Re: [basketball-coaching] Zone vs. Man

  • Sars300@aol.com
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 31, 2004

      Coach...

      You are missing the picture here.  NONE of the concepts of m2m are beyond them.... if you take the time to teach them the m2m principals they will be able to play it.  Zones are the easy way to get a W but if you really care about the kids and their progress.... you will teach m2m.

      Forget the Ws & Ls ......  you can go 16-0 and if those kids don't make it to the next level... what have you really done for them?   JMO

      Coach Sar    ( Ken )
      Zone D is effective at younger levels b/c many of the
      concepts of help side defense and staying at mid-line
      when the ball is 2 or more passes away is beyond them;
      nothing wrong with zone while working in the concepts
      of man, which they'll need sooner than later.
    • Sars300@aol.com
      Message 55 of 55 , Sep 7, 2005
        Okay.... and here is my last post....

        I can change your practice schedule and what you work on... just to name one thing.

        Okay guys and ladies, this is my last post on this one...

        I had this discussion with a very successfull college coach.  I asked her the same question I did of all of you: "Is there any situation that you can gain from a zone that you can't with a M2M?"

        She answered the question with a question, "Well, if the answer is no, then is there any situation you can create with a M2M that you can't with a zone?"

        Of course I answered yes, but after much discussion with her, we couldn't come up with one! She answered my question...

        Matt