Interactive Batch options

  • veganman23
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hello everyone. I am new to this list and need some help.

      I have been doing some research regarding interactivity options with
      Batch files. I am looking for something that displays dialogue boxes
      in a user-friendly Windows-type format (instead of DOS windows) which
      would ask the user questions and insert specific text into a Word
      document. I realize Visual Basic for Applications is probably more
      appropriate, but do not have the means at this time to learn it to
      the level necessary to accomplish this task.

      I have found the Wizard's Apprentice, which looks like it might be a
      good possibility, but wanted to see if there were any others out
      there that people might be aware of.

      This will need to operate in Windows 95 and Windows 2000. Eventually
      it will just be Windows 2000, so I would be interested in knowing
      those that fit for just 2000 as well as those methods available for
      Win 95 and 2000.

      Sorry for the length, just trying to be clear.

      Drake
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2003
        On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:41:37 -0000, veganman23 wrote:

        > I have been doing some research regarding interactivity options with
        > Batch files. I am looking for something that displays dialogue boxes
        > in a user-friendly Windows-type format (instead of DOS windows) which
        > would ask the user questions and insert specific text into a Word
        > document.

        > This will need to operate in Windows 95 and Windows 2000.

        I think Windows scripting host can do what you want.

      • kcmjr@onemain.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
          Mick is right, the Windows scripting host will do what you want. Here
          is an example of how I pop up script independent info windows:
          =================
          dim VbOkOnly
          VbOkOnly=0

          dim VbInformation
          VbInformation=64

          Msgbox "The system has failed to automatically reboot.", 64, "System
          Restart Failed!"
          =================
          Place these lines in a text file called whatever you like as long it has
          a.VBS extension.

          To execute it run this command:
          start /min cscript.exe yourfile.vbs //nologo

          Run cscript.exe with a /? To bring up the command line options. This
          configuration brings up an info box icon, other icons are available but
          you'll need to look over at TechNet to find the correct codes. I
          believe the 64 denotes the icon type.

          Good luck,

          Ken Mazie MCSE/CNE/CCNA
          Kaiser Permanente Wintel Engineering

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
            Ken -

            would the example you mention below allow for user input to the
            questions asked?

            Also, forgive my ignorance, but what is the "Windows scripting host"?

          • kcmjr@onemain.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
              Yes you could do that, it's just a Visual Basic script. I'm not a VB
              programmer, that example was shown to me and I've been using it a lot.
              WSH or Windows Scripting Host comes with Windows and allows VB scripts
              to run from the command line. Here is a nice explanation of it:
              http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/wsh/quickref/wsh_intro.html

              I know you can prompt for input and then use it as needed, I've seen it
              done, but I'm not real familiar with all the commands. I recommend
              searching around for resources on the web and on http://www.msdn.com
              We use some VB script to prompt for input and drop it into a registry
              key in one of our server build batch files.

              Also CSCRIPT.exe is the command line version WSCRIPT.EXE is the GUI
              version (as far as output goes anyway).

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
                this stuff is really cool! Thanks for posting a simple example and how to
                run it. So many times folks can never get startted in someting new because
                we have to learn everything about it first, instead of being given an
                example.

                If you want to see all of the box display options you can get, save this
                into a .vbs file like instructed below:

                For counter = 1 to 72
                Msgbox "Press Enter to go to next." & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & "Box Num: " &
                counter, counter, "My Title"
                Next

                ================
                At each multiple of 16, you'll see about 6 different button
                possibilities. Btween, you'll see the default one.

                __________/ kcmjr@... \__________

              • Jolly Green Giant
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
                  Speaking of all this action script stuff, does anyone know how to use
                  vbscript (run via cscript) to copy a string (like "Hello World" to the
                  windows clipboard?
                • veganman
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
                    OK guys. I really apologize for my ignorance about VB. That is why I am
                    trying to stick with DOS if possible. Therefore, is there any way to have
                    interactive Windows dialog boxes for users to answer questions in and input
                    data by using solely DOS?

                    Secondly, I believe I followed both of your examples below exactly, however
                    I have DOS windows opening and closing. Nothing else. This is Windows
                    2000. Do you know what I could be doing wrong?
                    > this stuff is really cool! Thanks for posting a simple example and how to
                    > run it. So many times folks can never get startted in someting new
                    because
                    > we have to learn everything about it first, instead of being given an
                    > example.
                    >
                    > If you want to see all of the box display options you can get, save this
                    > into a .vbs file like instructed below:
                    >
                    > For counter = 1 to 72
                    > Msgbox "Press Enter to go to next." & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & "Box Num: "
                    &
                    > counter, counter, "My Title"
                    > Next
                    >
                    > ================
                    > At each multiple of 16, you'll see about 6 different button
                    > possibilities. Btween, you'll see the default one.
                    >
                    > __________/ kcmjr@... \__________
                    > >Mick is right, the Windows scripting host will do what you want. Here
                    > >is an example of how I pop up script independent info windows:
                    > >=================
                    > >dim VbOkOnly
                    > >VbOkOnly=0
                    > >
                    > >dim VbInformation
                    > >VbInformation=64
                    > >
                    > >Msgbox "The system has failed to automatically reboot.", 64, "System
                    > >Restart Failed!"
                    > >=================
                    > >Place these lines in a text file called whatever you like as long it has
                    > >a.VBS extension.
                    > >
                    > >To execute it run this command:
                    > >start /min cscript.exe yourfile.vbs //nologo
                    > >
                    > >Run cscript.exe with a /? To bring up the command line options. This
                    > >configuration brings up an info box icon, other icons are available but
                    > >you'll need to look over at TechNet to find the correct codes. I
                    > >believe the 64 denotes the icon type.
                    > >
                    > >Good luck,
                    > >
                    > >Ken Mazie MCSE/CNE/CCNA
                    > >Kaiser Permanente Wintel Engineering

                  • veganman
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
                      I have tried both of your suggestions from the Command prompt and get either
                      a "syntax" error for Jolly's or a "Unterminated String Constant" from Ken's.
                      Any thoughts?

                      Drake
                      > this stuff is really cool! Thanks for posting a simple example and how to
                      > run it. So many times folks can never get startted in someting new
                      because
                      > we have to learn everything about it first, instead of being given an
                      > example.
                      >
                      > If you want to see all of the box display options you can get, save this
                      > into a .vbs file like instructed below:
                      >
                      > For counter = 1 to 72
                      > Msgbox "Press Enter to go to next." & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & "Box Num: "
                      &
                      > counter, counter, "My Title"
                      > Next
                      >
                      > ================
                      > At each multiple of 16, you'll see about 6 different button
                      > possibilities. Btween, you'll see the default one.
                      >
                      > __________/ kcmjr@... \__________
                      > >Mick is right, the Windows scripting host will do what you want. Here
                      > >is an example of how I pop up script independent info windows:
                      > >=================
                      > >dim VbOkOnly
                      > >VbOkOnly=0
                      > >
                      > >dim VbInformation
                      > >VbInformation=64
                      > >
                      > >Msgbox "The system has failed to automatically reboot.", 64, "System
                      > >Restart Failed!"
                      > >=================
                      > >Place these lines in a text file called whatever you like as long it has
                      > >a.VBS extension.
                      > >
                      > >To execute it run this command:
                      > >start /min cscript.exe yourfile.vbs //nologo
                      > >
                      > >Run cscript.exe with a /? To bring up the command line options. This
                      > >configuration brings up an info box icon, other icons are available but
                      > >you'll need to look over at TechNet to find the correct codes. I
                      > >believe the 64 denotes the icon type.
                      > >
                      > >Good luck,
                      > >
                      > >Ken Mazie MCSE/CNE/CCNA
                      > >Kaiser Permanente Wintel Engineering

                    • G. J. Pareja
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
                        Hi. Don't let it word-wrap. The script below is only 3 lines of text.

                        Gerry Pareja (Vancouver, Canada)

                        At 2003-06-02 04:48 PM -0700, veganman wrote:
                        >I have tried both of your suggestions from the Command prompt and get either
                        >a "syntax" error for Jolly's or a "Unterminated String Constant" from Ken's.
                        >Any thoughts?
                        >
                        >Drake

                      • Josh Fitzgerald
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
                          Try this...save it to a text file with .vbs as the extension. At a command prompt, run:

                          cscript scriptname.vbs

                          '--- BEGIN SCRIPT ---
                          Dim input
                          input = InputBox("Enter your name")
                          MsgBox ("You entered: " & Input)
                          '--- END SCRIPT ---

                          aphoria
                          > >Hello everyone. I am new to this list and need some help.
                          > >
                          > >I have been doing some research regarding interactivity options with
                          > >Batch files. I am looking for something that displays dialogue boxes
                          > >in a user-friendly Windows-type format (instead of DOS windows) which
                          > >would ask the user questions and insert specific text into a Word
                          > >document. I realize Visual Basic for Applications is probably more
                          > >appropriate, but do not have the means at this time to learn it to
                          > >the level necessary to accomplish this task.
                          > >
                          > >I have found the Wizard's Apprentice, which looks like it might be a
                          > >good possibility, but wanted to see if there were any others out
                          > >there that people might be aware of.
                          > >
                          > >This will need to operate in Windows 95 and Windows 2000. Eventually
                          > >it will just be Windows 2000, so I would be interested in knowing
                          > >those that fit for just 2000 as well as those methods available for
                          > >Win 95 and 2000.
                          > >
                          > >Sorry for the length, just trying to be clear.
                          > >
                          > >Drake

                        • Rob Hoover
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
                            No need to apologize. NO ONE can be an expert on
                            everything about the computer. I know, I started on
                            them back in 1964!!! And I still learn sometning new
                            everyday! And this same problem had me stumped for
                            quite a while last year!

                            To get a windows style prompt box, have a desk top
                            icon to the DOS batch file you want to run, right
                            click on this icon and select 'properties' and then
                            'Programs'. In the 'Cmd line' box add a space and a
                            ?. When the batch file is executed, a box with the
                            word Parameters will be displayed with an area to
                            enter any required parameters. After entering them,
                            click on 'ok' and the batch file will be executed.
                            This works on both Windows98SE and Windows NT, so I
                            think it SHOULD work with any version of windows.

                            1 caveat: the person using the batch file must know
                            what value(s) to enter and in which order to enter
                            them.
                            The batch file will then process the value(s) entered
                            via %1 thru %9.

                            Bob The Techie

                            http://calendar.yahoo.com
                          • veganman
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
                              Josh,

                              that looks great. Unfortunately, this gets me back to VB, which I know very
                              little about. Is it safe to say I would need to understand quite a bit
                              before being able to do much with it? Or is it very similar to DOS?
                              > Try this...save it to a text file with .vbs as the extension. At a
                              command prompt, run:

                              > cscript scriptname.vbs
                              >
                              > '--- BEGIN SCRIPT ---
                              > Dim input
                              > input = InputBox("Enter your name")
                              > MsgBox ("You entered: " & Input)
                              > '--- END SCRIPT ---
                              >
                              > aphoria
                              > > >Hello everyone. I am new to this list and need some help.
                              > > >
                              > > >I have been doing some research regarding interactivity options with
                              > > >Batch files. I am looking for something that displays dialogue boxes
                              > > >in a user-friendly Windows-type format (instead of DOS windows) which
                              > > >would ask the user questions and insert specific text into a Word
                              > > >document. I realize Visual Basic for Applications is probably more
                              > > >appropriate, but do not have the means at this time to learn it to
                              > > >the level necessary to accomplish this task.
                              > > >
                              > > >I have found the Wizard's Apprentice, which looks like it might be a
                              > > >good possibility, but wanted to see if there were any others out
                              > > >there that people might be aware of.
                              > > >
                              > > >This will need to operate in Windows 95 and Windows 2000. Eventually
                              > > >it will just be Windows 2000, so I would be interested in knowing
                              > > >those that fit for just 2000 as well as those methods available for
                              > > >Win 95 and 2000.
                              > > >
                              > > >Sorry for the length, just trying to be clear.
                              > > >
                              > > >Drake

                            • Josh Fitzgerald
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
                                Actually, it's just VBScript which is a subset of VB and doesn't require a compiler. It is fairly simple to learn, at least the basics, no pun intended. Here is a link to the Microsoft VBScript documentation page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/vtoriVBScript.asp. It has a user guide and a language reference. You can also find tons of example code on the web.

                                You can definitely use it productively without knowing a lot about all of its features.

                                Feel free to ask me any questions.

                                Josh
                                that looks great. Unfortunately, this gets me back to VB, which I know very
                                little about. Is it safe to say I would need to understand quite a bit
                                before being able to do much with it? Or is it very similar to DOS?
                                > Try this...save it to a text file with .vbs as the extension. At a
                                command prompt, run:

                                > cscript scriptname.vbs
                                >
                                > '--- BEGIN SCRIPT ---
                                > Dim input
                                > input = InputBox("Enter your name")
                                > MsgBox ("You entered: " & Input)
                                > '--- END SCRIPT ---
                                >
                                > aphoria
                                > > >Hello everyone. I am new to this list and need some help.
                                > > >
                                > > >I have been doing some research regarding interactivity options with
                                > > >Batch files. I am looking for something that displays dialogue boxes
                                > > >in a user-friendly Windows-type format (instead of DOS windows) which
                                > > >would ask the user questions and insert specific text into a Word
                                > > >document. I realize Visual Basic for Applications is probably more
                                > > >appropriate, but do not have the means at this time to learn it to
                                > > >the level necessary to accomplish this task.
                                > > >
                                > > >I have found the Wizard's Apprentice, which looks like it might be a
                                > > >good possibility, but wanted to see if there were any others out
                                > > >there that people might be aware of.
                                > > >
                                > > >This will need to operate in Windows 95 and Windows 2000. Eventually
                                > > >it will just be Windows 2000, so I would be interested in knowing
                                > > >those that fit for just 2000 as well as those methods available for
                                > > >Win 95 and 2000.
                                > > >
                                > > >Sorry for the length, just trying to be clear.
                                > > >
                                > > >Drake

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
                                  On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 20:47:12 -0500, Josh Fitzgerald wrote:

                                  > Actually, it's just VBScript which is a subset of VB and doesn't require a compiler. It is fairly simple to learn, at least the basics, no pun intended. Here is a link to the Microsoft VBScript documentation page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/vtoriVBScript.asp. It has a user guide and a language reference. You can also find tons of example code on the web.
                                  >
                                  > You can definitely use it productively without knowing a lot about all of its features.

                                  I'm keen to get a toe-hold into VBscript but I prefer local documentation
                                  rather than web based.

                                  After a quick search I found "msdn's 32-bit VBScript Documentation (473KB
                                  for Windows 95 and Windows NT)" which is a .CHM help file for V5.5 but
                                  should be ok to start with I'd think. My Current cscript.exe claims to be
                                  V5.6

                                  http://tutorials.kisland.com/scripts/caddress.php?tlink=799

                                  > Feel free to ask me any questions.

                                  As soon as I extract the digit...

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
                                    On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:11:33 +1000, Michael Marquart wrote:
                                    > On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 20:47:12 -0500, Josh Fitzgerald wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Actually, it's just VBScript which is a subset of VB and doesn't require a compiler.
                                    >> Feel free to ask me any questions.
                                    > As soon as I extract the digit...

                                    I just tried this code and have two questions:

                                    1) How would I go about formatting the code so it doesn't exceed 75
                                    characters
                                    2) how does one break out of the processing once in the loop?

                                    I suspect wscript.exe was being used rather than cscript.exe

                                    and thanks for the sample, Jolly.

                                    ' ===[start script]===
                                    For counter = 1 to 72
                                    Msgbox "Press Enter to go to next." & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & "Box Num: " &
                                    counter, counter, "My Title"
                                    Next
                                    ' ===[end script]===

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 2, 2003
                                      On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 16:48:12 -0700, veganman wrote:

                                      > I have tried both of your suggestions from the Command prompt and get either
                                      > a "syntax" error for Jolly's or a "Unterminated String Constant" from Ken's.
                                      > Any thoughts?

                                      Syntax error generally means that you made a typing blunder and Gerry has
                                      already mentioned the other one - which does indicate, by default, that you
                                      do have WSH installed. Some Windows 9x machines will not have WSH
                                      installed, if they are not up to date.

                                    • Mr Chris Padilla

                                        > this stuff is really cool! Thanks for posting a simple example and how to
                                        > run it. So many times folks can never get startted in someting new
                                        because
                                        > we have to learn everything about it first, instead of being given an
                                        > example.
                                        >
                                        > If you want to see all of the box display options you can get, save this
                                        > into a .vbs file like instructed below:
                                        >
                                        > For counter = 1 to 72
                                        > Msgbox "Press Enter to go to next." & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & "Box Num: "
                                        &
                                        > counter, counter, "My Title"
                                        > Next
                                        >
                                        > ================
                                        > At each multiple of 16, you'll see about 6 different button
                                        > possibilities. Btween, you'll see the default one.
                                        >
                                        > __________/ kcmjr@... \__________
                                        > >Mick is right, the Windows scripting host will do what you want. Here
                                        > >is an example of how I pop up script independent info windows:
                                        > >=================
                                        > >dim VbOkOnly
                                        > >VbOkOnly=0
                                        > >
                                        > >dim VbInformation
                                        > >VbInformation=64
                                        > >
                                        > >Msgbox "The system has failed to automatically reboot.", 64, "System
                                        > >Restart Failed!"
                                        > >=================
                                        > >Place these lines in a text file called whatever you like as long it has
                                        > >a.VBS extension.
                                        > >
                                        > >To execute it run this command:
                                        > >start /min cscript.exe yourfile.vbs //nologo
                                        > >
                                        > >Run cscript.exe with a /? To bring up the command line options. This
                                        > >configuration brings up an info box icon, other icons are available but
                                        > >you'll need to look over at TechNet to find the correct codes. I
                                        > >believe the 64 denotes the icon type.
                                        > >
                                        > >Good luck,
                                        > >
                                        > >Ken Mazie MCSE/CNE/CCNA
                                        > >Kaiser Permanente Wintel Engineering

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        ---

                                      • Josh Fitzgerald
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 3, 2003
                                          Here is a link for the downloadable version of the documentation. It includes the docs for:

                                          - VBScript
                                          - JScript
                                          - Windows Script Host
                                          - Windows Script Components

                                          http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=01592C48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en

                                          Josh

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 3, 2003
                                            1) You can replace Chr(10) & Chr(13) with vbCrLf which is an internal constant to VBScript. You could also use the line continuation character to break the line up across multiple lines, like this:

                                            Msgbox "Press Enter to go to next." & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & "Box Num: " & counter, _
                                            counter, _
                                            "My Title"

                                            2) You need to capture the return value of the MsgBox function. In my example below, I capture the return value in a variable called result. Then, I check the value of result. If the user clicked Abort or Cancel, I break out of the For loop. Notice the parentheses around the MsgBox params, they are necessary when calling MsgBox as a function. Here is my example code:

                                            For counter = 0 To 5
                                            result = Msgbox("Press a button." & vbCrLf & "Box Num: " & counter, counter, "My Title"
                                            If (result = vbAbort) or (result = vbCancel) Then
                                            Exit For
                                            End If
                                            Next

                                            Button Constants
                                            vbOKOnly 0 Display OK button only.
                                            vbOKCancel 1 Display OK and Cancel buttons.
                                            vbAbortRetryIgnore 2 Display Abort, Retry, and Ignore buttons.
                                            vbYesNoCancel 3 Display Yes, No, and Cancel buttons.
                                            vbYesNo 4 Display Yes and No buttons.
                                            vbRetryCancel 5 Display Retry and Cancel buttons.
                                            vbCritical 16 Display Critical Message icon.
                                            vbQuestion 32 Display Warning Query icon.
                                            vbExclamation 48 Display Warning Message icon.
                                            vbInformation 64 Display Information Message icon.
                                            vbDefaultButton1 0 First button is the default.
                                            vbDefaultButton2 256 Second button is the default.
                                            vbDefaultButton3 512 Third button is the default.
                                            vbDefaultButton4 768 Fourth button is the default.
                                            vbApplicationModal 0 Application modal.
                                            vbSystemModal 4096 System modal.

                                            Return Code Constants
                                            vbOK 1 OK button was clicked.
                                            vbCancel 2 Cancel button was clicked.
                                            vbAbort 3 Abort button was clicked.
                                            vbRetry 4 Retry button was clicked.
                                            vbIgnore 5 Ignore button was clicked.
                                            vbYes 6 Yes button was clicked.
                                            vbNo 7 No button was clicked.

                                            Josh

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 3, 2003
                                              On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:21:25 -0500, Josh Fitzgerald wrote:

                                              > 1) You can replace Chr(10) & Chr(13) with vbCrLf which is an internal constant to VBScript.
                                              >You could also use the line continuation character to break the line up across multiple lines, like this:

                                              That's useful. Thanks.

                                              > Msgbox "Press Enter to go to next." & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & "Box Num: " & counter, _
                                              > counter, _
                                              > "My Title"
                                              >
                                              > 2) You need to capture the return value of the MsgBox function.

                                              > For counter = 0 To 5
                                              > result = Msgbox("Press a button." & vbCrLf & "Box Num: " & counter, counter, "My Title"
                                              > If (result = vbAbort) or (result = vbCancel) Then
                                              > Exit For
                                              > End If
                                              > Next

                                              You stratigically omitted a closing parenthesis, to see if I was paying
                                              attention! :)

                                              In 2) I was referring to a method of breaking out of a running program,
                                              like Control C or Control Break will do in a Qbasic script.
                                              Is there such a method?

                                              Thanks for the updated documentation - I could even read it, if I wanted to
                                              be a radical. ;)

                                            • Josh Fitzgerald
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 3, 2003
                                                > For counter = 0 To 5
                                                > result = Msgbox("Press a button." & vbCrLf & "Box Num: " & counter, counter, "My Title"
                                                > If (result = vbAbort) or (result = vbCancel) Then
                                                > Exit For
                                                > End If
                                                > Next
                                                >
                                                > You stratigically omitted a closing parenthesis, to see if I was paying
                                                > attention! :)

                                                Oops! Good catch!

                                                > In 2) I was referring to a method of breaking out of a running program,
                                                > like Control C or Control Break will do in a Qbasic script.
                                                > Is there such a method?

                                                If you run your script with CSCRIPT, then I believe Ctrl+C will break out. If you run with WSCRIPT, you'll have to kill it from Task Manager.

                                                > Thanks for the updated documentation - I could even read it, if I wanted to
                                                > be a radical. ;)

                                                No problem.

                                              • kcmjr@onemain.com
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jun 4, 2003
                                                  Some good info there, thanks Josh, I definitely need to get more up to
                                                  speed on this VB stuff. It's fairly easy to use and plenty handy.