SPA Kick Start - big changes!

  • Ian@dimestoreproductions.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2004
      Join the SPA Kick Start announcement list! All you have to do is
      send us an e-mail here: SPAKickStart-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      In our continuing efforts to build a better independent/small press
      network, we came up with a weekly newsletter called the Kick Start,
      which we sent out first to hundreds, then to thousands of people's e-
      mail inboxes. It was well received by most, and a usefull, powerful
      tool for keeping people informed on the Small Press Association's
      efforts to build a distributorship for self publishers. Somehow,
      someway, our e-mail delivery meathod ended up getting classified as
      spam by many large mail-host companies all at once. AOL, HotMail,
      and MSN all started refusing our newsletter with no warning. Even
      though anyone on the list could have simply unsubscribed, we believe
      that some people subscribed specifically to be in a position to
      systematically "report" usÂ…causing the situation where we have 3000
      addresses of people who subscribed to the Kick Start, and no way to
      get it to them.

      So our solution goes like this: The Kick Start will become an online-
      only newsletter, and we're going to build a new list to announce
      when the new issue is posted each week. We're going to do it using,
      coincidentially, the Yahoo Groups system that the SPA was born in in
      the first place. Unlike the past however, this SPAKickStart group
      will be a one-way only e-mail that will contain basically just a
      quick "the new issue is up" message, and a link to it. It will come
      out every Monday, and be the only e-mail you will ever get from the
      list.

      We think it has the potential to actually, in the long run, increase
      how many people are reading the Kick Start each week. We know the
      file size of the Kick Start was sometimes larger than people cared
      for in their inboxes. So a tiny link message to the web page will
      hopefully bring in lots of the people that didn't care for that.

      Our first new Kick Start, in the web page format, will be posted
      LATER TODAY, and then every Monday after that. So if you have an
      interest in Small Press Publishing, we hope to see you on the list.
      We've got the memberlist blocked so no one can "harvest" your e-mail
      address from the site, and you can keep it hidden from my view too
      in the sign up process or preferences in there somewhere. Thank you
      everyone, for your continued interest in the Small Press
      Association, look for SPA members at conventions, everywhere!

      To join: SPAKickStart-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Ian Shires
      Dimestore Productions
      www.dimestoreproductions.com