Player IDs

  • Holmes, Dan
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2002
      The use of alphanumeric player Ids, while not preferable for B design, works
      well for ad hoc queries. For example, I have created a switchboard in Access
      that allows users who are not versed in query design to pull up a player's
      career record by entering (or selecting his ID from a list). This is
      preferable to having them remember or identify a player via a number, and
      names don't work because there are several names that have been used by more
      than one player.

      Dan Holmes
    • tom tom
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2002
        Hi,

        Perhaps, to make sure that everyone is up to speed
        with everything that's been discussed and decided in
        the past, we should create an FAQ, like "why are the
        player IDs the way they are, why do we show IPouts,
        where is the slg average, what's a franchise ID ,
        shouldn't this database be more user-friendly", etc,
        etc. Maybe end it with a status like: "still under
        review", "finalized", etc, etc. You can have links
        that point to the relevant yahoo group postings so
        that the newcomer can see what was discussed and why
        things are the way they are.

        Anybody looking for some boring work?

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2009
          http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/article/player_id_mappings_2009/

        • Rod Nelson
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 26, 2009
            Hi Tom - this seems to be a perpetual problem..  Either that, or I'm clueless.

            burneaj01    burnea.01  http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/burnea.01.shtml
            dickera01    dicker01
            drewjd01    drewj.01
            furcara01    furcara02
            garcifr02    garcifr03
            harriwi01    harriwi02
            jonesja04    jonesja05
            lopezro01    lopezro02
            pierzaj01    pierza.01
            romerjc01    romerj.01
            ryanbj01    ryanb.01
            sabatcc01    sabatc.01
            santajo01    santajo02

            Rod Nelson

            On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Tangotiger <tom@...> wrote:
            http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/article/player_id_mappings_2009/

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               baseball-databank-digest@yahoogroups.com
               baseball-databank-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Rod Nelson
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 27, 2009
              I'm not sure I understand the problem. The player_id in the bdb is not
              the same as the player_id on b-r.com. Indeed, there is a b-r.com id in
              the Master table. I presume if you look there, it might resolve whatever
              issue you are seeing?

              Tom