Re: [basketball-coaching] guarding the wing

  • john durso
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
      When guarding the wing position I have been taught to
      try to deny the ball by playing up close the leg
      closest to the ball forward and the arm closest the
      ball outstretched to deny the pass. We play a team
      the other day and the coach have taught his team to
      play more in the passing lane to deny the pass. They
      took the angle away from us and this made it very
      difficult to make out entry pass.

      Do coaches teach to play up on your man and deny the
      pass or take the passing lane away to deny the pass.
      Which do you think is more effective.

      Thanks, John

      --- Brian L Williams <bigcityballer@...> wrote:
      > I teach force to the sideline and baseline. First
      > we only want to defend
      > half of the floor with our 5 guys against your 3 or
      > 4. Second, there's a
      > natural defender there - the out of bounds line.
      > Third it makes
      > reversing the ball harder. Fourth it messes up the
      > spacing. Fifth there
      > are less options from the sideline then there are
      > from the middle.
      >

      > Brian Williams
      > "A Lesson Is Repeated Until Learned"
      >
      > On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:40:51 -0800 (PST) john durso
      > <jdurso25@...>
      > writes:
      > > I have heard two different theories from coaches
      > in
      > > this group on how to guard your man. One is to
      > force
      > > him to the sideline so he can be trapped and
      > cann't
      > > see the floor, the other is to force him to the
      > middle
      > > so the defender will have help. I was alway
      > taught
      > > the second theory, but I see in the NBA they use
      > the
      > > first theory more. What is your opion.

      > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for
      > less!
      > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Brian Williams
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 4, 2001
        We teach both. Makes your defense so much more
        adjustable if you can do both. Gives the other team a
        different look although you are still in M2M. When we
        really need a stop we deny the pass.

        Brian Williams

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • jcohen3
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 5, 2001
          We use the terms "on the line" and "up the line". The "up the line"
          means we don't want our players right next to their man. We find
          that if they are that close, they are susceptible to curls off of
          screens, and more importantly, not able to help properly. There's
          too much attention on the man they are guarding rather than the help
          defense concept. The net result, is we'd be playing five games of
          one on one rather than one game of team defense. The only exception
          for us is if there is a "dead ball" situation, where the ball handler
          can't dribble. Then we instruct our players to "D" up chest to chest.

        • jleasure25
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 23, 2003
            --- In basketball-coaching@yahoogroups.com, Sars300@a... wrote:
            > If you force the ball to the sideline... then lower to the
            baseline... you
            > have a situation where the offense is playing 3 on 5... I like
            those odds on
            > DEFENSE..........
            >
            > Coach Sar ( KEN )
            >
            > Just my opinion of course
            the sink and fill is good but make sure u force the man who fills
            to see ball and weak side and the helper to have a foot OUT OF BOUNDS
            to eliminate the guy from going baselineand if the skip goes to the
            helpers man make a switch
          • Dickran Parunak
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 23, 2003
              Just a note here regarding rules...

              I teach the same thing. Step ON the baseline or out of bounds to cut off
              penetration. However, just remember that if your player is out of bounds,
              no matter in what kind of position he/she is in, (according to the rules)
              they cannot take a charge since they are not "on the court". In my
              experience, referees usually call it as if the player is on the court.
              But...you never know. Just an FYI

              Coach D

              > If you force the ball to the sideline... then lower to the
              baseline... you
              > have a situation where the offense is playing 3 on 5... I like
              those odds on
              > DEFENSE..........
              >
              > Coach Sar ( KEN )
              >
              > Just my opinion of course
              the sink and fill is good but make sure u force the man who fills
              to see ball and weak side and the helper to have a foot OUT OF BOUNDS
              to eliminate the guy from going baselineand if the skip goes to the
              helpers man make a switch

              Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer
              at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
              http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/wHUolB/TM