Re: [BATCH WORLD] batch file to unhide d drive in 2k3 enterprise server

  • Garry Deane
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
      --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, "ed_tsang" <ed_tsang@y...> wrote:

      > This is what happened. I created an image of 2k3 enterpriser
      > server and then stored that in a central location. When the
      > image of created on the machine, there is D:\ partition on
      > it and is in FAT32. Now, we have racks of machine with the
      > same hardware and with D:\ partition created. But, when that
      > stored image is rolled down to another machine on the rack,
      > the D:\ drive disappears and is invisible. I need to go
      > to Disk Management to bring the drive letter back, all the
      > data in D:\ is intact.
      > So instead of manually to do all these clicking and stuff
      > just to let the D:\ drive visible again, I want a batch sript
      > tp do it for me.
      > Regards

      The drive letter assignments are stored in the registry at
      HKLM\System\Mounted Devices. These assignments are linked
      to the physical disk volume. I'm not sure of the details
      but I think they use the serial number and partition table
      information to identify the volume that belongs to the drive
      letter entry.

      When you transfer the image to a different machine, the disk
      identification details are different. This might be the source
      of the lost drive assignment.

      If a re-boot doesn't sort it out as foxidrive has suggested,
      I'd look at the entries under HKLM\System\Mounted Devices
      both before and after assigning the drive letter through the
      GUI. You should be able to create the entries needed using
      REG to read the data then add a new entry for the d: drive.

      Garry
    • kcmjr@quasatron.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
        In general, it is possible to flag any (windows) readable partition as
        "hidden" before the operating system is functional. This results in just
        what it sounds like, a hidden partition. This is one way to hide
        "sensitive" data if you feel the need to do such things. Most users will
        not know to examine the partition table to look for extra partitions but
        it's a common first step in a forensic analysis of a PC. You can use a
        tool like Partition Magic to examine the system and see what's not being
        shown in the OS. I recently did some partition reconfiguration on one of
        my systems. After restarting Windows I "lost" an entire drive. It was
        just gone. I suspected that the partition might still exist and used
        Partition Magic to reset the partition to a viewable state. After
        rebooting the entire drive was back. I never did find out what caused the
        bit to flip and hide the partition. Partition Magic also has a command
        line mode but it's hard to use. You can also use something Like Ranish
        Partition Manager or Gdisk but they must be used outside of Windows. I'm
        sure that you could build a boot disk that will just reset all partitions
        to non-hidden. That wouldn't affect the data, just the viewability of the
        partition within Windows.

        Hope that helps.

        Ken Mazie

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
          --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, kcmjr@q... wrote:
          > In general, it is possible to flag any (windows) readable partition as
          I tried rebooting the Os, but the D drive is still hidden. installing
          partition magic on target Os will not work for me because the end
          state of the OS needs to be in a clean state -- meaning no 3rd party
          products are installed except for the OS itself.
          I checked the registry key in the HKLM/System/Mounted devices and
          actaully see the D:\ drive entries there and the corresponding volume
          entr for it (i search for the one with the same registry value for the
          D:\ drive entry). It is really strange!!! Do any one know if there are
          any keys in the registry that will determine if the D:\ drive is
          hidden from the OS?
          Where they store this information in the regsitry?
          Can I just force import a few values to those registry keys and make
          the D:\ drive visisble again?
          Thanks

        • Mic
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
            It would seem that DiskPart is the tool you need - look here for some more
            info (long line)

            http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/dm_manage_command_line.asp

            Mic
          • ed_tsang
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 4, 2004
              yes that works. all i did is to create a script.txt, copy it to the
              C:\ then call the diskpart to run through it.
              thanks

              --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, Mic <micm@m...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > one of
              > >> my systems. After restarting Windows I "lost" an entire drive.
              It was
              > >> just gone. I suspected that the partition might still exist and used
              > >> Partition Magic to reset the partition to a viewable state. After
              > >> rebooting the entire drive was back. I never did find out what
              > > caused the
              > >> bit to flip and hide the partition. Partition Magic also has a
              command
              > >> line mode but it's hard to use. You can also use something Like
              Ranish
              > >> Partition Manager or Gdisk but they must be used outside of Windows.
              > > I'm
              > >> sure that you could build a boot disk that will just reset all
              > > partitions
              > >> to non-hidden. That wouldn't affect the data, just the viewability

            • Christian Carlson
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 25, 2004
                Why don't you post your script so everyone can see?

                .:Christian:.

                --- ed_tsang <ed_tsang@...> wrote:

                > yes that works. all i did is to create a script.txt,
                > copy it to the
                > C:\ then call the diskpart to run through it.
                > thanks
                >
                > --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, Mic <micm@m...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > It would seem that DiskPart is the tool you need -
                > look here for
                > some more
                > > info (long line)

                http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/dm_manage_command_line.asp

                > > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 06:57:40 -0000, ed_tsang
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > > --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, kcmjr@q...
                > (windows) readable
                > partition as
                > > > I tried rebooting the Os, but the D drive is
                > still hidden. installing
                > > > partition magic on target Os will not work for
                > me because the end
                > > > state of the OS needs to be in a clean state --
                > meaning no 3rd party
                > > > products are installed except for the OS itself.
                > > > I checked the registry key in the
                > HKLM/System/Mounted devices and
                > > > actaully see the D:\ drive entries there and the
                > corresponding volume
                > > > entr for it (i search for the one with the same
                > registry value for the
                > > > D:\ drive entry). It is really strange!!! Do any
                > one know if there are
                > > > any keys in the registry that will determine if
                > the D:\ drive is
                > > > hidden from the OS?
                > > > Where they store this information in the
                > regsitry?
                > > > Can I just force import a few values to those
                > registry keys and make
                > > > the D:\ drive visisble again?
                > > > Thanks

                > functional. This results in
                > > > just
                > is one way to hide
                > such things. Most users
                > > > will
                > for extra
                > partitions but
                > of a PC. You can
                > use a
                > and see what's
                > not being
                > reconfiguration on
                > > > one of
                > an entire drive.
                > It was
                > might still exist and used
                > viewable state. After
                > did find out what
                > > > caused the
                > Magic also has a
                > command
                > use something Like
                > Ranish
                > used outside of Windows.
                > > > I'm
                > just reset all
                > > > partitions
                > just the viewability
                > > > of the

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • ed_tsang
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 30, 2004
                  basically,

                  I use a btch to call c:\windows\system32\diskpart.exe /s
                  bringDonline.txt

                  the bringdonline.txt has the content

                  select volume 2
                  online
                  assign letter=D
                  select volume 1
                  exit
                  copy bringDonline.txt onto C:\ first than call the batch..

                  --- In batchworld@yahoogroups.com, Christian Carlson