registry issue solved

  • Gord Braun
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29 12:08 AM
      Hi batchers. This is a copy of a letter I sent to the PC Workers list re.
      the solution to my bloated registry problem. The info might be useful to
      some of you.

      Hi folks. A very nice person named Veronica McCartin from Australia sent me
      info on cleaning up the registry. It's summed up in few regedit switches in
      a batch file called SHOPVAC.BAT which is discussed at this url:

      http://www.pcmech.com/shopvac.htm

      Here's the file itself: (You might have to adjust it to reflect your own
      Windows install directory.)

      SHOPVAC.BAT

      rem {begin code}

      cd\windows
      smartdrv
      attrib -h -r -s *.dat
      regedit /l:c:\windows\system.dat /e c:\system.txt
      regedit /r:c:\windows\user.dat /e c:\user.txt
      ren system.dat *.dbt
      ren user.dat *.dbt
      regedit /l:c:\windows\system.dat /c c:\system.txt
      regedit /r:c:\windows\user.dat /c c:\user.txt

      I would also like to reproduce part of a letter I sent Veronica after I used
      the batch file on my registry files:

      " Veronica, thank you SO MUCH for shopvac.bat!! :) :) It did exactly as I'd
      hoped.. with two minor hiccups When I ran the file in DOS mode, regedit
      told me of an error processing the .dat files, and said that the reason for
      this was that the registry files might be incomplete. Still, it went ahead
      and did its job.
      Then, when I restarted W95 in normal mode, Windows gave a message that it
      had detected new hardware and later asked if I wanted to restart Windows.
      On restarting, it gave the message once more and then went on to the Desktop
      as normal.

      Other than these, no real problems. I did rerun Easy Cleaner afterwards,
      which found 8 broken keys.. which I removed.

      <snip>

      ... ... I was going to show you the before and after picture but I deleted
      the old registry files in haste, including the .dbt files. :( I *can* tell
      you that SYSTEM.DAT was almost twice as large before I applied your batch
      file, and USER.DAT was maybe three times larger before applying SHOPVAC.BAT.
      But here are the after numbers anyway:

      USER DAT 127,008 bytes
      SYSTEM DAT 1,454,112 bytes

      No longer registry challenged. ... "

      All seems to be ok with my system. I wasn't enough on the ball to catch
      what sort of hardware W95 was trying to rededect after the registry cleanup.
      But it doesn't seem to matter in my case.

      I would like to give the usual caution to back up your .dat files before
      trying this technique. SHOPVAC.BAT *does* make registry backups of its own
      but I chose to back them up on my own.. just to be absolutely safe. And..
      if you want to see the before-n-after numbers, don't be like me and delete
      the old files too soon. :()

      Gord

      ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
      Gord Braun
      gbraun@...
      http://www.accesscomm.ca/users/gbraun/
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30 7:32 AM
        On Sat, 29 Apr 2000 01:08:59 -0600
        Subject: [BATCH WORLD] registry issue solved
        Gord Braun <gbraun@...> wrote:

        Here is how I think the batch should work:
        the way it was written was inefficient at least,
        (I suspect it did everything twice)

        This caters for any install of Win 95/98, but is only
        tested with Win98SE.

        The results are shown below, with the *.001 being the
        "before" files.

        My system is pretty lean, and I don't install/uninstall a lot of
        games or utilities, which could account for the small savings in
        filesize.

        USER 001 989,464
        USER DAT 909,344

        SYSTEM 001 3,882,284
        SYSTEM DAT 3,620,896

        I suspect that all the process does is rebuild the registry,
        and packs it in the process, for more efficient access.

        It did *not* find any "new" hardware when I rebooted, and simply
        booted normally.

        I called it Compact.bat

        ::============================================================================
        @echo off
        :: packs registry database - tested with Win 98SE
        :: Execute after rebooting into MSDOS
        :: (hold control while booting to get menu and select Command Prompt Only)
        ::
        smartdrv
        echo Exporting registry - please wait
        regedit /e c:\registry.txt
        attrib -h -r -s %winbootdir%\system.dat
        attrib -h -r -s %winbootdir%\user.dat
        if exist %winbootdir%\system.001 del %winbootdir%\system.001
        if exist %winbootdir%\user.001 del %winbootdir%\user.001
        ren %winbootdir%\system.dat system.001
        ren %winbootdir%\user.dat user.001
        echo Rebuilding registry - please wait
        regedit /l:%winbootdir%\system.dat /r:%winbootdir%\user.dat /c c:\registry.txt
        echo Done! Old registry backed up to %winbootdir% in system.001 & user.001

        Owner Onus applies.

        Regards
        Mic