2001 inconsisitencies relative to existing database
- Some miscellaneous problems I found while loading the 2001 update into a
copy of the existing Access 97 database. Although largely trivial, such
things tend to pile up against the goal of maintaining a consistent
Teams.Pos and Teams.Ballpark are missing from the text file.
Teams.IP is defined as an integer field in the existing database, resulting
in truncation, rather than rounding, of all thirds of innings.
Historically, even in years when innings were officially defined as being
rounded to the nearest whole number, the database has all fractions in
Teams.IP truncated rather than rounded.
Batting.Pos contains scoring symbols 1 thru 9 in 2001, as opposed to all
prior years when it contained "PC123SO". In addition, the asterisk,
previously used to indicate a position at which a player played 100 or more
games, now appears with a minimum of 67 games.
The following might trip you up while loading the tables, although they can
be worked around. In the text files, several of the field names are spelled
differently and appear in a different order than the database definitions.
The lines of the text files end with a linefeed (‘0a'x) only, rather than a
carriage return (‘0d'x), which caused my Visual Basic program not to
recognize the end of each record. I got around this by opening each file
with a word processing program and saving a copy in text format. (Trying
this with a spreadsheet program converted many of the Batting.Pos fields