RE: [bassfishing] Happy Thanksgiving

  • Rick Wolfe
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2002
      Dang, I've been as busy as everybody else, I guess.
      But seems like Lip is in need of some blabbering and I can do that with the best of them.

      Let's see, last fishing trip wasn't for bass, at least not for blacks (was hoping maybe a stray striper might find my bait). Me and a couple buds went on San Francisco Bay in my friends 24' Bayliner. The weather was cloudly, and in the mid 60s, not a breeze on the water, at 9:00am last Saturday.
      Started catching small sharks right away. Using frozen shad that I had brought back from the Delta. Big shad too. Good stuff, firm and meaty. We were having a good old time catching and tossing back the little sharks, hoping the bigger ones would come around, but not really caring as I couldn't for life of me hear the wife, or the kids naggin' me about this or that. :-)

      Got this one bite and thought by the way it was fighting that it must be a stingray, cause they just swim around under the boat and use that wide body to do their fighting. Like trying to reel up a live piece of plywood. Finally the thing comes up to the surface and danged if it ain't a halibut. First one I every caught, and I was tickled pink. The thing is flopping around on the deck and I put my foot on it and the hook pops out of its mouth. My pardner gets his camera so we can get a picture, and I'm getting ready to hold the thing up.

      (Time to pause for a life-lesson. Just cause you know stuff doesn't mean that everyone was born knowing that stuff, too. So if you know something important about a situation, don't assume that your buddy knows it, too.)

      We use this old pair of rawhide gloves that to handle the sharks and I had one on my right hand. I (being the halibut rookie) stuck my thumb in the halibut mouth to prepare to lift him up for the photo shoot. NOT A GOOD IDEA. My halibut-knowledgeable fishing buddies hadn't bothered to share their halibut knowledge. The halibut gently (thank you God) closed his mouth, where upon I discovered what my halibut-knowledgeable buddies hadn't told me. THOSE THINGS HAVE SHARP TEETH. Luckily the halibut wasn't too frisky and I was able to extract my thumb, intact, without damage. Life-lesson learned.

      The thing weighed 6.5 pounds. Not huge but the biggest one I every caught. If my pardner ever sends me the phono I'll send it along.
      - Rick