Errors in 1998 database

  • robertowood
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
      Long-time listener, first-time caller.

      Early in August I did some analyses using the 1998 downloadable CSV
      files from The Baseball Archive (baseball1.com). During my analyses,
      I encountered a few errors. I sent comments to Sean Lahman, and he
      suggested that I post them here too.

      Unless I am totally off base, I think I have identified an error in
      the 1998 AL Batting file. There are two entries for Mike Stanton.
      The second one says that he played for Toronto and that he had 341 at
      bats during the season. This is an awful lot of at bats for a late
      inning relief pitcher in a DH league! I don't know if that stat line
      is actually for another player or if it is an extraneous error. (We
      have since identified that these stats are actually for Mike Stanley.)

      In addition, Jer. Allensworth's KC stats are listed in the NL batting
      file rather than the AL batting file.

      Robert Perez's stats with Seattle should appear in the AL batting
      file, not the NL batting file.

      Tony Phillips's stats with Toronto should appear in the AL batting
      file, not the NL batting file. (These players were traded between
      leagues in mid-season.)

      I also note that the team totals do not match the official totals I am
      using from other sources (such as Total Baseball-VII and MLB.com).
      That is, if I add all the stats for all the players listed with a
      certain team, I do not always get the team total. Roughly about half
      the teams match the official totals and about half the teams do not
      seem to match.

      If you'd like, I'd be happy to look into these discrepancies. Maybe
      they are no big deal, maybe you have ways of doing the reconciliation.
      But if you want some help, let me know.

      Thanks much.

      Rob Wood
      Mountain View, California
      robert_wood@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
        robertowood wrote:
        > Long-time listener, first-time caller.
        >
        > Early in August I did some analyses using the 1998 downloadable CSV
        > files from The Baseball Archive (baseball1.com). During my analyses,
        > I encountered a few errors. I sent comments to Sean Lahman, and he
        > suggested that I post them here too.
        >
        > Unless I am totally off base, I think I have identified an error in
        > the 1998 AL Batting file. There are two entries for Mike Stanton.
        > The second one says that he played for Toronto and that he had 341 at
        > bats during the season. This is an awful lot of at bats for a late
        > inning relief pitcher in a DH league! I don't know if that stat line
        > is actually for another player or if it is an extraneous error. (We
        > have since identified that these stats are actually for Mike Stanley.)
        >
        > In addition, Jer. Allensworth's KC stats are listed in the NL batting
        > file rather than the AL batting file.
        >
        > Robert Perez's stats with Seattle should appear in the AL batting
        > file, not the NL batting file.
        >
        > Tony Phillips's stats with Toronto should appear in the AL batting
        > file, not the NL batting file. (These players were traded between
        > leagues in mid-season.)
        >
        > I also note that the team totals do not match the official totals I am
        > using from other sources (such as Total Baseball-VII and MLB.com).
        > That is, if I add all the stats for all the players listed with a
        > certain team, I do not always get the team total. Roughly about half
        > the teams match the official totals and about half the teams do not
        > seem to match.
        >
        > If you'd like, I'd be happy to look into these discrepancies. Maybe
        > they are no big deal, maybe you have ways of doing the reconciliation.
        > But if you want some help, let me know.
        >
        > Thanks much.
        >
        > Rob Wood
        > Mountain View, California
        > robert_wood@...

        Rob,

        Thanks for mentioning these. I think all of these have been caught in
        the new release here.

        http://www.baseball-databank.org/

        I just checked Stanton and he is definitely fixed.

        Baseball Analysis! http://www.BaseballPrimer.com/