Scouts Data

  • rockymtnsabr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2002
      Guys,
      Rod Nelson from Denver here. As an introduction to the list, allow me to
      say what my current project is about for those I've not corresponded with
      directly up to this point. I'm a member of SABR's Scouts Research Committee
      (as is Jim Furtado) and recently got my hands on all the data (mostly
      hardcopy) that has been submitted since the groups inception in 1995. The
      project is two-fold; first is the "Who-Signed-Who" database, mapping Scouts
      names, organizations and dates to all the 16,000+ ballplayers that have made
      it to MLB. (I'm tracking who submitted the data and when, as well as the
      source of the information, comments and whether there may be discrepancies,
      etc). Once I've completed the initial input phase, the idea is to make this
      available on baseball-reference.com. There is also an input utility being
      created to be online on the Scouts Committee page at www.sabr.org. I've
      asked Jim to x-reference the Lahman master data to information that we'll
      call Debut Team (which in many cases is different than the Organization
      repsonsible for signing) that will be beneficial to the team of researchers
      in filling in the gaps in the database. I'm posting here to also request of
      Jim (if you've not already knocked it out) to include Birthplace and Death
      Date and Place data because this may also be helpful in assigning players
      where we are still missing Scouts WSW data... I'd like to also request of
      this group, particularly anyone that has worked in this type of biographical
      info rather than performance statistics, for any helpful tips, sources, etc.
      (And no--racial profiling is not going to be any part of my research.)

      Thanks.

      Rod Nelson (SABRscouts@...)

      [more on the second part of the Scouts Project later]