A little New Years trivia for the BASH boys.

  • moonlightgrm
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
      My son asked me this one and I thought it was worth sharing: Who was
      the first player in the NHL to score each of the three types of goals
      in a hockey game? That is, even strength, power play, and short-handed.

      Hint: It was accomplished after 1960.
    • Chris Shaffer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
        Great question John..My guess:Gretzky??

        moonlightgrm <cirillofam@...> wrote:
        My son asked me this one and I thought it was worth sharing: Who was
        the first player in the NHL to score each of the three types of goals
        in a hockey game? That is, even strength, power play, and short-handed.

        Hint: It was accomplished after 1960.

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Jason Connor
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
          Im guessing Jean Beliveau, but that's just a guess.

          But we all know the first player to score 5 ways in one game -- and he did it on New Years Eve 1988 I think.  66.

          On 1/2/07, Chris Shaffer <Alliance255@...> wrote:

          Great question John..My guess:Gretzky??

          moonlightgrm <cirillofam@...> wrote:

          My son asked me this one and I thought it was worth sharing: Who was
          the first player in the NHL to score each of the three types of goals
          in a hockey game? That is, even strength, power play, and short-handed.

          Hint: It was accomplished after 1960.

          http://mail. yahoo.com

        • moonlightgrm
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
            5 ways? Let me guess, penalty shot and empty netter along with the 3
            ways mentioned above? Enlighten me, please.

            Mario Lemiuex is also the answer to the question, "Who is the first
            NHLer to score an even strength goal, a power play goal, and a short-
            handed goal in the same game", according to The Great Sports Trivia
            and Answer Book by Michael Pellowski.

            --- In bash-som@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Connor" <jconnor@...> wrote:

            > Im guessing Jean Beliveau, but that's just a guess.
            >
            > But we all know the first player to score 5 ways in one game --
            and he did
            > it on New Years Eve 1988 I think. 66.
            >

            > On 1/2/07, Chris Shaffer <Alliance255@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Great question John..My guess:Gretzky??
            > >
            > > *moonlightgrm <cirillofam@...>* wrote:
            > >
            > > My son asked me this one and I thought it was worth sharing:
            Who was
            > > the first player in the NHL to score each of the three types of
            goals
            > > in a hockey game? That is, even strength, power play, and short-
            handed.

            > > Hint: It was accomplished after 1960.

            > > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Jason Connor
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
              Wow!  Im amazed Gretzky never did that.  I thought for sure he'd have the main 3 types in one game.

              I looked it up and it was New Years Eve 1988 as I recalled (the year of Lemieux 199 point season, the closest anyone else has ever come to 99), against the Devils.

              Lemieux scored ES, PP, SH, penalty shot and empty net (thanks to Jay Caufield who sacrified what would have been one of his six NHL goals. But he got an assist.  Lemieux had 8 points in the game; he'd scored 2+6=8 earlier that season against the Blues and would score 5+3=8 later that season against the Flyers, too.  All 3 of his 8-point games came in 88-89.

              On 1/2/07, moonlightgrm <cirillofam@...> wrote:

              5 ways? Let me guess, penalty shot and empty netter along with the 3
              ways mentioned above? Enlighten me, please.

              Mario Lemiuex is also the answer to the question, "Who is the first
              NHLer to score an even strength goal, a power play goal, and a short-
              handed goal in the same game", according to The Great Sports Trivia
              and Answer Book by Michael Pellowski.

              --- In bash-som@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Connor" <jconnor@...> wrote:

              > Im guessing Jean Beliveau, but that's just a guess.
              >
              > But we all know the first player to score 5 ways in one game --
              and he did
              > it on New Years Eve 1988 I think. 66.
              >

              > On 1/2/07, Chris Shaffer <Alliance255@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Great question John..My guess:Gretzky??
              > >
              > > *moonlightgrm <cirillofam@...>* wrote:
              > >
              > > My son asked me this one and I thought it was worth sharing:
              Who was
              > > the first player in the NHL to score each of the three types of
              goals
              > > in a hockey game? That is, even strength, power play, and short-
              handed.

              > > Hint: It was accomplished after 1960.

              > > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • moonlightgrm
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
                Gretzky may have done it, too. Mario was the first, however.

              • Greg Weston
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
                  Amazingly, Gretzky only had one year with 10+ PPG and 10+ SHG, so he wasn't as likely as I first thought to have done this.

                  Also amazingly, one of his years with 70+ goals he had 11 SHG but only 8 PPG! That's probably why he was +98 that year.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Greg Weston