Add loal uses

  • Howard, Nick
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
      All

      I recently asked about adding a local user from the command line. I need
      to add two users, one just a user and the other to be an admin. The OS
      is win2k SP4.

      Here's what I have so far:-

      -------

      net user student password /add /passwordchg:no /comment:"local account
      for students"

      net user physadmin different-password /add /passwordchg:no
      /comment:"admin account for staff"

      net localgroup administrators physadmin /add

      -------

      ...which is fine. All I need to do now is (via the command line) set
      both accounts to 'password never expires'.

      Any ideas?

      TIA

      Nick

    • Sam Wallace
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
        Hi Nick,

        It was rather... interesting trying to look up the syntax of the NET
        USER command as the Windows Help function has all the other NET
        commands indexed, but not this one. I ended up going into the Windows
        2000 Command Reference Main Page and found it there. It does not
        allow you to do what you want for this one thing. Something else that
        is worth knowing on the topic is the AddUsers command from the
        Windows 2000 Resource Kit. It is not quite what you need, but you
        ought to be aware of it.

        Finally, I found CusrMgr, also from the Resource Kit. It looks like
        it will do exactly what you need done. Note that some of the syntax
        is case-sensitive. Please let us know if this works.
        ****
        net user student password /add /passwordchg:no /comment:"local
        account for students"

        cusrmgr -u student +s PasswordNeverExpires

        net user physadmin different-
        password /add /passwordchg:no /comment:"admin account for staff"

        cusrmgr -u physadmin +s PasswordNeverExpires

        net localgroup administrators physadmin /add
        ****
        Thanks,

        Sam

        ********************
        > All

        > I recently asked about adding a local user from the command line. I
        need to add two users, one just a user and the other to be an admin.
        The OS is win2k SP4.

        > Here's what I have so far:-

        > -------

        > net user student password /add /passwordchg:no /comment:"local
        account for students"

        > net user physadmin different-
        password /add /passwordchg:no /comment:"admin account for staff"

        > net localgroup administrators physadmin /add

        > -------

        > ...which is fine. All I need to do now is (via the command line) set
        > both accounts to 'password never expires'.

        > Any ideas?

        > TIA

        > Nick
        ********************************
        cusrmgr -u UserName [-m \\ComputerName] [{-r UserName | -d
        NewUserName}] [{-p | -P Password}] [-rlg OldGroupName NewGroupName] [-
        rgg OldGroupName NewGroupName] [-alg LocalGroupName] [-agg
        GlobalGroupName] [-dlg LocalGroupName] [-dgg GlobalGroupName] [-c
        Comment] [-f FullName] [-U UserProfile] [-n LogonScript] [-h HomeDir]
        [-H HomeDirDrive] [{+s | -s} Property]

        Where:

        -u UserName
        specifies the user account on which to perform the operation. This
        switch is case-sensitive: it takes a lower-case u.
        -m \\ComputerName
        specifies the name of the computer (machine) on which to perform the
        operation. The default is the local computer.
        User Functions
        -r UserName
        renames user specified with -u to NewUserName.
        -d UserName
        deletes user UserName.
        Resetting Password Functions
        -p
        sets a random password. This switch is case-sensitive: it takes a
        lower-case p.
        -P Password
        sets password to Password. This switch is case-sensitive: it takes a
        capital P.
        Group Functions
        -rlg OldGroupName NewGroupName
        renames local group OldGroupName to NewGroupName.
        -rgg OldGroupName NewGroupName
        renames global group OldGroupName to NewGroupName.
        -alg LocalGroupName
        adds user specified by -u UserName to local group LocalGroupName.
        -agg GlobalGroupName
        adds user specified by -u UserName to global group GlobalGroupName.
        -dlg LocalGroupName
        deletes user specified by -u UserName from local group
        LocalGroupName.
        -dgg GlobalGroupName
        deletes user specified by -u UserName from global group
        GlobalGroupName.
        SetProperties Functions
        -c Comment
        sets Comment property to Comment.
        -f FullName
        sets FullName property to FullName.
        -U UserProfile
        sets UserProfile property to UserProfile. This switch is case-
        sensitive: it takes a capital U.
        -n LogonScript
        sets LogonScript property to LogonScript.
        -h HomeDir
        sets HomeDir property to HomeDir. This switch is case-sensitive: it
        takes a lower-case h.
        -H HomeDirDrive
        sets HomeDirDrive property to HomeDirDrive. This switch is case-
        sensitive: it takes a capital H.
        +s Property
        sets property Property, where Property can be any of the following
        properties:
        MustChangePassword
        CanNotChangePassword
        PasswordNeverExpires
        AccountDisabled
        AccountLockout
        RASUser
        -s Property
        resets any of the properties that can be set with +s.
        Return Value
        CusrMgr returns 0 on success.