My 1/2 marathon Journey of Hope

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2008
      Dear Friends,
      On January 18, 2009, I will be participating in the P.F. Chang's Rock
      `n' Roll Arizona 1/2 Marathon to raise funds for a very worthy cause,
      the Arizona Lost Boys Center (www.azlostboyscenter.org.)

      For the past eight years, the AZ Lost Boys Center, a 501 (c) (3)
      nonprofit organization, has worked to develop meaningful education and
      employment programs, as well as a cultural support system to assist
      the Lost Boys of Sudan in their quest for a better life. The Center
      also supports their physical and emotional well being through sports
      and recreational activities, establishing soccer, basketball and track
      teams.

      My wife Tracy, all 3 of my children, and I have been volunteering
      at the Arizona Lost Boys Center for the past 3½ years. The Lost Boys
      are a group
      of Sudanese refugees who have overcome some incredible hardships in their
      lives. Please take the time to read about these incredible men and the
      journeys that they have made at this web site:
      http://www.redcross.org/news/in/africa/010814lostboys_a.html

      Many of the lost boys were between the ages of 5-10 years old when their
      villages were destroyed and their parents killed by rebels. These boys
      fled
      through the jungles of Sudan and walked for months to reach a refugee
      camp in
      Kenya. The leaders of the boys were no more than children themselves,
      barely
      10 years old if that. Many boys did not make it and died of hunger, lion
      attacks, or disease. A small percentage of those who were fortunate
      enough to arrive in Kenya were granted permission to come to the US to
      gain an education and a chance
      to live a normal life. However, many of the boys are still tormented by
      their memories of their flight for life. My daughters Annie and Katie
      have been
      chronicling the stories of these men and helping take care of their center
      in Phoenix. I have had the opportunity to meet many of these
      incredible men and they are truly the most humble, friendly men I have
      ever met. Their story has been described as a "Journey of Hope".

      My ½ marathon run will be difficult and grueling for me. However, it is
      nothing compared to what many of these men have endured. As such, I am
      asking my friends to sponsor me or to donate to the Arizona Lost Boy
      Center. Your donation is tax deductible and will go towards
      maintaining their center, which is a focal point in their life. I hope
      you will consider sponsoring me and donate to the Arizona Lost Boy Center.

      My donation page is:
      http://www.active.com/donations/fundraise_public.cfm?key=azlbjourney09MJaffe

      Thank you for your help!

      Mike