Status

  • tmasc
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 19, 2001
      How about a quick status update on where we stand on the "database
      project", and how the rest of us can help?
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 19, 2001
        tmasc wrote:

        > How about a quick status update on where we stand on the "database
        > project", and how the rest of us can help?

        I think a logical next step is for Sean Lahman, myself, and anyone else
        who has substantial corrections to the original Lahman DB to get
        together and hash out a first iteration of the new database. From
        there, I think anyone and everyone can start adding data making
        corrections, etc. Unfortunately, I'm going to be gone for two weeks,
        but I think early in 2002, this should happen very early on.

        What definitely will happen is if anyone has data that is tied to the
        lahman ID's it can be incorporated. I think we can sit tight for a
        couple of weeks and then we'll see some stuff happen after the New Year.

        Baseball Analysis! http://www.BaseballPrimer.com/
      • tmasc
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002
          --- In baseball-databank@y..., Sean Forman <sean-forman@b...> wrote:
          > tmasc wrote:
          > >
          > > How about a quick status update on where we stand on the "database
          > > project", and how the rest of us can help?
          >

          > I think we can sit tight for a
          > couple of weeks and then we'll see some stuff happen after the New
          Year.

          > Sincerely,
          > Sean Forman

          I also remembered someone said that the fielding data on Lahman 4.0
          was wrong starting from Ernie Whitt or Mark Whiten onwards?

          As well, someone put in the files section the list of SQL statements
          to update the bad data.

          Rather than waiting for v5.0, can people create files with the
          corrections? I'm trying to do some fielding work, and this would be
          appreciated.

          Thanks, Tom
        • randycoxclemson
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6 1:10 PM
            > I also remembered someone said that the fielding data on Lahman 4.0
            > was wrong starting from Ernie Whitt or Mark Whiten onwards?
            >
            > As well, someone put in the files section the list of SQL
            > statements to update the bad data.
            >
            > Rather than waiting for v5.0, can people create files with the
            > corrections? I'm trying to do some fielding work, and this would
            > be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks, Tom

            Is this true? It must be, as it would explain why players in the "W-
            Z" range aren't properly appearing in my joined tables when I attempt
            to determine players who played the majority of their careers with
            specific teams (joining both fielding totals and batting totals, with
            a threshhold for each).

            Is there a workaround for those players' fielding stats?

            Thanks, Randy
          • Sean Lahman
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6 1:31 PM
              There is a problem with the fielding data.  I think we're a day or so away from releasing the new database, which is as good a fix as I can think of.

              --S

              randycoxclemson wrote:

               > I also remembered someone said that the fielding data on Lahman 4.0
              > was wrong starting from Ernie Whitt or Mark Whiten onwards?
              >
              > As well, someone put in the files section the list of SQL
              > statements to update the bad data.
              >
              > Rather than waiting for v5.0, can people create files with the
              > corrections?  I'm trying to do some fielding work, and this would
              > be appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks, Tom

              Is this true?  It must be, as it would explain why players in the "W-
              Z" range aren't properly appearing in my joined tables when I attempt
              to determine players who played the majority of their careers with
              specific teams (joining both fielding totals and batting totals, with
              a threshhold for each).

              Is there a workaround for those players' fielding stats?

              Thanks, Randy

              http://www.baseball-databank.org/

            • randycoxclemson
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 14 12:25 PM
                --- In baseball-databank@y..., Sean Lahman <slahman@b...> wrote:
                > There is a problem with the fielding data. I think we're a day
                > or so away from releasing the new database, which is as good a
                > fix as I can think of.
                >
                > --S

                So, has the day or so passed? I am anxiously awaiting the unveiling
                of the new database.
              • John Agius
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 14 4:02 PM

                  I want to see the new database as much as anyone, but I understand it takes time to do it right, and that the people working on it actually have to spend time making a living and have a life.  Sean, and everyone else working on it, take all the time you need and thanks for all you’re doing.

                  John

                  > There is a problem with the fielding data.  I think we're a day
                  > or so away from releasing the new database, which is as good a
                  > fix as I can think of.
                  >
                  > --S

                  So, has the day or so passed?  I am anxiously awaiting the unveiling
                  of the new database.

                  http://www.baseball-databank.org/

                • tom tom
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 14 6:43 PM
                    Obviously, Sean L does not understand the corporate
                    philosophy to underpromise and overdeliver. Next
                    time, Sean, just say it'll be ready in June, and then
                    people will be happy when they get it in March!

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • tangotiger
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 29, 2002
                      Hi guys,

                      Ok, let's get serious now that we'll have many months of no baseball.

                      How about Sean F or Derek A or others posting some outstanding
                      issues, and maybe a tentative schedule as to what we should be doing?

                      Thanks, Tom
                    • Mike Crain
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 29, 2002
                        Good Idea. Here's my ststus:

                        No-hitters has been turned over for the retrosheet game ID's and some
                        smoothing out.

                        My umpires sheet I will soon get to update with 99-2000, and I'm
                        still looking for 2001/2002 info.

                        Coaches has been turned over to compare with TB7.

                        Mike Crain

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 29, 2002
                          tangotiger wrote:
                          > Hi guys,
                          >
                          > Ok, let's get serious now that we'll have many months of no baseball.
                          >
                          > How about Sean F or Derek A or others posting some outstanding
                          > issues, and maybe a tentative schedule as to what we should be doing?
                          >
                          > Thanks, Tom

                          I should have 2002 stats for perusal by the end of this week. I also
                          have HOF voting integrated and about ready to go.

                          I'll try to keep you guys better apprised.

                          Baseball Analysis! http://www.BaseballPrimer.com/
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 30, 2002
                            29 Oct 2002, Sean Forman wrote:

                            > I should have 2002 stats for perusal by the end of this week. I also
                            > have HOF voting integrated and about ready to go.

                            Mike Crain announced the HOF, Umps, and Coaches rosters here and on 19cBB.
                            I have some memos, half in mind and half on paper. I will send them to
                            both places. Sorry about the delay.

                            Paul Wendt, Watertown MA, USA <pgw@...>
                            Chair, 19th Century Committee, SABR
                            Owner-Administrator, 19cBB (egroup at Yahoo)
                          • Mike Crain
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 30, 2002
                              Mr Adair is finishing the no-hitters for me and Rod fromscouts (Who
                              has TB7) is helping me get coaches current. All I nned is 2001/2002
                              umpires (Have't checked MLB yet..most likely there)