Re: [baseball-databank] Umpires Roster

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2002
      1 Nov 2002, Mike Crain wrote:
      > --- Paul Wendt <pgw@...> wrote:
      > > - If the Umps Roster covers regular season major
      > > leagues 1871-1898 (as it
      > > does for now), then the database should note that
      > > somewhere. To update it
      > > by adding Remsen 1884, for example, is secondary.
      >
      > My new umpires table has data 1871-2002, regular season only. I'm next
      > planning on looking for a source of All-Star/PostSeason umps so I can
      > imput that. Umpires should be treated like payers are. For example,
      > you have BATTING and PITCHING tables, but you also have POSTBATTING
      > and POSTPITCHING tables. So I'll create a POSTUMPIRES table.

      After everyone without a LahmanID has an umpire_ID, there may be a good
      way to create the POSTUMPIRES table from the historical record using the
      shorter IDs in place of fullnames. Or do you use your own abbrev's and
      late expand by global replace?

      I have only 1884, the first championship postseason, recognized by daily
      and weekly nespapers. This is from the season summary, "1884 American
      Association Umpires" by John Schwartz, manuscript 2002.
      23 Oct 1884 John O Kelly
      24 Oct 1884 John J Remsen
      25 Oct 1884 Timothy J Keefe [starting pitcher for NY in games one and
      two, but the best of three series was 2-0 at this point]

      All three are in your umps roster, although Remsen not for 1884.

      --
      TB published World Series box and line scores without Umpires, which is
      odd since contemporary box scores always(?) named the Umpire and there is

      Paul Wendt, Watertown MA, USA <pgw@...>
      Chair, 19th Century Committee, SABR