Re: Shortcuts

  • vaf@ntl.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2000
      --- In batchworld@egroups.com, steven.lewin@s... wrote:
      > How can I create shorcuts within a batch file?
      > If I copy shortcuts from a Workstation to a central place and then
      > use them in the batch file the shortcut refers the original
      > Workstation.

      I'm not sure if this will help you but if you're using Windows,
      there's a handy command line utility called shortcut.exe that allows
      you to create or modify shortcuts in bat files. You can even specify
      in the vat file, the icon you want to use. There' quite a few switches
      and I really haven't worked with it much but heres an example that
      creates a shortcut that loads autoexec into notepad and specifies an
      icon to be used:

      shortcut -n "edit autoexec" -t c:\windows\notepad.exe -a
      c:\autoexec.bat -d c:\ -i c:\windows\system\pifmgr.dll -x 7

      Data Switches: -n filename of the shortcut file
      -a arguements
      -t target
      -d directory
      -i icon file
      -x index to icon
      Action Switches -f forces overwrite of existing shortcut
      -c change existing shortcut
      -s make shortcut stupid(Windows wont look for it if
      it goes missing)

      There are a few more switches I heard but I don't really know them.

      Shortcut.exe is not installed by default. I'm using Win95 and found
      it in the Admin\Apptools\Envars folder on the Win95 CD. It's not
      included in Win98 but you can the 95 version. Windows Nt uses a
      different version.

      hope that helps!

      vaf
    • steven.lewin@sanlam.co.za
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2000
        Thanks alot

        --- In batchworld@egroups.com, vaf@n... wrote:
        > --- In batchworld@egroups.com, steven.lewin@s... wrote:
        > > How can I create shorcuts within a batch file?
        > > If I copy shortcuts from a Workstation to a central place and
        then
        > > use them in the batch file the shortcut refers the original
        > > Workstation.
        >
        > I'm not sure if this will help you but if you're using Windows,
        > there's a handy command line utility called shortcut.exe that
        allows
        > you to create or modify shortcuts in bat files. You can even
        specify
        > in the vat file, the icon you want to use. There' quite a few
        switches
        > and I really haven't worked with it much but heres an example that
        > creates a shortcut that loads autoexec into notepad and specifies
        an
        > icon to be used:
        >
        > shortcut -n "edit autoexec" -t c:\windows\notepad.exe -a
        > c:\autoexec.bat -d c:\ -i c:\windows\system\pifmgr.dll -x 7
        >
        > Data Switches: -n filename of the shortcut file
        > -a arguements
        > -t target
        > -d directory
        > -i icon file
        > -x index to icon
        > Action Switches -f forces overwrite of existing shortcut
        > -c change existing shortcut
        > -s make shortcut stupid(Windows wont look for it
        if
        > it goes missing)
        >
        > There are a few more switches I heard but I don't really know them.
        >
        > Shortcut.exe is not installed by default. I'm using Win95 and found
        > it in the Admin\Apptools\Envars folder on the Win95 CD. It's not
        > included in Win98 but you can the 95 version. Windows Nt uses a
        > different version.
        >
        > hope that helps!
        >
        > vaf
      • Dembskey, E. (Evan)
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 11, 2003
          Hi,

          Is it possible to create shortcuts to files on a desktop, using a batch? If
          so, how?

          Regards,

          Evan

          .

          ********************
          This email and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential and proprietary information. This information is private and protected by law and, accordingly, if you are not the intended recipient, you are requested to delete this entire communication immediately and are notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of or taking any action based on this information is prohibited.

          Emails cannot be guaranteed to be secure or free of errors or viruses. The sender does not accept any liability or responsibility for any interception, corruption, destruction, loss, late arrival or incompleteness of or tampering or interference with any of the information contained in this email or for its incorrect delivery or non-delivery for whatsoever reason or for its effect on any electronic device of the recipient.

          If verification of this email or any attachment is required, please request a hard-copy version.
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 11, 2003
            On stardate Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:36:28 +0200, while visiting Deep Space 9,
            the changeling Founder Dembskey, E. (Evan) spake thusly:

            > Is it possible to create shortcuts to files on a desktop, using a batch? If
            > so, how?

            http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6000/rh6035.htm

          • Tutor2000
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 14, 2003