Re: [baseball-databank] POLICY - Incorporating new information

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2002
      7 Jul 2002, Sean Forman wrote:

      > [RE: 1900 American League]
      >
      > Not something I want to touch at the moment.

      I did mean adding it as a minor league.

      We have discussed adding minor league data in the abstract, and AL1900
      seems to me one of the first minor leagues that will be completed and
      proofed by volunteers, if any will be done by vols. (I know that Joe
      Wayman has personally done much, but that does not mean complete data.)

      Sean, do you anticipate adding minor league data in the form of and only
      in the form of entire recent seasons from official sources: 1999
      (hypothetical recent season for which all minor league data is available
      in digital form, freely or nearly so, or someone makes a donation), 1998,
      1997, . . .

      --
      By the way, on page one of the current Baseball Records Cmtee newsletter,
      Lyle Spatz calls for comment on whether the 1884 Union Association should

      -- P/\/ \/\/t

      Paul Wendt, Watertown MA, USA <pgw@...>
      near Boston
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2002
        Paul Wendt wrote:
        > 7 Jul 2002, Sean Forman wrote:
        >

        >>[RE: 1900 American League]
        >>
        >>Not something I want to touch at the moment.
        >

        > I did mean adding it as a minor league.
        >
        > We have discussed adding minor league data in the abstract, and AL1900
        > seems to me one of the first minor leagues that will be completed and
        > proofed by volunteers, if any will be done by vols. (I know that Joe
        > Wayman has personally done much, but that does not mean complete data.)
        >
        > Sean, do you anticipate adding minor league data in the form of and only
        > in the form of entire recent seasons from official sources: 1999
        > (hypothetical recent season for which all minor league data is available
        > in digital form, freely or nearly so, or someone makes a donation), 1998,
        > 1997, . . .

        I think that once we get to the point of adding minor league data we
        would certainly want to add this data and the data for any other years.
        I just meant I wanted to get the current DB out the door before adding
        new data. It is certainly welcome to be added. Also, Rod Nelson has a
        couple thousand scouts signings that will be added to the database as well.

        > --
        > By the way, on page one of the current Baseball Records Cmtee newsletter,
        > Lyle Spatz calls for comment on whether the 1884 Union Association should
        > be contracted: whether the Cmtee should endorse minor league status.

        I think if the records committee comes out with an endorsement we should
        consider it. It wouldn't be like we would throw out the Union Assoc.
        stats. It might make sense to give them as an addon, or include them in
        the main DB with a note and the SQL commands to delete them if desired.

        Baseball Analysis! http://www.BaseballPrimer.com/