RE: [BATCH WORLD] Appending to EOL

  • kcmjr@onemain.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
      I think it's taking the quote as part of the command rather than a
      character. I recall reading something about if you want to echo a quote
      you need a special character in front of it so the command processor
      doesn't think it's part of the command. I'll dig around and see if I can
      find the proper syntax. Also, don't you want quotes at the front and
      back? Seems odd to just end the line with a quote.

      Ken Mazie

      "Morris, Lamar" <LamarMorris@...>
      01/12/2004 02:09 PM
      Please respond to batchworld

      To: "'batchworld@yahoogroups.com'" <batchworld@yahoogroups.com>
      cc:
      Subject: RE: [BATCH WORLD] Appending to EOL

      Ken, I've tried it on both win2k and nt4 and the results are identical.
      I'm
      sure it's something I'm doing.

      The script immediately returns to the cmd prompt and no file is written
      nor
      are there errors shown.

      I've confirmed that the script doesn't like what I'm trying to write " I
      changed the text to xxx and it worked as you specified, any ideas on how

      To make it write the"

      The files that I need to delete are on a NetApps box on a unix / nt cifs
      share, so I'm having to do it from the NT side.

      This is what I'm using.

      FOR /F "tokens=1* delims=" %%A IN (delme.txt) DO (echo %%A ")>>new2.txt

      This is what I'm doing it to.

      L:\pde\web\htdocs\swr\CRT3059814\removed_data\SIMS FullDownloader.zip.exe
      L:\pde\web\_private\MoviezChannelsInstaler.exe
      L:\pde\web\_vti_cnf\How To Hack Websites.exe
      L:\pde\web\_vti_pvt\MSN Password Hacker and Stealer.exe
      L:\pde\web\cgi-bin\_vti_cnf\How To Hack Websites.exe

      Your help is always much appreciated.

      Lamar

    • Morris, Lamar
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
        Thanks for your help, I'm inserting del " at the beginning using ultraedit
        in column / insert mode.

        Lamar

        To: "'batchworld@yahoogroups.com'" <batchworld@yahoogroups.com>
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cij4dm8/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroup
        web/S=1707208579:HM/EXP=1074033518/A=1853618/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.com/Defa
        ult?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=323380435>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • kcmjr@onemain.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
          Here's what I found:

          You can put a carat ^ before the quote to force it to be treated as text.
          Like this.....
          FOR /F "tokens=1* delims=" %%A IN (.\new1.txt) DO (echo %%A ^")>>new2.txt

          Hope that fixes it.

          To: "'batchworld@yahoogroups.com'" <batchworld@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
            Works great.

            Thanks.

            Lamar

            To: batchworld@yahoogroups.com
            cc:

            Let me explain a little further I need to add " at the end of each line.

            Michael's script does this.

            c:\TMP\4>sed 's/.*/ & "/' delme.txt>delme1.txt

            c:/tmp/4/sed.exe: -e expression #1, char 5: Unterminated `s' command

            '"/' delme.txt>delme1.txt' is not recognized as an internal or external
            command,

            operable program or batch file.

            Ken your's gives not error or output.

            Lamar

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> >
            Service.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
              On stardate Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:04:11 -0800, while visiting Deep Space 9,
              the changeling Founder kcmjr@... spake thusly:

              > Here's what I found:
              >
              > You can put a carat ^ before the quote to force it to be treated as text.
              > Like this.....
              > FOR /F "tokens=1* delims=" %%A IN (.\new1.txt) DO (echo %%A ^")>>new2.txt
              >
              > Hope that fixes it.
              >
              > Ken Mazie

              That'll work, if there are no "special" characters within the text, and you
              don't want to preserve blank lines.

              > Let me explain a little further I need to add " at the end of each line.

              It needs quotes converted to a Hexidecimal representation, and that & needs
              to be escaped for NT.

              sed 's/.*/^&\x22/' delme.txt>delme1.txt

              If I understand it, the whole job could be done with

              sed 's/.*/del \x22^&\x22/' delme.txt>delme1.txt

            • Morris, Lamar
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 13, 2004
                Thanks Michael, this did just what I needed, it put the del " at the front
                of the line and " at the end of the line. This save me an extra step.

                Lamar

                _____