              > > > caused the
              > Magic also has a
              > command
              > use something Like
              > Ranish
              > used outside of Windows.
              > > > I'm
              > just reset all
              > > > partitions
              > just the viewability
              > > > of the

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • ed_tsang
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 30, 2004
                basically,

                I use a btch to call c:\windows\system32\diskpart.exe /s
                bringDonline.txt

                the bringdonline.txt has the content

                select volume 2
                online
                assign letter=D
                select volume 1
                exit
                copy bringDonline.txt onto C:\ first than call the batch..

                --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, Christian Carlson