Re: [BATCH WORLD] Help with creating a Batch File

  • Stewart Buckingham
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2004
      Originally to: Mr. Stacey

      Hi Mr. Stacey,

      >> How are you going to update these machines with a >basic/batch/rexx
      >> solution?

      > All of our machines have Qbasic in the OS2\MDOS directory. So If I can just
      > relearn Qbasic then maybe I can come up with something.I at least have a
      > definite direction to take.

      OK. Understand that. But how are you going to get your basic program onto those machines? Network? Floppy? I understand when you say that to update your machines with a utility or two is going to be a problem. But I see it as a problem anyway, whichever course of action you decide upon. So, Michael's solution would work for you if are prepared to use 1 or 2 extra utilities, if you choose a bat/cmd file method. I could help you there by making suggestions, or you could research yourself on http://hobbes.nmsu.edu

      I don't know what your time-frame is like for this, but if speed is of the escence, then you probably already have a solution at hand with Michael's batch file. If speed is of no importance then relearning Basic or learning Rexx are also possibilities.

      All, I'm saying really, is that you are going to face the same problem getting either a) A bat.cmd file plus 1/2 utils, b) A basic program, c) A Rexx script, onto those 20,000 computers.

      Stu/2
    • Stewart Buckingham
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 1, 2004
        Originally to: Mr. Stacey

        Hi Mr. Stacey,

        >> Here's a Qbasic solution that is lanuched with a batch >file.
        >> It can be tackled many ways, but I simply converted the >earlier batch
        >> solution. Watch for line wrapping.

        > Works Great! Thank you!

        Great.

        > Do you think I should post this solution on newsgroups as the soluyion to my
        > original question?

        Well definitely to those newsgroups where you have posed the question, and it is
        a solution to your original question.

        I'd still be intrigued to know how you get it on those 20,000 machines though.
        It's peaked my interest :)

        Stu/2
      • Mr. Stacey
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 1, 2004
          Stu/2,

          >So, Michael's solution would work for you if are prepared >to use 1 or 2
          extra utilities, if you choose a bat/cmd >file method. I could help you
          there by making >suggestions, or you could research yourself on
          >http://hobbes.nmsu.edu

          To get these new files installed on all of our machines will not be that
          hard, especially since they are so small. We are connected to each of these
          PC's by modem. In other words we send and retrieve files from all of our PC
          s daily, so we could just send these files down to the PC.The trouble will
          be getting the people that write our software to approve it.

          If there is a way to create a CMD job that would do this would be even
          better and easier for the techs who will eventfully be the ones using this
          to make their jobs easier.

          >I don't know what your time-frame is like for this, but >if speed is of the
          escence, then you probably already >have a solution at hand with Michael's
          batch file. If >speed is of no importance then relearning Basic or >learning
          Rexx are also possibilities.

          Time is not an issue.

          Way Off Topic...I notice you have experience with OS/2, do you know of a way
          to load USB drivers to use a USB Flash Drive ? I found a way to use a DOS
          boot disk to load the drivers but that would require a reboot of our PC. I
          would really like to find a way to load the drivers on startup and then be
          able to plug the device in and use it and then unplug it, without having to
          reboot the PC.

          >Stu/2

          Thanks,

          Stacey

        • Stewart Buckingham
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 1, 2004
            Originally to: Mr. Stacey

            Hi Mr. Stacey,

            > To get these new files installed on all of our machines will not be that
            > hard, especially since they are so small. We are connected to each of these
            > PC's by modem. In other words we send and retrieve files from all of our PC
            > s daily, so we could just send these files down to the PC.The trouble will
            > be getting the people that write our software to approve it.

            OK. Got it now. Thanks.

            > If there is a way to create a CMD job that would do this would be even
            > better and easier for the techs who will eventfully be the ones using this
            > to make their jobs easier.

            Well, if you've got someone over there who knows Rexx it should be a piece of
            cake (just like it appears to have been in QBasic).

            >> I don't know what your time-frame is like for this, but >if speed is of the
            > escence, then you probably already >have a solution at hand with Michael's
            > batch file. If >speed is of no importance then relearning Basic or >learning
            > Rexx are also possibilities.

            > Time is not an issue.

            Ok. That's good. Usually it is :)

            > Way Off Topic...I notice you have experience with OS/2, do you know of a way
            > to load USB drivers to use a USB Flash Drive ? I found a way to use a DOS
            > boot disk to load the drivers but that would require a reboot of our PC. I
            > would really like to find a way to load the drivers on startup and then be
            > able to plug the device in and use it and then unplug it, without having to
            > reboot the PC.

            Sorry but can't help you with USB. I'm sure if you posted this question in the
            YahooGroups.OS2Users group, you'd get a lot more success though.

            But my general thoughts on your question would be that you should be loading the
            USB generic drivers as well as the USB hardware specific drivers from your
            config.sys file upon boot. You shouldn't be using DOS at all, not even OS/2's
            Command Line Interface. I'm not sure about the plug/unplug thingy. As I
            understand it, you need to be sure the USB hardware device you want to plug in,
            has OS/2 driver support. You might try the following URL for an answer to that
            question: http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=usbsite

            HTH

            Stu/2
          • Mr. Stacey
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 2, 2004
              >Well, if you've got someone over there who knows Rexx it >should be a piece
              of
              >cake (just like it appears to have been in QBasic).

              Would it be hard to learn Rexx? I'd like to create the file. If I wait for
              the programmers to have time to do it it could take years.If I can create it
              and submitt it, I might just be able to get it approved.

              >YahooGroups.OS2Users group, you'd get a lot more success >though.

              I couldn't find this group on Yahoo?

              >You might try the following URL for an answer to that
              >question: http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=usbsite

              Thanks!

              Stacey

            • Stewart Buckingham
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 2, 2004
                Originally to: Mr. Stacey

                Hi Mr. Stacey,

                >> Well, if you've got someone over there who knows Rexx it should be a piece
                >> of cake (just like it appears to have been in QBasic).

                > Would it be hard to learn Rexx? I'd like to create the file. If I wait for
                > the programmers to have time to do it it could take years.If I can create it
                > and submitt it, I might just be able to get it approved.

                Rexx is a scripting language. It shouldn't be too hard to pick up the basics
                enough to do what you want to do. I've had some experience using bat/cmd files
                but I'm not a programmer, and with some examples, I am able to write a few very
                simple Rexx scripts to replace some of my batch files. I wouldn't say I 'know'
                Rexx scripting though :(

                It's been a while since I used Warp3 but if I recall corectly, there is a manual
                on your boot drive (in Warp4 it's in x:\os2\book\REXX.INF). There is also quite
                a good 'semi-tutorial' called 'Rexx Tips n Tricks' on the Hobbes archive
                http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/dev/rexx/rxtt35.zip, which gives lots of tips and
                examples.

                You could possibly submit the QBASIC progam to your programmers, and whilst
                waiting for the approval for that, have a go at re-writing it in Rexx (if that
                would be easier to get approval, being a native OS/2 .cmd file).

                >> YahooGroups.OS2Users group, you'd get a lot more success >though.

                > I couldn't find this group on Yahoo?

                Oops. No 's'. OS2USER is the name of the group. Subscription is probably
                identical to how you subscribed to this group (with just the name change, of
                course).

                >> You might try the following URL for an answer to that
                >> question: http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=usbsite

                > Thanks!

                You're welcome.

                Stu/2