Basket Weaving 101

  • I_like_to_dance_in_pudding
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 15, 1999
      Welcome, This is the Yahoo! Message Board for Basket Weaving 101 community.
    • hockey27girl
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 20, 2001
        Does anyone know a good place to buy cheap reed??
        Where I'm from I can only buy it for $9.00 a pound. If
        you could respond with places online that you've
        purchaed from it woiuld be appreciated<br><br>thanks :~)
      • kurtbarb
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2001
          Try www.daisiescorp.com<br><br>It's $11/lb here!
        • hbstudio2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 12, 2001
            North Carolina Basket Works has the best prices
            on a sliding scale of any wholesaler/retailer. For
            Handles/Reed. <br><br>1-800-338-4972 They will send you a free
            catalog<br><br>46 pages. Prices range from 6.25/lb. to 5.75/lb.
            Webster, from Heritage Basket Studio, sent you.
          • hbstudio2000
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 12, 2001
            • hockey27girl
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2001
                I've been making baskets for about 2 years, all
                kinds. I mostly use them for gift, but lately they seem
                to be my favorite decoration in my house. I like
                natural colored reed the best, but i've been
                experimenting with dying from different types of nuts to give a
                richer color. I'm looking for a pattern that makes a
                silverwear/napkin holder for when i go camping. Also, if anyone
                knows of any good pattern books with a variety of
                baskets, I have a hard time find them.
              • rezroze
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2001
                  I have lots of fresh weeping willow reed for sale
                  or trade. This is not a business, a tree fell on my
                  house last night!!! So this is just while the supply
                  lasts . . . Respond here or e-mail me at
                  rezroze@...<br><br>Thanks!
                • hbstudio2000
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 15, 2001
                    Hockey27 girl, <br><br>Please go to
                    www.ncbasketworks.com, I am sure you will not be disappointed with the
                    prices or the selection of weaving supplies.<br>They
                    offer a very nice silverware base/handle and also a
                    very nice napkin base, I have not made either but I
                    have seen them made already. <br>They have a printed
                    catalog, as well as a website and the prices are good, the
                    monthly sales are
                  • navybrat52
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 23, 2002
                      Hi guys, just joined the group. I have been
                      weaving oriental style baskets from round reed for 18
                      years. I also restore antique wicker furniture and have
                      a stained glass design studio. I live in a small
                      town in Texas so not many opportunities to learn
                      basketweaving, so I ordered a set of wonderful books written in
                      Japanese to learn my craft. The pictures were so precise
                      and well illustrated, it was easy to learn the
                      weaving techniques. I ordered the books from The Caning
                      Shop (www.caning.com/index.html) and I feel sure they
                      still carry some of them. I now teach classes and have
                      for over 14 years. I experiment with dyes, beads,
                      ceramic pieces woven in and seashells, but my bread and
                      butter is my glass work. I am tickled to have found
                      other weavers! Warm regards.......Nan